Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mass Shooting in Dayton - 10 dead
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
https://www.10tv.com/article/9-dead-16-i...d-2019-aug

Two in a day. Sad. This country is diseased.
08-04-2019 05:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Just heard this too.

Good grief.

El Paso was horrific enough for one day, no idea why they didn’t just off the guy (person).

WTF is wrong with people...
08-04-2019 06:01 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: Mass Shooting in Dayton - 10 dead
Wow, people are losing their effing minds. What happened to the good old days when people who hated life in general just offed themselves rather than taking out others with them?? I am a STAUNCH 2A supporter, I own a variety of weapons, I've carried since TN started issuing HCP's and never once have I wanted to take any of those weapons and start offing people. I've battled with depression occasionally, not to the point of it being clinical, but have never been so low that I'd even think about doing something like that. Something has to change and it should be hearts and minds, not gun laws.
08-04-2019 07:28 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
2 in a day?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
08-04-2019 07:35 AM
Foff Offline
Banned

I Root For: You
(08-04-2019 07:35 AM)fsquid Wrote:  2 in a day?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Technically no, 1am on Sunday

Phew, as long as we keep it to 1 a day there are still enough thoughts and prayers to go around!
08-04-2019 07:38 AM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(08-04-2019 07:28 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Wow, people are losing their effing minds. What happened to the good old days when people who hated life in general just offed themselves rather than taking out others with them?? I am a STAUNCH 2A supporter, I own a variety of weapons, I've carried since TN started issuing HCP's and never once have I wanted to take any of those weapons and start offing people. I've battled with depression occasionally, not to the point of it being clinical, but have never been so low that I'd even think about doing something like that. Something has to change and it should be hearts and minds, not gun laws.

This Dayton news is somehow sadder than the El Paso news. It's "proof" (as if I needed more) that El Paso wasn't a "one-off." You are right in your 2nd sentence. Those who hated life and wanted to exit stage right weren't taking others out with them.

We've lost a lot of folks' "hearts and minds." The way to change them is via talking to folk - in person. As I see things over the last 15-20 years, a lot of people simply don't do that any more.

I was in Wyoming/Idaho/Utah just yesterday. Absolutely beautiful scenery up in the Flaming Gorge area, and I met a lot of good folk.

We live in such a simultaneously beautiful and ugly country.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 08:04 AM by Nittany_Bearcat.)
08-04-2019 07:56 AM
Advertisement

AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
"We live in such a simultaneously beautiful and ugly country."

Perfect summation.
08-04-2019 08:11 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Devaluation of life. From video games to abortion to violent movies, the youth of this country are growing up desensitized. No God or higher power. God is mocked and man’s the new deity. All of this is not surprising.
08-04-2019 08:34 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(08-04-2019 08:34 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Devaluation of life. From video games to abortion to violent movies, the youth of this country are growing up desensitized. No God or higher power. God is mocked and man’s the new deity. All of this is not surprising.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with any of that stuff. Those things either aren’t particularly realistic or new. People know the difference between video games/movies and real life and religion has served as the basis for dehumanizing people for millennia. That’s nothing new.

What is new and using real life are our 24-hour news networks (and yes, FOX counts) and social media. We also have politicians openly treating the opposition like ****. Hilary Clinton called people that didn’t support her “deplorables” and Trump has dehumanized everyone at some point or another. Hell, political message boards such as this dehumanize the opposition on the regular and they give validation to that behavior. We have an EL PASO guy that calls the opposition demons. There are examples on the liberal side as well, but that stood out to me in particular.

Nasty politics has made the slide into everyday life and it’s become harder and harder to avoid.
08-04-2019 09:33 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(08-04-2019 09:33 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(08-04-2019 08:34 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Devaluation of life. From video games to abortion to violent movies, the youth of this country are growing up desensitized. No God or higher power. God is mocked and man’s the new deity. All of this is not surprising.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with any of that stuff. Those things either aren’t particularly realistic or new. People know the difference between video games/movies and real life and religion has served as the basis for dehumanizing people for millennia. That’s nothing new.

What is new and using real life are our 24-hour news networks (and yes, FOX counts) and social media. We also have politicians openly treating the opposition like ****. Hilary Clinton called people that didn’t support her “deplorables” and Trump has dehumanized everyone at some point or another. Hell, political message boards such as this dehumanize the opposition on the regular and they give validation to that behavior. We have an EL PASO guy that calls the opposition demons. There are examples on the liberal side as well, but that stood out to me in particular.

Nasty politics has made the slide into everyday life and it’s become harder and harder to avoid.

You think nasty politics are a new thing but dismiss other factors out of hand

Interesting.
08-04-2019 09:39 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU

i don't think most of these things are politically motivated, but I agree, the notion that the other side is evil doesn't help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-04-2019 09:42 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2019 09:39 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

Interesting.

Did I say nasty politics was new? No. It’s the way they are consumed and the way that the political industry runs these days that’s new. For the first time, the people are just as involved as the “insiders”. It’s in your face like never before and there are many, many people out there who give validation to bad ideas.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 10:00 AM by nomad2u2001.)
08-04-2019 09:57 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-04-2019 07:56 AM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-04-2019 07:28 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Wow, people are losing their effing minds. What happened to the good old days when people who hated life in general just offed themselves rather than taking out others with them?? I am a STAUNCH 2A supporter, I own a variety of weapons, I've carried since TN started issuing HCP's and never once have I wanted to take any of those weapons and start offing people. I've battled with depression occasionally, not to the point of it being clinical, but have never been so low that I'd even think about doing something like that. Something has to change and it should be hearts and minds, not gun laws.

