Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Baseball rival that you would most like to keep
Bookmark and Share
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF

With the move to Conference USA, UCF's future baseball schedules obviously will see big changes. Which of the above schools would you most like to keep as annual rivals? All of the schools listed above have played UCF annually for a number of years.
03-30-2004 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

Thats such a tough answer. If any sport that we have more established, I think its our baseball. Id like to keep Stetson for being one of the longest running rivalries we have, Id like to keep FAU because they are a strong program, and Id like to keep USF because, well its USF, like to see them get their asses kicked anytime anywhere. So if I had to choose just one, I think it should be USF, since we are overall more compatible with them, and to build on that rivalry which seems to be getting uglier every day.
03-30-2004 08:26 PM
Heisman

moloch_322 Wrote:Thats such a tough answer. If any sport that we have more established, I think its our baseball. Id like to keep Stetson for being one of the longest running rivalries we have, Id like to keep FAU because they are a strong program, and Id like to keep USF because, well its USF, like to see them get their asses kicked anytime anywhere. So if I had to choose just one, I think it should be USF, since we are overall more compatible with them, and to build on that rivalry which seems to be getting uglier every day.
I agree with you that there are some tough choices in this poll. I think it's fairly certain that we will continue scheduling Stetson as an OOC opponent since this series draws huge crowds. I think most UCF baseball fans would be glad to continue scheduling USF, although I wonder if the Bulls may decide they don't want us to extend our all-time series lead against them. :D
03-30-2004 08:50 PM
Advertisement

KnightTrain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I voted for Stetson as that has been a pretty good rival and it's easier to support the team on the road. Also, I don't want to have anything to do with USF ever again, and I think everyone at UCF should forget about that school and move on.
03-31-2004 01:56 PM
moloch_322 Offline
All American

Crappies

KnightTrain, Would you propose that FSU and UF should stop playing each other? Do you think that Marshall fans should move on and forget about playing WVU? Too much good can come out of this matchup for them both to ignore. UCF and USF are the redheaded step children of Florida's football elite. This rivalry will make their presence more known throughout the state. Yes this post was about baseball, but it is also about rivalries, and the UCF/USF one is very essential to the embetterment of both programs. Besides it doesnt look like either one of us have easily accessible interconference rivals so might as well take advantage of the possibilities of this one.
04-01-2004 06:25 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

KnightTrain Wrote:I voted for Stetson as that has been a pretty good rival and it's easier to support the team on the road.  Also, I don't want to have anything to do with USF ever again, and I think everyone at UCF should forget about that school and move on.
I'd hate to just give up playing USF. I think the smilie below artfully expresses the feelings of UCF fans toward the USF Bulls.

[Image: violent-smiley-098.gif]
04-01-2004 06:58 PM
KnightTrain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Funny how my opinions are always shot down. I'm entitled to vote for Stetson if I want to. I've been hovering on these boards for a while, and it really does seem that most of the UCF posters are obsessed with USF. Perhaps there's more to this zealotry than I can imagine. USF this, USF that. Their football program is 6 years old, we've never played them, and for some reason they're our biggest rival. We rarely play them in basketball. Big rival. We do play them in baseball, and that has been a good series over the years, so there's some merit there. However, I think Stetson has been a better rival, since it's cross-town, and some of us actually go to the games. USF has the potential to become a good rival, but since our programs are heading in a different direction I don't understand the energy around building that up.

Whatever. I'm not a USF zealot, so I voted for Stetson. I respect your opinions about USF, and I'm fine if you wish to continue that relationship or want to build on it. But personally, I rather see us spend energy on building a non-conferecne rival with one of the big three. Afterall, we're going to get our crack at Miami in football in a few years....who gives a damn about the home/away against USF coming up. I want to beat Miami more than USF. Wouldn't you?
04-02-2004 09:09 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

KnightTrain Wrote:Funny how my opinions are always shot down. I'm entitled to vote for Stetson if I want to. I've been hovering on these boards for a while, and it really does seem that most of the UCF posters are obsessed with USF. Perhaps there's more to this zealotry than I can imagine. USF this, USF that. Their football program is 6 years old, we've never played them, and for some reason they're our biggest rival. We rarely play them in basketball. Big rival. We do play them in baseball, and that has been a good series over the years, so there's some merit there. However, I think Stetson has been a better rival, since it's cross-town, and some of us actually go to the games. USF has the potential to become a good rival, but since our programs are heading in a different direction I don't understand the energy around building that up.

