Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019 World Series
grol Online
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
2019 World Series
This Houston event needs it's own thread:

Many Rice mentions via Anthony Rendon, including quote from Wayne Graham speculating on greatest Rice MLB baseball player ever: Will have to play longer (than Berkman), but will certainly be the highest paid.

One of many
10-22-2019 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

grol Online
Baseball Fan

Donators
RE: 2019 World Series
10-22-2019 10:48 AM
chrisc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
Not Rice related, but I like this article from the Austin American Statesman about how

Quote:The American League is being represented by a team in a city long associated with the National League. And the National League is being represented by a team in a city long associated with the American League.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20191021/...texas-team
10-22-2019 01:20 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
I was thinking the same (NL/AL). As some may know, Houston was a St Louis farm team forever, so the NL ties go back to the 1921 (when per Wikipedia-how did we live without Wikipedia and IMDB?-when the cardinals bought a controlling interest in the Buffs). And obviously Washington was an original AL team until they moved to Minnesota, then there was an expansion Senators who moved to Dallas as those awful Rangers.

Guess it's worked out ok, but still hate Bud Selig......
10-22-2019 02:44 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
[Image: EHgC_-4W4AAjWXL?format=jpg&name=small]

Anyone know where this billboard is in Houston? I guess it's a good idea if AR is generous to Rice with his pending free agent contract. But I hope it doesn't annoy the Astros at the same time.
10-22-2019 03:48 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
BTW, one interesting element to this Series is it shows you how incredibly deep and talented the 2011 MLB draft was.

Gerrit Cole #1 overall pick
Anthony Rendon #6 overall pick
George Springer #11 overall pick

Other prominent All-Stars in the 1st round include Trevor Bauer, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, the late Jose Fernandez and Sonny Gray. Also, Mookie Betts was a 5th round pick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Major...ball_draft

I wonder if any recent draft has come close to this one?
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019 03:55 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
10-22-2019 03:51 PM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Four players with CUSA ties in this year's World Series:

Nationals:
Anthony Rendon (Rice)
Brian Dozier (USM)
Daniel Hudson (ODU)

Astros:
Justin Verlander (ODU)
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2019 04:05 PM by usm99.)
10-22-2019 04:03 PM
grol Online
Baseball Fan

Donators
The big pre-story yesterday was the pitching matchup - as it should be: Great pitchers to highlight game 1. The reality was both pitchers looked human. Scherzer struggled more than Cole, but ended up with the win.

Again today the story will be the two starting pitchers, Strasburg and Verlander. Will be interested to see if we see another game 1 or a real pitchers duel.

The odds that the Nationals would win the WS were slim. A friend paid $100 to win $2900 if the Nationals win. After last night, maybe the odds have evened a bit.
10-23-2019 10:15 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Nats making the Astros look like Rice football so far - close, but can’t find a way to win.

Well, now not even close.

And it got even worse. Ugly effort from the Astros.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019 11:16 PM by Tomball Owl.)
10-23-2019 09:57 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
94 rockets
10-23-2019 11:26 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-23-2019 11:26 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  94 rockets

Astros fans can only hope.
10-23-2019 11:29 PM
Advertisement

75src Offline
All American

Good luck except when he plays the Astros. Astros are my AL team and the Nats are my NL teams.

(10-22-2019 03:48 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  [Image: EHgC_-4W4AAjWXL?format=jpg&name=small]

Anyone know where this billboard is in Houston? I guess it's a good idea if AR is generous to Rice with his pending free agent contract. But I hope it doesn't annoy the Astros at the same time.
10-24-2019 12:33 AM
grol Online
Baseball Fan

Donators
Wayne Graham is going to be on MLB radio, Sirius XM, starting around 2:35 today.

Rendon of course
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2019 02:32 PM by grol.)
10-24-2019 02:28 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Home field advantage seems to be nonexistent in this series.
10-26-2019 09:21 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Tonight is the first game Washington has probably been favored for the whole series. If Houston wins tonight, momentum clearly swings back to them. Both of the 3B have been kind of meh in this series (Rendon has hit the ball harder than Bregman, but neither have shown signs of what they're capable of). You still kind of think that one or both of them are going to have a big game one of these nights.
10-26-2019 09:42 AM
Jonathan Sadow Offline
1st String

I Root For: Strigids
New Orleans Bowl
(10-26-2019 09:42 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Tonight is the first game Washington has probably been favored for the whole series. If Houston wins tonight, momentum clearly swings back to them. Both of the 3B have been kind of meh in this series (Rendon has hit the ball harder than Bregman, but neither have shown signs of what they're capable of). You still kind of think that one or both of them are going to have a big game one of these nights.

