Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week: In Jamaica
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
MyBB Game Week: In Jamaica
After a quick trip to Denton, TX and a win (Vegas had N. Texas by 9) the team gets to root for EMU FB before heading to sunny and hot Jamaica.

The team will be rewarded with two games on the island with temps in the upper 80s, sunshine, and two national TV audience games.

Friday's afternoon's game is 2 p.m. and Sunday's at noon.

Both games are very winnable. One is vs. UMBC, whom BobW thought was destined for greatness after upsetting UVa in the NCAAs (okay that will be a trivia question: Which team is the only #16 to beat a #1 seed in the NCAAs?). Instead UVa bounced back and experienced hoops greatness this past season. I remember the old saying about 'outhouse' and 'penthouse.' UVa went from the outhouse to penthouse in one season. Kind of amazing: being the only #1 seed to lose in the opening round and then winning the national championship the next season.

I know less about N.C. A&T.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2019 04:53 AM by emu steve.)
11-17-2019 04:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Online
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Week: In Jamaica
Oddly enough, UMBC is 4-0 with 3 non-D1 wins and a true road win, just like us. They play LSU on Tuesday before heading to Jamaica. Stat-wise, they are very balanced like we are, with 5 guys averaging double figures. They did struggle with their shooting against FGCU, who doesn’t appear to be a very good team this season. Should be a good game. We will see how they fare against the zone.

NC A&T is 1-3 with 3 blow out losses. They don’t shoot well, and they give up a lot of points. That game is a must-win.

I’ll be happy with a split, but I think 2-0 is very realistic.
11-17-2019 07:33 AM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

Also, and I had to double check this on their website, UMBC’s leading scorer is Darnell Rogers, who is listed at 5’2. That has to be the shortest player I’ve ever seen in college hoops. Our entire backcourt is a full foot taller than him. But he can fill it up, apparently. He’s shooting 52% from the field and 50% from three on the season.
11-17-2019 07:37 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(11-17-2019 07:33 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Oddly enough, UMBC is 4-0 with 3 non-D1 wins and a true road win, just like us. They play LSU on Tuesday before heading to Jamaica. Stat-wise, they are very balanced like we are, with 5 guys averaging double figures. They did struggle with their shooting against FGCU, who doesn’t appear to be a very good team this season. Should be a good game. We will see how they fare against the zone.

NC A&T is 1-3 with 3 blow out losses. They don’t shoot well, and they give up a lot of points. That game is a must-win.

I bet BobW will be watching. UMBC played FGCU, both part of his 'Cinderella Cadres.'

I redefine "March Madness" when Bob goes on some kick for a NCAA tourney Cinderella.

I hope CMU doesn't become a March Madness Cinderella. 03-lmfao
11-17-2019 07:47 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(11-17-2019 07:37 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Also, and I had to double check this on their website, UMBC’s leading scorer is Darnell Rogers, who is listed at 5’2. That has to be the shortest player I’ve ever seen in college hoops. Our entire backcourt is a full foot taller than him. But he can fill it up, apparently. He’s shooting 52% from the field and 50% from three on the season.

I double checked Blue Ribbon Yearbook and they have him at 5' 3" so apparently he is vertically challenged.
11-17-2019 07:53 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2019 07:47 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-17-2019 07:33 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  Oddly enough, UMBC is 4-0 with 3 non-D1 wins and a true road win, just like us. They play LSU on Tuesday before heading to Jamaica. Stat-wise, they are very balanced like we are, with 5 guys averaging double figures. They did struggle with their shooting against FGCU, who doesn’t appear to be a very good team this season. Should be a good game. We will see how they fare against the zone.

I bet BobW will be watching. UMBC played FGCU, both part of his 'Cinderella Cadres.'

I redefine "March Madness" when Bob goes on some kick for a NCAA tourney Cinderella.

What UMBC did in the 2018 NCAA tourney was amazing. Yeah they made history by beating a #1 seed but they proved they were no fluke by battling Kansas State and nearly beating them. For a small, commuter school, not too bad. Those kids will be telling that story to their grandkids what a legacy! Dreams are possible.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/03/1...un-effect/
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019 07:35 AM by Bob Wickersham.)
11-18-2019 07:34 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(11-18-2019 07:34 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

What UMBC did in the 2018 NCAA tourney was amazing. Yeah they made history by beating a #1 seed but they proved they were no fluke by battling Kansas State and nearly beating them. For a small, commuter school, not too bad. Those kids will be telling that story to their grandkids what a legacy! Dreams are possible.

That is true. I do think miracles happen: 1969 Mets, 1966 EMU Hurons (CWS), 2018 UMBC, 2019 Washington Nationals, etc.

Even kudos to the 2018 Vegas NHL team which made the Stanley Cup finals as an expansion team.

The "anything can happen" mantra is one of the joy of sports. 02-13-banana

In 1977 I "beat*" the defending Olympic marathoner, Frank Shorter, in the NYC marathon. I 'let' him take a huge lead as I was an inexperienced marathoner and he dropped out (injured) around 15 miles and I passed him to finish the marathon... and a victory alas with an asterisk... Frank got the notorious DNF (did not finish). I got a finisher's medal.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019 07:44 AM by emu steve.)
11-18-2019 07:38 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(11-18-2019 07:38 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

That is true. I do think miracles happen: 1969 Mets, 1966 EMU Hurons (CWS), 2018 UMBC, 2019 Washington Nationals, etc.