Whatever. I'm not a USF zealot, so I voted for Stetson. I respect your opinions about USF, and I'm fine if you wish to continue that relationship or want to build on it. But personally, I rather see us spend energy on building a non-conferecne rival with one of the big three. Afterall, we're going to get our crack at Miami in football in a few years....who gives a damn about the home/away against USF coming up. I want to beat Miami more than USF. Wouldn't you?
KnightTrain, I doubt anyone here doesn't want to have a rivalry with Florida, Florida State, or Miami (FL). I think USF gets more attention from UCF fans because, like UCF, they have a program that's still fairly new to Division 1-A. They have more in common with UCF than the state's "big three," which have more established 1-A programs.

Nevertheless, I welcome more games against any of the state's "big three." However, I would like for Florida and Florida State to do what Miami (FL) has agreed to do: Play UCF at the Citrus Bowl. Enough of us only playing at the home of the SEC or ACC (exception: North Carolina State) opponent. I'd like more of these programs to give us 1-for-1 deals rather than 2-for-1 or no return games.
04-02-2004 09:26 AM
KnightTrain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

UCFGoldenKnights#1 Wrote:
Quote:I think USF gets more attention from UCF fans because, like UCF, they have a program that's still fairly new to Division 1-A.  They have more in common with UCF than the state's "big three," which have more established 1-A programs.
Forming a rivalry with USF would create a recruiting nightmare, similar to the problems UF, FSU, and Miami have each year as they go after the state's top talent.

Here's the problem at least from a football perspective. And USF knows this, or at least did during the past six years. Having a head-to-head match up with UCF during USF's development would have killed their recruiting efforts. Most of these recruits had (or probably had) both schools on their list, since they're very similar schools in similar markets in similar leagues, etc....If USF were playing UCF during their development years and were to lose those games, recruits potentially would be swayed towards UCF. Hence one of the possible reasons they refused to play us, which makes sense from their standpoint. From a UCF perspective, we wanted badly to play them because we were a stronger program on paper during the past six years. Now, USF is going to be able to use the lure of the Big East conference to gain recruits, and would actually love to play UCF to prove to these recruits that UCF should be an afterthought. Hence the signed home/away match-up coming up in a few years that everyone is excited about. UCF countered with a high profile coach and step up in conference, so the recruiting battles should be interesting.

So, for all the USF zealots out there that want to play USF every year in every sport, think about the impact that is going to have on recruiting. Sure it sounds like an appealing match up on the surface (due to the natural, cross-town rivalry emotion), but unless UCF is able to compete it could mean disaster.

To me, I'd rather show a potential recruit a schedule with one of the big three rather than a schedule with USF on it. Why do you think we've been scheduling all those powerhouse non-conference football teams the past 5-10 years? RECRUITING! Sure we've been getting slaughtered by these schools, but those are the schools recruits want to play against. On top of that, it's gotten us some good TV exposure. It's possible a UCF/USF match up might appeal to ESPN some year, but it's unlikely anytime soon.

EDIT: Typos
04-02-2004 12:32 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

KnightTrain Wrote:
UCFGoldenKnights#1 Wrote:
Quote:I think USF gets more attention from UCF fans because, like UCF, they have a program that's still fairly new to Division 1-A.  They have more in common with UCF than the state's "big three," which have more established 1-A programs.
Forming a rivalry with USF would create a recruiting nightmare, similar to the problems UF, FSU, and Miami have each year as they go after the state's top talent.

