Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice vs. Southern Miss pregame
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Southern Mississippi comes to Rice Stadium on Saturday. They must win the game after losing to Louisiana Tech last week.

Abraham is completing 70 percent of his passes, while Rice can't find a quarterback.

The line opened at -13, but is now down to -10. The over/under is 53. I think they'll beat us easily...42 - 21.

Thoughts? Predictions?
10-22-2019 05:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Rice vs. Southern Miss pregame
(10-22-2019 05:10 PM)Ourland Wrote:  ...
Thoughts? Predictions?

I think I'll be there and the weather predictions look cool enough to wear a fez.
10-22-2019 05:58 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-22-2019 05:10 PM)Ourland Wrote:  Southern Mississippi comes to Rice Stadium on Saturday. They must win the game after losing to Louisiana Tech last week.

Abraham is completing 70 percent of his passes, while Rice can't find a quarterback.

The line opened at -13, but is now down to -10. The over/under is 53. I think they'll beat us easily...42 - 21.

Thoughts? Predictions?

If I were a betting man...

USM to cover and the over.
10-22-2019 06:00 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Well I'm not sure about the game now after last week's disappointment, but there are two weather scenarios which could make the game interesting at least from a weather standpoint. According to Space City weather, there is a big uncertainty over this weekend's forecast.

"One camp of models, led by the GFS model, brings this system eastward pretty quickly, and drives a strong cold front into Houston on Friday. Under this scenario, we may see a smattering of rain as the front blows through, with much colder weather afterward. (low 60's at best on Saturday with a strong wind to boot). The second camp of models, led by the European forecast model, holds up the front, allowing a surge of tropical moisture to push into Texas on Friday and Saturday. Under this scenario, Friday is rainy and muggy. Saturday's forecast depends entirely on what happens with the cold front. If it makes it through, as the GFS suggests, Saturday will be sunny and cool. If it does not, Saturday will be warm (in the 70s) and wet. It is conceivable that, in the slow-front scenario, Houston picks up 1 to 4 inches of rainfall on Friday and Saturday."

So we're looking at sunny and dry (which probably favors USM), or wet and warm (which probably still favors USM based on our fumbilitis issues).
10-22-2019 06:04 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

The forecasts I see have the front coming through Friday evening. If so, it should be clear and cool Saturday, and a 'beautiful day for outdoor football!' Don't stay home. Let's get out and support these players.
10-22-2019 06:21 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Here’s a brief scouting report on us:

- our special teams have scored 4 TDs...twice on the opening kickoff, another one for 100 yards along with a punt return TD. Our FG kicker has been almost automatic

- on offense QB Abraham is at his best on passes of 10 yards or less and then let our WRs do their magic. Watkins and Adams are his 2 favorite targets. Abraham’s completion percentage on passes more than 15 yards downfield is probably less than 50%. He had 4 INTs through 6 games but then matches that with 4 more at LaTech with 3 of those coming in the 4th quarter. Our running game has to be in the bottom 4 of CUSA and our best current RB got hurt at La Tech and is doubtful to play Saturday. Our "best running plays" are more or less a quick pass within 2 yards of the LOS and then letting our WRs create missed tackles.

- on defense we’ve been torched by just about any team with firepower. Troy put up 528 yards and 42 points, UNT put up 378 yards and 27 points (UNT’s QB got hurt mid 3rd Q and they struggled rest of game) and then La Tech put up 476 yards and 45 points. Of our 6 FBS games UTEP is the only team we kept under 27 points.

IMO the key to beating us is a ball control offense, while on defense loading the box and forcing our QB to beat you on the long passes. As well, do sky kicks (or squib kicks/pooch punts) as our return game has the ability to score at will. Here’s to a fun filled injury free game.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019 09:36 AM by usm99.)
10-22-2019 08:06 PM
Advertisement

flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
Weather is the only unpredictable variable this weekend. What is predictable is that we will lay an egg on the field. Such is the life of a solitary bird.
10-22-2019 08:27 PM
Barney Offline
All American

Can anyone give an injury update for us?
10-22-2019 09:01 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

We have a lot of injuries. Andrew Bird, Naeem Smith, and Austin Walter all left the game with injuries. Anthony Ekbe is out. There are a couple more players out whose names I can't think of right now. Their status is unknown for Saturday. We'll be playing shorthanded.
10-22-2019 09:47 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-22-2019 09:47 PM)Ourland Wrote:  We have a lot of injuries. Andrew Bird, Naeem Smith, and Austin Walter all left the game with injuries. Anthony Ekbe is out. There are a couple more players out whose names I can't think of right now. Their status is unknown for Saturday. We'll be playing shorthanded.

