Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

one reason why Navy insisted on being AAC West
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
one reason why Navy insisted on being AAC West
recruiting - 16 Tennesseans & 7 from Shelby County on the Navy roster for Thursday. I dont know that its still true but at one point Texas was the #1 state for Navy football players and Tennessee was #2

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports...t-and-that
09-25-2019 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
RE: one reason why Navy insisted on being AAC West
(09-25-2019 12:59 PM)tigerjeb Wrote:  recruiting - 16 Tennesseans & 7 from Shelby County on the Navy roster for Thursday. I dont know that its still true but at one point Texas was the #1 state for Navy football players and Tennessee was #2

Couldn't that work both ways? i.e. I wonder if Florida/Ohio/Pennsylvania would be a bigger source now if they'd been in the East the last few years.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2019 01:02 PM by CoastalJuan.)
09-25-2019 01:02 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Divisions are going away, so kinda moot
09-25-2019 01:02 PM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(09-25-2019 01:02 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(09-25-2019 12:59 PM)tigerjeb Wrote:  recruiting - 16 Tennesseans & 7 from Shelby County on the Navy roster for Thursday. I dont know that its still true but at one point Texas was the #1 state for Navy football players and Tennessee was #2

Couldn't that work both ways? i.e. I wonder if Florida/Ohio/Pennsylvania would be a bigger source now if they'd been in the East the last few years.

Feel like Texans are more likely to join the military
09-25-2019 01:03 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal

it was like that before they joined the conference. it's not like they lack name recognition in those other places. it's more "this is where we do our best recruiting, so let's make sure we play these teams every year."

also with 2 florida schools in the conference, the state is like a divisional opponent. they'll visit florida every other year just like they do tennessee.
09-25-2019 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
SMU and Tulane are also in the West. Navy has played a large number of games with both those schools. In fact the SMU Navy game even has its own trophy.
09-25-2019 03:25 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(09-25-2019 01:03 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

Feel like Texans are more likely to join the military

That's valid. They have age restrictions and all.

[Image: giphy.gif]
09-25-2019 04:46 PM
Advertisement

Digetydog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mustang Mania
(09-25-2019 03:25 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  SMU and Tulane are also in the West. Navy has played a large number of games with both those schools. In fact the SMU Navy game even has its own trophy.

A legit trophy - not the UConn/UCF type.

Navy likes playing in Houston and Dallas for recruiting reasons.
09-25-2019 06:11 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-25-2019 01:02 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Divisions are going away, so kinda moot
Temporarily. Not (I believe) on a permanent basis.

Check back in 2 years or so, and I’d lay 100:1 odds that at least one new football member will either have joined, or will have announced intention to do so.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2019 08:34 PM by Native Georgian.)
09-25-2019 08:33 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Navy's reasons for preferring to be in the West Division, in rough order of priority:
- Navy football recruiting. As pointed out, Tennessee has been huge for us. O-Line Coach / Run Game Coordinator Ashley Ingram has been responsible for this region and has killed. Malcolm Perry, Keenan Reynolds, Jabaree Tuani, we have a real pipeline there. Plus, of course Texas.
- Similar Institutions in SMU, Tulsa, Tulane. Much like our comfort in the Patriot League for all sports, these schools fit well with our overall mission. Add in the history with them greater than any of the East teams, including the Gansz Trophy between Navy and SMU.
- National Profile. The geographic footprint of the West Division is more in line with our intent to be a national program, rather than focusing on the East Division and therefore having a more regional profile.
- USNA recruiting and Navy recruiting. These two factors are almost a subset of the "National Profile" factor, but I will mention them just to distinguish from football recruiting.

I will highlight "preferred" and step away from "insisted." "Prefer" is the verb AD Chet Gladchuk has used, including recently. When we negotiated and signed the agreement to join the Big East in 2012, there were certain requirements that were in the paperwork: Navy home games on Saturday only, identifying an October date for Homecoming in advance, no Navy home games on Thanksgiving weekend, Air Force on the first Saturday of October, Navy-ND getting scheduling priority, Army-Navy second Saturday of December. The separate AAC-CBSSN contract for Navy home games is a result of those conditions built into Navy's agreement to join the Big East / AAC.
If the AAC stays at eleven but has to pick permanent rivals, Navy will likely lobby for some of the West teams for the reasons above. If there is some expansion, Navy will continue to prefer the West and lobby hard for permanent rivals that fit the above.
If there is some expansion or a single addition with East-West divisions remaining, Navy will lobby to stay West for the reasons above, but that is not as fundamental as the things already in the signed paperwork for Navy's entry into the Big East / AAC.
09-25-2019 08:50 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

(09-25-2019 06:11 PM)Digetydog Wrote:  
(09-25-2019 03:25 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  SMU and Tulane are also in the West. Navy has played a large number of games with both those schools. In fact the SMU Navy game even has its own trophy.

A legit trophy - not the UConn/UCF type.

Navy likes playing in Houston and Dallas for recruiting reasons.

[Image: national_treasure_tropic_thunder.gif]
09-25-2019 08:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCF_SystemsEng Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
When Navy is talking about recruiting they mean the entire student body, not just the potential varsity football team.
09-26-2019 06:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.