Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News 'Greta Thunberg Snubbed for Nobel Peace Prize' By Big Oil
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
'Greta Thunberg Snubbed for Nobel Peace Prize' By Big Oil
Quote:Newsweek reporter Rosie McCall offered a conspiracy theory as to how a 16-year-old environmental activist somehow failed to win the Nobel Peace Prize this year: “Greta Thunberg Snubbed for Nobel Peace Prize by Committee Run by Norway, One of the World's Biggest Oil and Natural Gas Exporters.”

This new theory comes courtesy of a magazine fresh off breaking the news that opening tanning salons in urban neighborhoods were a plot to give gay men skin cancer, or something.

McCall wrote:

The Nobel Committee has surprised oddsmakers by not picking 16-year-old Greta Thunberg to win the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize.

The five-member Norwegian panel instead announced on Friday that Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed had won the award, "for his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation, and for in particular his decisive initiative to resolve the border conflict with neighboring Eritrea," a statement said.

Thunberg has become the figurehead of the youth climate movement after skipping school to protest outside the Swedish Parliament in August 2018, inspiring the waves of student strikes that followed.

Over the last year, she has (among other things) led a Global Climate Strike spanning 150 countries, graced the cover of Time Magazine as a 'Next Generation Leader' and sailed across the Atlantic Ocean in a yacht to speak to lawmakers in Washington and New York.

One of those countries is the nation that effectively decides who wins the Nobel Peace Prize each year -- Norway, where the five members selected to serve on the committee are chosen by the Norwegian parliament. The country has a complex relationship with greenhouse gas-emitting fossil fuels, which historically have been (and arguably continues to be) a major source of Norway's wealth.

McCall gave Norway some credit for weaning itself off the fossil fuels poison and moving to reduce its emissions, but of course it wasn't good enough:

Pete Erickson, a senior scientist at the Stockholm Environment Institute, who co-wrote a 2017 report highlighting the stark difference between Norway's climate goals and their investment in the fossil sector, says these actions are not enough.

Thunberg herself may not have wanted a prize for her contribution to the climate change movement but for many, Norway's decision to give the award to a climate activist would have been an important symbolic gesture.

"We could all do more," said Webber. "But, Norway, is more aggressive with their shift to a post-oil world than every other major oil-exporting country.

Choosing Thunberg to be this year's winner of the Nobel Peace prize would have been "a handy symbolism to match their actions," he added.

Such speculation amounts to an insult of the actual Nobel Prize winner, Abiy Ahmed, the prime minister of Ethiopia, who restarted peace talks with neighboring Eritrea and beginning restoring freedoms in Ethiopia. He helped stop a war, but was barely mentioned by McCall. A European teenager who performed some angry End Times-style rants was more deserving, in the eyes of the journalists at Newsweek.

McCall's idea that Norway would be hostile to environmental radicalism also slides by the fact that Al Gore shared the prize in 2007 for his environmentalist prophesizing. That fact dilutes the conspiracy theory of the prize being under control of Big Oil.

Link
10-14-2019 11:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
RE: 'Greta Thunberg Snubbed for Nobel Peace Prize' By Big Oil
"Symbolic" winners of the Nobel Peace Prize?

Not for nothing, but isn't this particular prize:

A. Based on some kind of "peace keeping" effort(s); and
B. Actually doing something besides ruffling some feathers

The Nobel Peace Prize is not an "everybody gets a trophy" award.....
10-14-2019 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(10-14-2019 11:33 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  "Symbolic" winners of the Nobel Peace Prize?

I can think of someone who got it for doing less than her.....

But the man who received it was well deserving. He is what a Peace Prize winner should be.. Not a person lecturing or throwing out ideas, but a person of action and results...
10-14-2019 12:02 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
10-14-2019 01:19 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
She needs to take her whiny ass back to her side of the pond and stfu. The media needs to stop acting like she actually did something other than have a carbon footprint bigger than 75% of kids her age.
10-14-2019 01:27 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(10-14-2019 11:33 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  "Symbolic" winners of the Nobel Peace Prize?

So, if I go and give a speech about anything the Commies are proposing I can be eligible for the Noble Piece(sic) (of Pie) Prize?

I know of a restaurant that'll give you a NPP if you order a combo.
10-14-2019 01:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.