Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is nobody asking “why” UConn is leaving Ack?
Bookmark and Share
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Is nobody asking “why” UConn is leaving Ack?
Everybody is posturing for someone to say their school should replace UConn. But pause and consider why UConn is wanting to go back to big east. A move that will cost then $ is made because...? What does this say about future of Ack and moves UConn believes are coming.
06-23-2019 08:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Is nobody asking “why” UConn is leaving Ack?
They're afraid the BE had plans of stopping at 11. They were also afraid that their contemporaries: Cincy, Memphis, Houston would bounce at their first chance and they'd be left with ECU, Tulane, etc. Smart to take the opportunity now than be stuck in 3-4 years.
06-23-2019 08:06 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
lol uh, this is the easiest thing to understand in the world.

UConn is run by people who view athletics in this order. 1.) Basketball 30.) Everything else.

They whined about the travel, whined about the lack of northeast rivals to play, whined about not playing in MSG, blamed the AAC on their own struggles, and determined that the Big East was worth decimating their football program (and baseball).

UConn knows that the football program is just another UMass and it was time to stop pouring money into it or worrying about it. Just go visit the UConn board; it's 90% of them cheering the move and saying screw football and 10% of them realizing that they just put their football program in the ground.

Pretty much everyone outside of Tulsa is pouring money and support into football in the AAC. UConn wasn't and didn't want to. The emphasis of the conference was totally situated in the south on visible football programs. They determined it wasn't a good fit anymore so they bolted. It's really quite simple.
06-23-2019 08:07 AM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
Throwing football under the bus in order to strengthen basketball?

There’s 130 athletic programs that have a football team in the FBS-classification. UConn may be the one and only program that would’ve made that decision.
06-23-2019 08:30 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Great Question

Decrease money in the AAC from the exit fees going away.

UConn realized the AAC will always be a G5 conference irrelevant on the national scene even with an undefeated team

They wanted back in a power basketball conference instead of being stuck in a G5 football conference

The straw that broke the camel’s back, the recent TV contract. The AAC signed an all-in way to long deal that would not allow UConn sell it’s 3rd tier rights to regional partners, womens and men’s basketball. Auremio thought it was horrible deal and told the president he wanted back in the BE
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2019 09:03 AM by Dawgxas.)
06-23-2019 08:58 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(06-23-2019 08:06 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  They're afraid the BE had plans of stopping at 11. They were also afraid that their contemporaries: Cincy, Memphis, Houston would bounce at their first chance and they'd be left with ECU, Tulane, etc. Smart to take the opportunity now than be stuck in 3-4 years.

Some merit to this. This move by UConn might be heralded as a smart move in a few years.

Maybe Cincy as a contemporary the rest were never in BCS (power conference)
06-23-2019 09:07 AM
Advertisement

Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

This is a big hit to AAC basketball. The Big East is still perceived as a power basketball conference. The AAC is definitely not especially considering one of their teams just ditched them for a true power conference
06-23-2019 09:21 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

Summed up by someone with in-depth knowledge:

(06-23-2019 09:21 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  UCONN was waiting for the details of the new AAC detail before making any big decisions. When AAC announced its new deal with ESPN included giving up all tier-3 rights for all schools, I knew UCONN's fate with AAC is sealed and would make a move shortly.

This is about exposure. UCONN's tier-3 rights are valuable to the school. UCONN is the only flagship school in the AAC that can deliver its own media market of 3.6M plus people surrounding the state. SNY is a very important media partner for UCONN, and that exposure is very important.

People here really underestimate the value of UCONN brand and its market. UCONN women's tier-3 rights were getting $1.4M per year from SNY just not too long ago. That's just women's basketball tier-3 rights. By leaving the AAC, UCONN will get all of its tier-3 rights back plus all the football media rights. People here that only care about wins and losses in football don't understand media markets for those kinds of deals. If wins and losses are the only things that matter, why would Rutgers be in the Big 10? If you combined that with what the Big East is already paying, I believe UCONN would be much more ahead of the AAC payout plus UCONN will continue to get its exposure with SNY. SNY would be extremely happy to get all UCONN sports back, and they will pay for it. In many ways, SNY is sort of defacto UCONN sports network. SNY, for the record, reaches over 14M homes with nationwide coverage on major networks.

AAC was not very smart giving away all of its rights to ESPN. Those tier-3 rights might be worthless with most AAC schools, but it is worth far more to UCONN. UCONN's tier-3 rights by itself might be worth more than the $7M payout by the AAC. Also, the Big East contract would be boosted by getting UCONN men and women basketball. Big East schools would get more or they would not have made this move. Financially, I think UCONN would come out ahead or they won't go this route.

