Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Brian Kelly - Where's the Beef?
Bookmark and Share
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Brian Kelly - Where's the Beef?
I never truly understood the hate for BK. The guy got his dream job, for what double the salary? From my understanding, they said if you want it you have to take it now. I think any of us would have done the same. Why be mad at the guy?

10-17-2019 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
RE: Brian Kelly - Where's the Beef?
(10-17-2019 11:36 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I never truly understood the hate for BK. The guy got his dream job, for what double the salary? From my understanding, they said if you want it you have to take it now. I think any of us would have done the same. Why be mad at the guy?

Everyone assumes there is a "right" way to leave and a "wrong" way to leave. It's nearly impossible in college football in particular, to leave the right way.

10-17-2019 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(10-17-2019 11:36 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I never truly understood the hate for BK. The guy got his dream job, for what double the salary? From my understanding, they said if you want it you have to take it now. I think any of us would have done the same. Why be mad at the guy?

I'm not sure I see the "hate" you are alluding to for BK on this board. There are still some emotions and opinions on how his tenure ended but I don't think it's anything close to what Whit Grabcock and Grandad Grubbs did to our football program. Speaking only for myself, I've moved on from any anger toward BK and look back with appreciation at what he was able to do for our program in such a short amount of time. 3 years with BK was better than none without him IMHO.

10-17-2019 11:44 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think many have moved on. BK's departure was not ideal. Fair to criticize how he left. On Saturday, I expect most will applaud him. Would not be surprised if those who take umbrage with him are under the age of 25.

My hope is the majority appreciate what he did for the program.

10-17-2019 11:45 AM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-17-2019 11:44 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

I'm not sure I see the "hate" you are alluding to for BK on this board. There are still some emotions and opinions on how his tenure ended but I don't think it's anything close to what Whit Grabcock and Grandad Grubbs did to our football program. Speaking only for myself, I've moved on from any anger toward BK and look back with appreciation at what he was able to do for our program in such a short amount of time. 3 years with BK was better than none without him IMHO.

Great point. Grabcock and Grubbs did damage to the program. They will rightfully shoulder criticism for years to come.

10-17-2019 11:47 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
The "beef" was more about calling the players into a meeting after the fball banquet in the room next door to tell them he was leaving. He/Nd could have waited till Friday to announce it and let him meet with the player on campus etc. Quite a few players came out of the room next door after what was a 5 minute meeting quite pissed and there were many fans and press. It wasn't a good scene as Espn had reported he took it before the banquet, but the player had heard nothing from him. He swept into the banquet with two cops and walked right to the stage. Kind of stealth for a bunch of guys you recruited. I almost collided with him coming out of the bathroom at the Westin as he swept in.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 11:50 AM by dsquare.)
10-17-2019 11:50 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(10-17-2019 11:50 AM)dsquare Wrote:  The "beef" was more about calling the players into a meeting after the fball banquet in the room next door to tell them he was leaving. He/Nd could have waited till Friday to announce it and let him meet with the player on campus etc. Quite a few players came out of the room next door after what was a 5 minute meeting quite pissed and there were many fans and press. It wasn't a good scene as Espn had reported he took it before the banquet, but the player had heard nothing from him. He swept into the banquet with two cops and walked right to the stage. Kind of stealth for a bunch of guys you recruited.

I think its absurd to believe Kelly had any control over when the story came out. I'm sure he'd have loved to keep it quiet until after the banquet. That's not the reality of how these things work. Someone will almost always have a connection and if it's a done deal it is going to get out.

10-17-2019 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
I wasn't happy, but will applaud what he and most importantly the 2009 TEAM did for the program. There shouldn't be a single boo.

10-17-2019 11:56 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
The beef?

The beef is in the midst of our greatest season EVER, he tells us we're not good enough for him.

THAT is the beef.

10-17-2019 11:57 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

Everyone keeps talking about the beef on twitter but i honestly don't know where or who is saying said beef. It was 10 years and three coaches ago. 95% of fans have moved on, and BK will be cheered on Saturday. That's the reality.

10-17-2019 12:17 PM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
(10-17-2019 11:50 AM)dsquare Wrote:  The "beef" was more about calling the players into a meeting after the fball banquet in the room next door to tell them he was leaving. He/Nd could have waited till Friday to announce it and let him meet with the player on campus etc. Quite a few players came out of the room next door after what was a 5 minute meeting quite pissed and there were many fans and press. It wasn't a good scene as Espn had reported he took it before the banquet, but the player had heard nothing from him. He swept into the banquet with two cops and walked right to the stage. Kind of stealth for a bunch of guys you recruited. I almost collided with him coming out of the bathroom at the Westin as he swept in.

It was leaked, and not by BK. He had no reason to do that. Either ND did it or UC did, but not BK.