Even kudos to the 2018 Vegas NHL team which made the Stanley Cup finals as an expansion team.

In 1977 I "beat*" the defending Olympic marathoner, Frank Shorter, in the NYC marathon. I 'let' him take a huge lead as I was an inexperienced marathoner and he dropped out (injured) around 15 miles and I passed him to finish the marathon... and a victory alas with an asterisk... Frank got the notorious DNF (did not finish). I got a finisher's medal.

Still Jets over Colts 1968 Superbowl is hard to beat
11-18-2019 08:42 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(11-18-2019 08:42 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

Still Jets over Colts 1968 Superbowl is hard to beat

Yep. Another shocker.
11-18-2019 08:50 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I'm guessing that UMBC will essentially be a 'toss up' game. Guessing maybe we could be say a 1-point favorite.

We should be a big favorite, say 10 - 12 points, over N.C. A&T.
11-18-2019 04:42 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Minor correction Steve, EMU's runner up finish in the CWS was 1976 after an appearance in 1975.

Congrats on taking down Shorter and for that matter just finishing the marathon.
11-20-2019 05:14 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(11-20-2019 05:14 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Minor correction Steve, EMU's runner up finish in the CWS was 1976 after an appearance in 1975.

Congrats on taking down Shorter and for that matter just finishing the marathon.

Understood on CWS. Finishing runner-up was a huge accomplishment.

"Beating" Frank Shorter was just an anomaly. I forget how many finishers there were. It was the 2nd NYC run through all 5 boroughs so maybe 10,000 finishers? So there would have been say 10,000 who beat Frank.

Kind of like winning on a forfeit.
11-20-2019 07:07 PM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

From Chad’s pictures on twitter, it looks like Gibson is practicing and Binelli isn’t yet. He’s out of the boot, though.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2019 09:05 PM by EagleSam.)
11-20-2019 09:05 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(11-20-2019 09:05 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  From Chad’s pictures on twitter, it looks like Gibson is practicing and Binelli isn’t yet. He’s out of the boot, though.

I think Murphy might have finally put all the pieces together as far as A true PG, 4 good shooters, some size, and 1 big man, etc......Maybe 2 new pieces coming soon based on pictures? Only time will tell with wins and losses! Ten new players is still amazing!
11-20-2019 10:07 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(11-20-2019 09:05 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  From Chad’s pictures on twitter, it looks like Gibson is practicing and Binelli isn’t yet. He’s out of the boot, though.

That's encouraging. I could see redshirting Gibson if the season was struggling this season, but if we have a decent team then he and Binelli will be big help in conference.

This team can get much better talent wise this season.
11-21-2019 06:25 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

I don't like Rob Murphy. Therefore I will not engage in any watching of this team all season. Bye, Felicia.
11-21-2019 12:09 PM
Advertisement

EagleSam Online
Heisman

(11-21-2019 12:09 PM)JonesGoddard Wrote:  I don't like Rob Murphy. Therefore I will not engage in any watching of this team all season. Bye, Felicia.

Good to know.
11-21-2019 12:44 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-21-2019 12:09 PM)JonesGoddard Wrote:  I don't like Rob Murphy. Therefore I will not engage in any watching of this team all season. Bye, Felicia.

C'mon JG, I was enraged when I heard about the surreptitious contract extension he received. I despise the fact that his principal residence is in New York. I think he mails it in with respect to program promotion and campus involvement. His player development skills just plain suck. His devotion to the 2-3 zone is akin to a NCAA football coach devoted to running the I formation offense, insisting that it will work in today's game. Finally his star players tend to run all over him and as a result, his most talented teams have seriously underachieved.

That being said, I am a committed EMU fan as you are. Murphy is light years better than his two predecessors and has made EMU basketball relevant again. I'm rooting for him because he is the only MBB coach that I have. C'mon man, we NEED you back!
11-21-2019 05:57 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Today is Game Day in Jamaica.

After a week of nationally televised impeachment inquiry hearings, EMU gets its big chance again to have the spotlight in the early afternoon on national television [CBS SN]. (don't forget Tuesday's game was nationally televised on ESPN-U). I don't expect 13M viewers will watch today's game. 03-lmfao

Today's opponent is UMBC. Which team will come to play? Or which team came to play in Montego Bay?

I just bought the Blue Ribbon Yearbook, print version, and will try to go over it before game time. I did see that Darnell Rogers is a vertically challenged JUCO PG who was brought in to speed the tempo after opponents made baskets. We'll see if EMU can set up its zone after scoring.

UMBC was not a high scoring team last year. Think they play to win ugly games. Horvath and Lamar are two forwards who can rebound and score.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2019 05:27 AM by emu steve.)
11-22-2019 04:56 AM
EagleSam Online
Heisman

Today is probably a good day to avoid pressing. Rogers will break it by himself and have us scattered. We will likely go back to the olden days where no one crashes the offensive glass except Toure. No one likes slow, ugly games more than Murphy, and that’s what we should turn this into. Make them take as many threes as possible. They’re only shooting 31% from 3 on the year.

I’m looking for our bigger guards (Barnes, Montero) to take advantage of having a 5’2 guy guarding them. It would be wise to play those two together if we can. Montero had a good game against North Texas, but Barnes needs to bounce back. Looking for our 3-ball to wake up from Morgan and James as well.

Should be a good early test!
11-22-2019 07:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.