Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

10th Circuit Oks Faithless Electors
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
10th Circuit Oks Faithless Electors
https://m.washingtontimes.com/

This is a fascinating under the radar case that will most likely go to the Supreme Court.

If you go back it seems to me to the intent of the Founders was for the Electoral college to be like a counsel of Cardinals who come together outside of public pressure and cast their vote. If they could not come to a majority, which was expected to happen more often, than the House, the body directly elected by the people, would pick the President.

With the rise of political parties almost instantly it never worked out like that
08-21-2019 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: 10th Circuit Oks Faithless Electors
(08-21-2019 04:47 PM)solohawks Wrote:  https://m.washingtontimes.com/

This is a fascinating under the radar case that will most likely go to the Supreme Court.

If you go back it seems to me to the intent of the Founders was for the Electoral college to be like a counsel of Cardinals who come together outside of public pressure and cast their vote. If they could not come to a majority, which was expected to happen more often, than the House, the body directly elected by the people, would pick the President.

With the rise of political parties almost instantly it never worked out like that

This is hardly new. It has happened several times before.

Humorous that the Dems tried to flip Republican electors and flipped more Dem electors.
08-21-2019 07:55 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

States were beginning to outlaw and change the votes of faithless electors. If being a faithless elector was confirmed as constitutional it might embolden others
08-21-2019 09:36 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-21-2019 09:36 PM)solohawks Wrote:  States were beginning to outlaw and change the votes of faithless electors. If being a faithless elector was confirmed as constitutional it might embolden others

So its an issue of state law vs. electors.

Parties just need to do a better job vetting electors. 7 flakes the last election, 5 of them Democrats.
08-22-2019 08:18 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
The Founders intended the Electoral College to vote its mind. That is beyond a shadow of a doubt.

We may WANT them to follow the will of the people in their state (or in the case of Maine & Nebraska, the people in their district). But that would require a constitutional Amendment.

I think that Amendment would pass in relatively short order. And it would be good for the country. Public confidence in our institutions is at the lowest point in a century, largely because our leaders spend all their time on a few issues that the public is divided on. The Amendment process would show the public that when we actually agree on something, our government is pretty effective at getting things done.
08-22-2019 11:05 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
We need to be careful about amending our constitution. We can’t just arbitrarily change our country’s most important document because an election didn’t turn out the way pundits thought it would.

Now if 6 more states want to vote for an article V Constitutional Convention, all bets are off.
08-22-2019 11:21 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2019 11:21 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  We need to be careful about amending our constitution. We can’t just arbitrarily change our country’s most important document because an election didn’t turn out the way pundits thought it would.

Now if 6 more states want to vote for an article V Constitutional Convention, all bets are off.

Delaware (2016), New Mexico (2017), Maryland (2017), and Nevada (2017) rescinded their request or else the magic number would be 2

Most of the states that have passes are red states
Mi, WI, PA, are traditionally blue and have passed the request

SC, ID, MT, and KY are 4 red states that have NOT passed.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2019 12:55 PM by solohawks.)
08-22-2019 12:51 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-22-2019 12:51 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(08-22-2019 11:21 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  We need to be careful about amending our constitution. We can’t just arbitrarily change our country’s most important document because an election didn’t turn out the way pundits thought it would.
Delaware (2016), New Mexico (2017), Maryland (2017), and Nevada (2017) rescinded their request or else the magic number would be 2

I would vote NO 1000 times on this, and I hope the people who claim to want it come to their senses. A constitutional convention opens everything up, and given the number and kind of goofballs running this country right now, I have zero expectation that any improvement would come from such an effort.
08-22-2019 01:57 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2019 01:57 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I would vote NO 1000 times on this, and I hope the people who claim to want it come to their senses. A constitutional convention opens everything up, and given the number and kind of goofballs running this country right now, I have zero expectation that any improvement would come from such an effort.

I agree. We do not have cultural leaders of the calibar to create a constitution
08-22-2019 05:33 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(08-22-2019 05:33 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

I agree. We do not have cultural leaders of the calibar to create a constitution

I agree.

But I still think that allowing states to place their own rules on faithless electors is a good idea. I would support a stand-alone Amendment to that effect.
08-22-2019 08:00 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2019 08:00 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-22-2019 05:33 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

I agree.

But I still think that allowing states to place their own rules on faithless electors is a good idea. I would support a stand-alone Amendment to that effect.

I have no problem with that. If you really get down to it, there is nothing preventing a state legislature from taking control of their state's electors. You do not have a constitutional right to vote for president
08-22-2019 08:06 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Quote:But I still think that allowing states to place their own rules on faithless electors is a good idea.
(08-22-2019 08:06 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I have no problem with that. If you really get down to it, there is nothing preventing a state legislature from taking control of their state's electors. You do not have a constitutional right to vote for president

My take on it is that a state legislature can specifically direct the manner in which the state's electors are appointed.

But they cannot control nor direct *how* those electors so selected actually vote when the time comes to vote.

I think it clear that since the state cannot direct how they vote, that precludes the state punishing any faithless elector in any manner. The power and methods are crystal clear.

Allowing a state to punish would be equivalent to transferring the power on how to vote to the state. And the Constitution is very clear that the only group holding the power to select the President, exclusive of any other person, group, or entity, are those electors.
08-23-2019 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.