This Dayton news is somehow sadder than the El Paso news. It's "proof" (as if I needed more) that El Paso wasn't a "one-off." You are right in your 2nd sentence. Those who hated life and wanted to exit stage right weren't taking others out with them.

We've lost a lot of folks' "hearts and minds." The way to change them is via talking to folk - in person. As I see things over the last 15-20 years, a lot of people simply don't do that any more.

I was in Wyoming/Idaho/Utah just yesterday. Absolutely beautiful scenery up in the Flaming Gorge area, and I met a lot of good folk.

We live in such a simultaneously beautiful and ugly country.

And I was in Arizona and southern Utah last week. Incredible country. Lots of friendly people. Even in 110 degree heat.
08-04-2019 09:59 AM
IAH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
The reason for this mass shootings is clearly a combination of factors. And to say that gun laws couldn’t be improved, not even a little, to help avoid some of these tragedies is non sense.

I am not saying it has do me something drastic, but I am sure something can be done.
08-04-2019 10:04 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-04-2019 09:57 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

Interesting.

Did I say nasty politics was new? No. It’s the way they are consumed and the way that the political industry runs these days that’s new. For the first time, the people are just as involved as the “insiders”. It’s in your face like never before. And the news media talks up everything like it’s a PPV wrestling match.

I think nasty politics reflects the way people treat others in real life, not some isolated situation. The internet helps create that situation. But its an exaggerated sense of self and isolation. In small towns you can't get away from people who think differently than you do. In big cities its easier for people to segregate themselves.

Somehow that has created a lot of mental illness. The way hundreds of thousands or millions of Democrats have reacted to Donald Trump's election is a sign of their mental illness. Delusion, fantasy, conspiracy theories, uncontrollable anger and sadness. Its just flat out bizarre. I had no idea so many people were so close to the edge. The same people who were fine with the Clinton's lies, corruption and sexual improprieties can't handle Donald Trump's ill-chosen words and insults of others.
08-04-2019 10:06 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom

I don’t think it’s anything to do with any of that stuff.
Those things either aren’t particularly realistic or new. People know the difference between video games/movies and real life and religion has served as the basis for dehumanizing people for millennia. That’s nothing new.

That is a stunning comment. I don't see how anyone could pretend those are not serious root issues here. Unless they just don't want to for some reason.

The Bible tells us quite clearly these ARE the root problems. So does common sense imo.

Read Romans chapter 2 for starters, these issues ARE at the root.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 10:18 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
08-04-2019 10:17 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2019 10:06 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-04-2019 09:57 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

Interesting.

Did I say nasty politics was new? No. It’s the way they are consumed and the way that the political industry runs these days that’s new. For the first time, the people are just as involved as the “insiders”. It’s in your face like never before. And the news media talks up everything like it’s a PPV wrestling match.

I think nasty politics reflects the way people treat others in real life, not some isolated situation. The internet helps create that situation. But its an exaggerated sense of self and isolation. In small towns you can't get away from people who think differently than you do. In big cities its easier for people to segregate themselves.

Somehow that has created a lot of mental illness. The way hundreds of thousands or millions of Democrats have reacted to Donald Trump's election is a sign of their mental illness. Delusion, fantasy, conspiracy theories, uncontrollable anger and sadness. Its just flat out bizarre. I had no idea so many people were so close to the edge. The same people who were fine with the Clinton's lies, corruption and sexual improprieties can't handle Donald Trump's ill-chosen words and insults of others.

Way to turn that around. But let’s not forget the reaction to the Obama election. It didn’t come with a bunch of “aww shucks” reactions. If democrats became mentally ill in 2016 then the republicans have been battling it since 2008. Even Trump spent at least 8 years denying the legitimacy of Obama’s election. Spent money to investigate it and everything. But this is neither here nor there and adds nothing to the conversation but a lack of focus.
08-04-2019 10:20 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2019 10:17 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

Those things either aren’t particularly realistic or new. People know the difference between video games/movies and real life and religion has served as the basis for dehumanizing people for millennia. That’s nothing new.

That is a stunning comment. I don't see how anyone could pretend those are not serious root issues here. Unless they just don't want to for some reason.

The Bible tells us quite clearly these ARE the root problems. So does common sense imo.

I’ll read it when I have time. Are you dismissing the notion that it could also be the fact that our behavior on social media and the behavior of the news media could be main factors?
08-04-2019 10:23 AM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
And yet violent crime is down significantly from the 1970s-90s period. I don't dispute there's a problem, I just really don't think this is a new generational thing. Just that the wall to wall news coverage dominates today.
08-04-2019 10:24 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(08-04-2019 10:23 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(08-04-2019 10:17 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

I’ll read it when I have time. Are you dismissing the notion that it could also be the fact that our behavior on social media and the behavior of the news media could be main factors?

I did not dismiss anything, you are the one who dismissed things. Its not a matter of choosing one or the other, they all play a role.

The rejection of God and worship of self and pleasure seeking combined with a desensitized youth are core issues.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019 10:28 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
08-04-2019 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.