Bregman scores first here - 3 for 5 with a grand slam and 5 RBIs. According to the factoid presented on the TV broadcast, that's the most RBIs ever by a third baseman in a World Series game.

It's hardly a surprise that the Astros have come back to tie the series. Game 2 ended 12-3; one team had an expected batting average (xBA) of .360 in that game, and the other's was .225. If you said the team with the higher xBA got the 12 runs, you'd be wrong. In fact, the Astros xBA of .366 in Game 4, which they won 8-1, is only slightly higher than their Game 2 xBA (and the Nationals' xBA of .250 in Game 4 is higher than their Game 2 total, although they scored 11 fewer runs). What this shows is that the Astros had been having bad luck hitting (and the Nationals had better luck), but now the teams are reverting to their means.

This brings up another point: momentum is for suckers. You make your own momentum on each and every play in each and every game. If momentum really meant that much, the Astros would've rolled over and died after dropping the first two games at home to the team that had won eight straight postseason games and 18 of their past 20 games overall. The fact that the Astros now have won two in a row on the road to even the series is meaningless in regard to the series' eventual outcome. I don't expect the Nationals now to roll over and die any more than I expected the Astros to do so two games before, although I do think the Astros are the better team and more likely to win.
10-27-2019 02:20 AM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-23-2019 11:26 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  94 rockets

Astros close to making you look prophetic. 01-ncaabbs

Finish it Astros!
10-27-2019 10:28 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-27-2019 02:20 AM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  
(10-26-2019 09:42 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Tonight is the first game Washington has probably been favored for the whole series. If Houston wins tonight, momentum clearly swings back to them. Both of the 3B have been kind of meh in this series (Rendon has hit the ball harder than Bregman, but neither have shown signs of what they're capable of). You still kind of think that one or both of them are going to have a big game one of these nights.
Bregman scores first here - 3 for 5 with a grand slam and 5 RBIs. According to the factoid presented on the TV broadcast, that's the most RBIs ever by a third baseman in a World Series game.
It's hardly a surprise that the Astros have come back to tie the series. Game 2 ended 12-3; one team had an expected batting average (xBA) of .360 in that game, and the other's was .225. If you said the team with the higher xBA got the 12 runs, you'd be wrong. In fact, the Astros xBA of .366 in Game 4, which they won 8-1, is only slightly higher than their Game 2 xBA (and the Nationals' xBA of .250 in Game 4 is higher than their Game 2 total, although they scored 11 fewer runs). What this shows is that the Astros had been having bad luck hitting (and the Nationals had better luck), but now the teams are reverting to their means.
This brings up another point: momentum is for suckers. You make your own momentum on each and every play in each and every game. If momentum really meant that much, the Astros would've rolled over and died after dropping the first two games at home to the team that had won eight straight postseason games and 18 of their past 20 games overall. The fact that the Astros now have won two in a row on the road to even the series is meaningless in regard to the series' eventual outcome. I don't expect the Nationals now to roll over and die any more than I expected the Astros to do so two games before, although I do think the Astros are the better team and more likely to win.

Momentum is as good as your next day's starting pitcher.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019 10:38 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
10-27-2019 10:38 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Rendon just hit a 2-run homer to give Washington a 5-2 lead in G6 after one of the crazier plays in WS history. Rendon's having a good G6 with two hits and three RBI.

As to the controversy (Turner being called out for running inside the basepath), that was probably a bad call but I'm guessing wasn't reviewable? I don't know - it took awhile for New York to review it and they haven't had the official word yet on what was being reviewed.

Ironically, if the play had stood for Turner, Rendon likely would have been walked (after an Eaton popout) and perhaps Washington doesn't score? Tough to say for sure, but baseball sure is a strange game at times (and I suspect they will be able to review plays like that in the future if that was the problem tonight)??
10-29-2019 09:56 PM
chrisc Offline
2nd String

2019 World Series
I'm not a rules expert, but I don't get it. The runner didn't take a single step inside the lane, and he ran into the first baseman's glove before he could catch the ball. Isn't that interference?

Is there some nuance to the rule I'm not aware of?
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019 10:02 PM by chrisc.)
10-29-2019 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.