It's the 8th game of the season. EVERYBODY is playing shorthanded at this point.
10-22-2019 11:05 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-22-2019 11:06 PM)Ourland Wrote:  Someone asked. I answered.

Fair enough.
10-22-2019 11:07 PM
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

I hope there QB sprains a finger before Saturday. That guy is shredding defenses.
10-22-2019 11:09 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(10-22-2019 11:09 PM)Ourland Wrote:  I hope there QB sprains a finger before Saturday. That guy is shredding defenses.

I don't wish injuries on opposing players.

But in the spirit of the season (and MNF), I hope he's seeing ghosts.
10-23-2019 06:01 PM
wiessguy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Da Owls
We lose 8-0 to go 0-8
10-23-2019 07:00 PM
RiceOL83 Offline
2nd String

Agree Outland. Folks get out there and support the kids. A win would be huge for their moral but I see USM destroying our secondary.

USM 52-13
10-23-2019 11:27 PM
Hootnhowln Offline
Water Engineer

(10-23-2019 11:27 PM)RiceOL83 Wrote:  Agree Outland. Folks get out there and support the kids. A win would be huge for their moral but I see USM destroying our secondary.

USM 52-13

Agree! Could be really ugly but the players deserve the support. Most of these guys game from winning programs and have played in championship games. Think the current seniors have only won 6 games while at Rice. If the die hard fans are frustrated, can only imagine what these guys are experiencing.
10-24-2019 07:40 AM
Advertisement

Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
Fearless (fearful?) Prediction Southern Miss 34 - Rice 13:

The Golden Eagles get off to a quick start as they return the initial kickoff for a touchdown. Returner Jaylond Adams promptly turns his ankle on his way back to the sidelines due to a "Houston pothole" that is found on the Rice Stadium turf in the endzone. After calling the city, which promises to repair the divot within 24 hours, Mayoral Candidate Tony Buzbee accuses the current city administration of corruption while simultaneously mailing opposing quarterback Jack Abraham a half a million dollar check for his campaign to win the Johnny Unitas award. Meanwhile, Bret Favre, who is on the Southern Mississippi sideline, is swearing at Coach Jay Hopson because he believes he still has one more season of eligibility remaining and wants to be on the field.

Despite the chaos on the Golden Eagle side of the field, Southern Miss is able to hold the pound the rock offense to 127 total yards and collects 7 quarterback sacks and a blocked extra point.

Can you tell that I am running out of ideas???
10-24-2019 04:01 PM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
(10-24-2019 04:01 PM)Kayjay Wrote:  Fearless (fearful?) Prediction Southern Miss 34 - Rice 13:

The Golden Eagles get off to a quick start as they return the initial kickoff for a touchdown. Returner Jaylond Adams promptly turns his ankle on his way back to the sidelines due to a "Houston pothole" that is found on the Rice Stadium turf in the endzone. After calling the city, which promises to repair the divot within 24 hours, Mayoral Candidate Tony Buzbee accuses the current city administration of corruption while simultaneously mailing opposing quarterback Jack Abraham a half a million dollar check for his campaign to win the Johnny Unitas award. Meanwhile, Bret Favre, who is on the Southern Mississippi sideline, is swearing at Coach Jay Hopson because he believes he still has one more season of eligibility remaining and wants to be on the field.

Despite the chaos on the Golden Eagle side of the field, Southern Miss is able to hold the pound the rock offense to 127 total yards and collects 7 quarterback sacks and a blocked extra point.

Can you tell that I am running out of ideas???

What about the second half?
10-24-2019 08:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(10-22-2019 08:06 PM)usm99 Wrote:  Here’s a brief scouting report on us:

- our special teams have scored 4 TDs...twice on the opening kickoff, another one for 100 yards along with a punt return TD. Our FG kicker has been almost automatic

Our strategy is to keep the ball out of the hands of your dangerous kickoff returners by not kicking off.

(Or scoring)
10-24-2019 10:39 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

It should be clear and about 62 degrees at kickoff.
10-24-2019 10:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.