Here's the problem at least from a football perspective. And USF knows this, or at least did during the past six years. Having a head-to-head match up with UCF during USF's development would have killed their recruiting efforts. Most of these recruits had (or probably had) both schools on their list, since they're very similar schools in similar markets in similar leagues, etc....If USF were playing UCF during their development years and were to lose those games, recruits potentially would be swayed towards UCF. Hence one of the possible reasons they refused to play us, which makes sense from their standpoint. From a UCF perspective, we wanted badly to play them because we were a stronger program on paper during the past six years. Now, USF is going to be able to use the lure of the Big East conference to gain recruits, and would actually love to play UCF to prove to these recruits that UCF should be an afterthought. Hence the signed home/away match-up coming up in a few years that everyone is excited about. UCF countered with a high profile coach and step up in conference, so the recruiting battles should be interesting.

So, for all the USF zealots out there that want to play USF every year in every sport, think about the impact that is going to have on recruiting. Sure it sounds like an appealing match up on the surface (due to the natural, cross-town rivalry emotion), but unless UCF is able to compete it could mean disaster.

To me, I'd rather show a potential recruit a schedule with one of the big three rather than a schedule with USF on it. Why do you think we've been scheduling all those powerhouse non-conference football teams the past 5-10 years? RECRUITING! Sure we've been getting slaughtered by these schools, but those are the schools recruits want to play against. On top of that, it's gotten us some good TV exposure. It's possible a UCF/USF match up might appeal to ESPN some year, but it's unlikely anytime soon.

EDIT: Typos
Not a bad argument, KnightTrain, but personally, I think we ought to play USF. I think our two matchups with them in 2005 and 2006 will draw huge crowds. I think having USF on the schedule, and USF having us on theirs, will boost recruiting efforts for both schools. Neither school wants to lose to the other; there's more incentive for the two programs to bring in great players. If we lose, we lose, but I don't think a loss or two to USF would be enough to decimate our recruiting. We would need to collect more big wins to make up for a USF loss, but we'd be able to do that. I don't think we're going to lose to USF, though. By 2005, George O'Leary is going to have this UCF team looking a whole lot better than they've ever looked, IMO.
04-02-2004 04:38 PM
moloch_322 Offline
All American

Crappies

I respect your opinion KnightTrain as I know you do mine. But its a known fact that when FSU or UF plays in the Citrus Bowl it will automatically become a home game for either one of them. Their fan base will drown out the UCF fans thus creating a rather embarassing lopsided situation that we dont have any control over due to those programs deep rooted establishment. Think of 1999 UF@UCF. This situation would also be the same for USF, their fan base is nothing in comparison to that of the Big 3. These games against the big 3 look good on paper, but really bad especially at a football game. The fact is a rivalry such as USF/UCF will bring out the numbers and create a more balanced affair. A rivalry such as this feeds school spirit. You can guarantee a spike in those who sport UCF or USF gear before that matchup. And I assure you that attendance will increase as well as support and awareness for both teams. But for either one of us to concentrate on playing any of the big 3 and hoping to win a game against them is probably too much too soon, baby steps, and this rivalry are the first. We just dont have the clout, political support or money to compete against them just yet, and probably not so for a long time. This rivalry presents an opportunity to potentially reach their level and we must seize it before the window closes, it seems as if USF might try to shut it to keep us out.

I understand your point about why USF didnt want to play UCF. I don't know how you can say our goals are different than theirs - we both want to get into BCS conferences (which USF did), both want to increase our recruiting and fan support, we both want to better all our athletics teams, both seek recognition and respect in the college sports world and in our own state. The different paths of which you speak havent been made, until USF was invited to the Big East, are not that far apart.

I think the rivalries that we have with Stetson and FAU in baseball are great ones and I hope that we do continue them as well, but overall I think we outgrew them. It only seems right that this USF/UCF rivalry is pursued and continued to take us to the next level in athletics and fan support.
04-02-2004 07:46 PM
ROM Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I live in Tampa, so USF home games are easier for me to go to than UCF home games.

Personally, I would much rather lose to Miami, FSU, or UF than lose to USF; especially since I have to listen to a bunch of crap from friends and coworkers. Also, UCF has a whole lot more in common with USF (or FAU) than "the big three" or Stetson.
04-30-2004 09:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.