BK did nothing wrong. He got another job offer and left. And let’s not forget it was literally his dream job, it paid way more, and it gave him shots at the national championship. *I* would have taken that job. The timing wasn’t up to him, it’s how CFB goes.

People who are mad at BK are just bitter that he left. It’s emotion, not reason.

10-17-2019 01:02 PM
Advertisement

Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(10-17-2019 11:57 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  The beef?

The beef is in the midst of our greatest season EVER, he tells us we're not good enough for him.

THAT is the beef.

If you were working at Bowling Green, and UC offered to double your salary, but you had to leave now... you would do what?

10-17-2019 01:14 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(10-17-2019 01:14 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  

THAT is the beef.

If you were working at Bowling Green, and UC offered to double your salary, but you had to leave now... you would do what?
I never blamed him for leaving. Dream job, big stage better chance at a national title. How do you not?! Also, your long time assistants now get PAID!

Leaving during the great season and not coaching the sugar bowl rubbed people the wrong way. But anyone who believed he was staying just because he said so are suckers. He interviewed other programs every year he was at UC. He had no more loyalty at UC than he did at CMU.

10-17-2019 01:26 PM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(10-17-2019 01:14 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  

THAT is the beef.

You're only reading into it what you want. Please review and retain the context of what is being said.

Plus, we're not talking about accountants or janitors so your analogy is not accurate. There's baggage that goes with being the head coach of a major college football team whether you like it or not.

10-17-2019 01:39 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
The reality is the NCAA could stop it as the NFL has. But that would require the NCAA to do something good.

The rules should be:

1. No school may contact any other school's coach until the season and post season games have ended.
2. All contract parties must affirm that no contact happened before the season/post season ended.
3. Violations would result in a 3 year bowl ban and the loss of 5 scholarships each year.
4. The contact provision would include any coaches agent/representative.

10-17-2019 01:55 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

So, the question gets asked, "Why the hate?"

Fine.

But I'll ask a similar but different question, "Why do you still love the guy?"

Ten years has done a lot to dull the pain of Brian Kelly leaving. But I will also say this...if you don't/can't "hate" the guy for leaving, then why still fawn over him? He's a guy, who did a job. If we can't "hate" him for leaving or even how he left because he's a professional, then I won't swoon over the guy when he comes back to UC.

He's just a guy who did a job. He did the job, collected his paycheck, and then moved onto a better position. 'Nuff said for me.

10-17-2019 01:58 PM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
Whatever folks think of BK, I can't help but smile a little when his Irish lose a game.

10-17-2019 02:00 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

Lets be honest. Brian Kelly gave us the greatest sports season in Cincinnati in the last 25 years. Bengals, Reds, Bearcats basketball .... none of them achieved that kind of success since the very early 90's. Brian Kelly will always be a hero in my book.

10-17-2019 02:10 PM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(10-17-2019 02:00 PM)colohank Wrote:  Whatever folks think of BK, I can't help but smile a little when his Irish lose a game.

Me too. I loved the Irish as a kid, but I haven't rooted for the Irish since Tyrone Willingham and now take joy in their losses.

Still, I think it makes it enjoyable for players and coaches to comeback to a school when they are well received. It may not have a big impact, but you always want notable alumni/former coaches/former players to have a fond memory as they may speak highly of such school around others or to the public. It's also good to get those notable people back on campus as much as possible.

Also, I know Hugs is loved around here and he was received well every time he came back. I'm not getting into Nancy, but he could have easily avoided being let go if he cleaned up his act just a touch.

I'll never forget my first OSU/Michigan game in 2012 which was about 2 years after Jim Tressel was removed to honor the 2002 National Championship team. I was sitting right by the tunnel he was in with the 2002 players before they walked out at halftime. I noticed extreme nervousness in him and assumed it was due to how he would be received only a couple years after the scandal with the star players and being let go. Well, the entire stadium went crazy and the former players ended up carrying him on their shoulders. It was a memory I'll never forget and that nervousness turned into a smile and some tears. I grew up hating OSU and did not like Sweater Vest, but again I was relieved for the man and it was a memory I'll never forget.

IMO, welcoming Brian Kelly back will have a positive impact on the program more so than booing him or not cheering him would, but to each their own do what you want.

10-17-2019 02:23 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

(10-17-2019 02:10 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Lets be honest. Brian Kelly gave us the greatest sports season in Cincinnati in the last 25 years. Bengals, Reds, Bearcats basketball .... none of them achieved that kind of success since the very early 90's. Brian Kelly will always be a hero in my book.

Exactly this. Yea I hated the way the guy left but if it's my dream job, I would have done the exact same. Time heals wounds and over time, I've been able to sit back and appreciate the fact that he was the coach/manager/lead/ceo over one of the greatest periods in Cincinnati sports history. That's why I'll stand and applaud on Saturday.

10-17-2019 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.