Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

jeff bower extension
Bookmark and Share
safetyeagle Offline
POOTNANNY

I Root For: USM

well im sure thames f'd it up. i wished Aubrey K was still at USM. They should give our coach what he wants.Rick is right on this one

<a href='http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040822/COL0504/40822009/1173/SPORTS' target='_blank'>rick cleveland article</a>

Quote:Bower could have taken other jobs for more money. He turned down Houston and hundreds of thousands of more dollars. He turned down TCU when Dennis Franchione left. He would have made more money there, too.

But it never has been about money with Bower, who doesn't make half of what David Cutcliffe gets at Ole Miss or Sly Croom gets at State.

It's about the place.

He played quarterback at USM. He married his college sweetheart, Debbie Pawlik, who was Miss Southern Mississippi and a Golden Eagles cheerleader. His first coaching job was at USM.

Bower likes to hire USM people. Four of his assistants are USM graduates, including three who played for him. In many cases, Bower has trained young coaches on the job.

He and his staff did one of the best coaching jobs in school history last season when the Eagles recovered from losing their starting quarterback and two of their first four games to win seven of their last eight.

They finished 8-0 in Conference USA. Yes, they played poorly and lost 17-0 to Utah in the Liberty Bowl, but 10 other C-USA schools wish they could say the same.
08-22-2004 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cyc46 Offline
Eagle for Life!

I Root For: Southern Miss

I think this is more a subject for et ep and the Southern Miss forum on this board.
08-22-2004 04:18 PM
MaroonFrog Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU

Crappies

Congratulations on extending the contract with Bower, I don't have to tell you that he's a good one to hold on to.
08-22-2004 05:03 PM
Advertisement

RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

safetyeagle Wrote:well im sure thames f'd it up. i wished Aubrey K was still at USM. They should give our coach what he wants.Rick is right on this one

<a href='http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040822/COL0504/40822009/1173/SPORTS' target='_blank'>rick cleveland article</a>

Quote:Bower could have taken other jobs for more money. He turned down Houston and hundreds of thousands of more dollars. He turned down TCU when Dennis Franchione left. He would have made more money there, too.

But it never has been about money with Bower, who doesn't make half of what David Cutcliffe gets at Ole Miss or Sly Croom gets at State.

It's about the place.

He played quarterback at USM. He married his college sweetheart, Debbie Pawlik, who was Miss Southern Mississippi and a Golden Eagles cheerleader. His first coaching job was at USM.

Bower likes to hire USM people. Four of his assistants are USM graduates, including three who played for him. In many cases, Bower has trained young coaches on the job.

He and his staff did one of the best coaching jobs in school history last season when the Eagles recovered from losing their starting quarterback and two of their first four games to win seven of their last eight.

They finished 8-0 in Conference USA. Yes, they played poorly and lost 17-0 to Utah in the Liberty Bowl, but 10 other C-USA schools wish they could say the same.
Honestly it seems like they think they can make another hire like Eustachy. I say they can't. We'll see. Thames may be cutting off his own legs with this one. Maybe he needs to concentrate on the academic side considering how he's running a tier 4 school right now.
08-22-2004 10:04 PM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

cyc46 Wrote:I think this is more a subject for et ep and the Southern Miss forum on this board.
Actually, that's the problem. They haven't come to an agreement on the contract.
08-22-2004 11:51 PM
Advertisement

safetyeagle Offline
POOTNANNY

RockTheRock Wrote:
safetyeagle Wrote:well im sure thames f'd it up. i wished Aubrey K was still at USM. They should give our coach what he wants.Rick is right on this one

It's about the place.

Honestly it seems like they think they can make another hire like Eustachy. I say they can't. We'll see. Thames may be cutting off his own legs with this one. Maybe he needs to concentrate on the academic side considering how he's running a tier 4 school right now.
i agree, i dopnt think they could find anyone better than coach bower to be our coach
08-23-2004 07:31 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

I agree that Bower is the best coach for you guys. I can't see any reason for him to have to leave. You guys have the best program in C-USA. Does the university president have his head up his a$$?
08-23-2004 08:36 AM
Advertisement

RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

If you want one of the problems Bower has in a nutshell, go look at the Clarion-Ledger's Dandy Dozen list for this year. Listed is Archie Sims, a great LB prospect from West Jones. The coach there is a Southern Miss grad and very friendly to our coaching staff. Yet, the kid lists Memphis as one of his favorites and not Southern Miss. We're getting seriously outworked on the recruiting trail if a defensive player 30 miles up the road is interested in Memphis and not us.

I can see them considering the SEC schools, but not Memphis over us, given our track record in C-USA.

In addition, we are listed by 4 of the Dandy Dozen. MSU, coming off three terrible seasons in a row, with a new coach, and with probation staring them in the face, is listed by 9.

Also, the player from Hattiesburg does not list us in his top 5. Again, see the seriously outworked comment.l

We are getting absolutely trounced in recruiting in the state of Mississippi.
08-23-2004 08:51 AM
safetyeagle Offline
POOTNANNY

RockTheRock Wrote:We are getting absolutely trounced in recruiting in the state of Mississippi.
sure , but we get plenty out of bama & louisiana, i dont think recruiting is that big of a problem, he does recruit good athletes,
he just needs to better on QB's,RB's. & WR's
08-23-2004 11:15 AM
Advertisement

RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

The problem with the LA and AL recruits are that they're being picked over by LSU, Bama, Auburn, etc.

Corky managed to sign 4 of the baseball dandy dozen last spring in addition to some top players from LA and TN. Why? He works the heck out the MS high schools AND the other states.
08-23-2004 11:28 AM
safetyeagle Offline
POOTNANNY

ok ill concede he doesnt recruit MS well, but that still doesnt make him a terrible coach. we have 10 straight winning seasons how many other colleges in MS have that? yeah and they got most of the blue chippers
08-23-2004 11:42 AM
RockTheRock Offline
Special Teams

I didn't say he was a terrible coach. He's a good coach who needs to work on in-state recruiting. Maybe some of those Nebraska/Cal/Penn State/Bama losses would be more competitive if we were getting some of the better in-state talent. Remember, I said he should be extended. I'm just saying part of the criticisms can be traced to weak in-state recruiting.
08-23-2004 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.