Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VT and ECU agree to end football series.
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
VT and ECU agree to end football series.
[Image: 12465988_0.jpg]

I'm glad this could come to an amicable conclusion so that we can both fill in the holes in our schedules.
09-23-2019 09:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: VT and ECU agree to end football series.
virginia tech comes off as so petty to me for this whole thing

they are upset at ecu for cancelling a game during a hurricane where transportation would have been difficult and families of players who have been dealing with a life threatening storm....thats a bad reason to be upset with someone

and according to reports Vtech just wanted to cancel all games at ecu..and have 3 ecu buy games..thats disrespectful to a longtime rival
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019 10:12 PM by pesik.)
09-23-2019 10:08 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-23-2019 09:57 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I'm glad this could come to an amicable conclusion so that we can both fill in the holes in our schedules.
+1

I’m not an ECU fan, but it needs to be said that the decision — announced by VT last Christmas — to cancel the 2019 game @ECU was a dick move, pure and simple. I don’t know if VT’s AD (Whit Babcock) made that call on his own or not. And I know there might never be a true reckoning for this. But then again, there might be. Stuff like that can follow a person for a long time. Never know when it could come back to haunt you.

But I don’t hold that against VT fans and players. I’ve had people in the Roanoke/SW VA. region for generations, and they love VT. It’s a good place to be.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019 10:19 PM by Native Georgian.)
09-23-2019 10:15 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
We'll take some games. Thanks!
09-23-2019 10:16 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(09-23-2019 10:08 PM)pesik Wrote:  virginia tech comes off as so petty to me for this whole thing

they are upset at ecu for cancelling a game during a hurricane where transportation would have been difficult and families of players who have been dealing with a life threatening storm....thats a bad reason to be upset with someone

and according to reports Vtech just wanted to cancel all games at ecu..and have 3 ecu buy games..thats disrespectful to a longtime rival
Don’t forget, VT itself cancelled a separate athletic event scheduled to take placed in Blacksburg the day before the football game!
09-23-2019 10:17 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(09-23-2019 10:16 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  We'll take some games. Thanks!

Maybe you’ll get VD now
Those cry babies
09-23-2019 10:20 PM
Advertisement

PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(09-23-2019 10:15 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(09-23-2019 09:57 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I'm glad this could come to an amicable conclusion so that we can both fill in the holes in our schedules.
+1

I’m not an ECU fan, but it needs to be said that the decision — announced by VT last Christmas — to cancel the 2019 game @ECU was a dick move, pure and simple. I don’t know if VT’s AD (Whit Babcock) made that call on his own or not. And I know there might never be a true reckoning for this. But then again, there might be. Stuff like that can follow a person for a long time. Never know when it could come back to haunt you.

But I don’t hold that against VT fans and players. I’ve had people in the Roanoke/SW VA. region for generations, and they love VT. It’s a good place to be.

ECU fans and the VT fans that I know enjoyed the series, however, I get the feeling that the only one in Blacksburg that wanted to keep it going was Frank Beamer. Once he retired there was no reason for the VT admin to keep the series going, so they took the first chance they could to get out of it.

It was a dick move on Babcocks part to use a natural disaster to do it. With the recent reports out of Blacksburg being not so rosy I hope their athletic department crumbles to the ground.
09-24-2019 05:22 AM
Digetydog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mustang Mania
This is an outstanding scheduling opportunity for UConn
09-24-2019 05:40 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(09-23-2019 09:57 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  [Image: 12465988_0.jpg]

I'm glad this could come to an amicable conclusion so that we can both fill in the holes in our schedules.

Very disappointing, ECU should have canceled each game in July of the year that they were scheduled to be played to ensure that Virginia Tech would play 2 FCS teams each of those years until 2025.

Hope non of the AAC teams ever schedule Virginia Tech again.
09-24-2019 05:44 AM
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
I was tired of beating them anyway. Glad they're not hurting our SOS any more.
09-24-2019 06:16 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(09-24-2019 05:44 AM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  

Very disappointing, ECU should have canceled each game in July of the year that they were scheduled to be played to ensure that Virginia Tech would play 2 FCS teams each of those years until 2025.

Hope non of the AAC teams ever schedule Virginia Tech again.

It's a good thing I don't run an athletic department, because I'd do the exact same type of petty thing. The reality is being that petty would just make schedule overall more difficult and make it even easier for P5's to just not schedule ECU. Yes VT has always looked awful with the way they handled this, and I think it's obvious they were looking for an excuse to end the series, but clearly ECU "leadership" was a mess this time last year and probably handled something poorly that gave them the out. I assumed this would end up in court and it sounds like it won't.
09-24-2019 07:29 AM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(09-23-2019 10:15 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
+1

Yeah the whole thing stinks. We have a lot of ECU/VT friends and former co-workers in the Norfolk/VB area that we're visiting this weekend for the ODU game. One couple is actually a house divided hokie/pirate marriage. ECU-VT was always a friendly rivalry in that area, and we'll really miss the series.
09-24-2019 07:32 AM
ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

My wife is a Hokie. So... this is awkward.
09-24-2019 07:45 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(09-24-2019 07:45 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  My wife is a Hokie. So... this is awkward.

Yeah it's awkward and strange to say the least. The best road game experience I've ever had by far was at VT in 07. All the Hokie fans I know in person are great and have a lot of fondness for ECU. They were probably the team outside of ECU I had the most respect for and one of the few "cartel" teams I'd actually root for. It's sad and disappointing how this all went down, and I can't be objective about it considering how badly devastated my hometown and region was after Florence.
09-24-2019 07:55 AM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

Amicable? OK sure. Bye Felicia.
09-24-2019 08:39 AM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
When Babcock took that job he mentioned the long term nature of the series as something that he was looking into, so he was looking to get out of it from the beginning.

They play NC State, UNC, Wake, and Duke in NC, he saw no need to continue our series in the long run when they already play and recruit NC in conference.

The cancellation of our game there was a convenient excuse for him.
09-24-2019 08:45 AM
Advertisement

8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

We tired of playing small, regional schools like VTech. Bring on Boise!
09-24-2019 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GimmethatPiratebooty Offline
Water Engineer

Eff em. They are on a downswing anyway and didn't want to take anymore Ls to "lowly" ECU
09-24-2019 09:41 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
How about the thought of living up to the commitments that one makes, whether in someone personal life or in the business environment.

Play out the series and then don't schedule future game, that is Amicable!!!

I hated VT when they were in the BIG EAST, guess I still do.
09-24-2019 10:19 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Looking at the future schedules, it appear to allow both schools to schedule their one FCS and does not require a second one to fill any gaps. I do think VT used the hurricane to get out of the home/home series verse ECU to get the extra home game.
09-24-2019 12:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.