Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

House votes to recognize Armenian Genocide
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
House votes to recognize Armenian Genocide
Is this a political stunt in reaction to recent developments in Turkey and their relation to Trump? Absolutely. Does it do nothing in reality? Absolutely. Is this long overdue? Same answer as the previous two question.

Quote:The House passed a resolution on Tuesday officially recognizing and rebuking the Ottoman Empire's genocide against the Armenian people and rejecting any efforts to enlist the U.S. government in denying that the genocide took place.

Proponents of the long-delayed measure, which passed in a 405-11 vote, argue that it's a necessary and overdue step in providing justice for Armenians. Three lawmakers voted present.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/46797...n-genocide

If anyone is curious who voted no, present (most notably Ilhan Omar), or didn't vote (Tulsi Gabbard), here you are:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll591.xml#N
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 09:52 PM by Love and Honor.)
10-29-2019 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: House votes to recognize Armenian Genocide
Done now to make things difficult for Trump.
10-29-2019 08:49 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
We are now passing resolutions to address atrocities that happened 100+ years ago in another country by a regime that has been dead and gone since 1922. Great. Really fabulous use of time and resources, folks.

Why not go back to the mid 1300’s and we can make a list of grievances from the start.

Dorks.
10-29-2019 10:11 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
AOC’s backers (the “Young Turks”) are some of the only people that deny the genocide, I’m surprised she voted for it. I imagine it just wasn’t worth the controversy for them.

Not surprised deplorable omar voted present.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 10:21 PM by Kronke.)
10-29-2019 10:20 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-29-2019 08:49 PM)bullet Wrote:  Done now to make things difficult for Trump.

So thoughtless of them. What they should have done instead is all jointly tweeted out "Turks are human scum".

Yeah, that's the responsible and statesman-like way to make a political point.
10-30-2019 05:43 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(10-29-2019 10:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  We are now passing resolutions to address atrocities that happened 100+ years ago in another country by a regime that has been dead and gone since 1922. Great. Really fabulous use of time and resources, folks.

Why not go back to the mid 1300’s and we can make a list of grievances from the start.

Dorks.

every single bit of ^^^^

the shitehole that is congress just discovered another 'shining moment'....

#fk'nTards
10-30-2019 06:08 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
For those who don't know, this is a REALLY sensitive subject for the Turks. Its partly about their legitimacy. They created their country partly by murdering and driving out Armenians. They are in denial about it. Its their Taiwan issue.
10-30-2019 07:54 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(10-30-2019 07:54 AM)bullet Wrote:  For those who don't know, this is a REALLY sensitive subject for the Turks. Its partly about their legitimacy. They created their country partly by murdering and driving out Armenians. They are in denial about it. Its their Taiwan issue.

Yep. Interesting how this came back up in the House now though. It's all politics.
10-30-2019 07:59 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(10-29-2019 10:20 PM)Kronke Wrote:  AOC’s backers (the “Young Turks”) are some of the only people that deny the genocide, I’m surprised she voted for it. I imagine it just wasn’t worth the controversy for them.

Not surprised deplorable omar voted present.

Of course the Young Turks were the revolution backers and perpetrators of the Armenian Genocide.
10-30-2019 08:14 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(10-30-2019 07:54 AM)bullet Wrote:  For those who don't know, this is a REALLY sensitive subject for the Turks. Its partly about their legitimacy. They created their country partly by murdering and driving out Armenians. They are in denial about it. Its their Taiwan issue.

well, we killed off the natives and gave them 'plots', the brits, bought the spanish and the french, took from the mexicali crew (not enough IMO), and imported slaves ....

sound familiar???
10-30-2019 08:24 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
There is one solution that offers any hope of peace in the Middle East, in two parts.

1. Split Iraq into Kurdistan in the north, Shia Mesopotamia in the east, and Sunni Iraq in the west. Join Sunni Iraq with the Sunni eastern 2/3 of Syria, leaving Syria with the Shia (Alawite) area in the mountains around Damascus and along the Mediterranean coast. Make Kurdistan large enough to absorb considerable return migration from eastern Turkey and northern Syria, and encourage (but do not force) such migration.
2. Bribe Egypt with enough money and infrastructure for them to get their economy on its feet, in return for all of Sinai east of 33 degrees east. They cannot police it now, it is essentially lawless, and as long as they have a buffer to the east of the Suez Canal, they should be okay. Give the part between 33 and 34 east to the Palestinians as a return to their traditional ancestral homeland. Don't force anyone to move, but make it far more attractive than Gaza (easy) and even more attractive than the West Bank (harder but doable). Israel gets everything east of 34 east. That gives both of them some oil, some very attractive beaches and dive spots for tourists, and gives Israel Sharm el-Sheikh and control of the west bank of the Gulf of Aqaba all the way to the Red Sea, which is strategically very important to them. Consider make the Wadi al Arish the boundary between Israel and Palestine in the north, put in a couple of dams to hold water, and fill them with water pumped up form seawater desalinization plants on the coast. This creates a water supply for literally thousands of square miles of desert. Israel gets the West Bank, and possibly do the Tom Clancy solution where Jerusalem becomes an international city in exchange for Islamic recognition of Isreal's right to exist as a nation.

These are not cheap solutions, but they are at least workable. Each resulting nation would be essentially populated by people with religion and ethnicity in common, and each would have a legitimate chance to defend itself militarily and create a viable economy.
10-30-2019 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.