My biggest concern is football since I don't know all the details. I believe the best route for UCONN is going indy and play an indy schedule. UCONN can negotiate its own media football deal. I am 100% SNY would be a bidder. I am not sure UCONN would sign with someone like ESPN, but it is possible. UCONN help made ESPN what it is today, but the network has screwed over UCONN multiple times so who knows. For old school UCONN fans like me, ESPN helped BC, Cuse, and Pitt to screw over the old BE and UCONN is something we will never forget. Hopefully, UCONN will come out ahead. AAC should be fine too since the league is on a good path.
06-23-2019 09:33 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-23-2019 09:21 AM)Dawgxas Wrote:  This is a big hit to AAC basketball. The Big East is still perceived as a power basketball conference. The AAC is definitely not especially considering one of their teams just ditched them for a true power conference

lol I love how willing you are to assert things as facts when they aren't, so long as you're wildly complaining about the AAC. Here, click this link:

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencerpi

The BE and AAC were basically neck and neck and both were ahead of the PAC12. And then way down at #13 you have CUSA.

UConn had nothing to do with the AAC's RPI strength last year either. Wichita and Memphis were both down last year which will course correct by next year, given Memphis has the #1 class in the country.

The AAC is going to be equal or better than the BE just as it has been. That's a fact. UConn simply wanted to play other northeast teams so they left.
06-23-2019 09:36 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

He sure called that one!

(06-22-2019 12:32 AM)pesik Wrote:  lol 0% chance of accuracy..none

the fact anyone is even remotely believing this is funny to me

also i checked on this credible uconn source on their board..he speaks in 3rd person....and has underwear as his icon lol

update for everyone who wants to remove common sense for the discussion...uconn is a public institution there is no way a decision like this would not have been noticed ...their has to be public meetings for stuff like this and state approvals...all of which would have tons of leaks throughout the process

if the article was saying there was "heavy discussions" about potentially leaving that might have been more believable..but to have no name site with no ties to uconn breaking a story that uconn "IS" leaving and already has a date (in 1 season) is silly to me

hurley just 2 days ago was talking about recruiting for the aac on the podcast i posted...im guessing he didnt know either? lol
06-23-2019 09:38 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-23-2019 08:58 AM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Great Question

UConn realized the AAC will always be a G5 conference irrelevant on the national scene even with an undefeated team

They wanted back in a power basketball conference instead of being stuck in a G5 football conference

The straw that broke the camel’s back, the recent TV contract. The AAC signed an all-in way to long deal that would not allow UConn sell it’s 3rd tier rights to regional partners, womens and men’s basketball. Auremio thought it was horrible deal and told the president he wanted back in the BE

LOL. The AAC has had, and will have, nationally televised games on ABC National, ESPN Primetime, College Gameday, a 3-1 record in NY6 bowl games, and basically a 2 year ongoing narrative regarding Playoff expansion due to UCF and the AAC. Oh, and multiple teams in the Top 25.

If that's "irrelevant" then what the hell is CUSA?
06-23-2019 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

Still Salty from getting manhandled by a 3-loss no offense LSU team that scored over 40 on your team

LSU didn’t have 9 defensive starters but still whooped an “undefeated” team
06-23-2019 09:44 AM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
(06-23-2019 09:40 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  

LOL. The AAC has had, and will have, nationally televised games on ABC National, ESPN Primetime, College Gameday, a 3-1 record in NY6 bowl games, and basically a 2 year ongoing narrative regarding Playoff expansion due to UCF and the AAC. Oh, and multiple teams in the Top 25.

Knight Time you have to remember that 90% of these CUSA schools are clueless in terms of FBS success.

AAC is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above CUSA. Every school would jump at the opportunity to join this conference.
06-23-2019 09:58 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I'm curious what the new ESPN contract will look like once UConn leaves. There is no question that the AAC was bad for UConn - all the AAC supporters chiming in here can't deny that. You have to wonder if Temple is next - that's another school that is like 500 miles from its nearest conference rival.
06-23-2019 10:04 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(06-23-2019 09:58 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

Knight Time you have to remember that 90% of these CUSA schools are clueless in terms of FBS success.

AAC is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above CUSA. Every school would jump at the opportunity to join this conference.

Lol from a Marshall fan

I guess you missed the part where Tech beat the AAC reg season champ in a bowl game or was beating a 5-3 AAC team 42-3 in the second quarter
06-23-2019 10:04 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(06-23-2019 10:04 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'm curious what the new ESPN contract will look like once UConn leaves. There is no question that the AAC was bad for UConn - all the AAC supporters chiming in here can't deny that. You have to wonder if Temple is next - that's another school that is like 500 miles from its nearest conference rival.

That’s a possibility.

I have always said UConn basketball is the most valuable brand in the AAC, no other brand in AAC can come close to the success of UConn Women’s and Men’s basketball.

CUSA has no comparable to this because no team has had the success on the national level like UConn basketball
06-23-2019 10:09 AM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(06-23-2019 09:58 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

Congratulations. AAC is the tallest group of midgets. But they just lost the only one approaching five foot.

UCONN leaving puts the last nail in the P6 coffin.
06-23-2019 11:04 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-23-2019 11:04 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  UCONN leaving puts the last nail in the P6 coffin.

This was never going to happen in the 1st place. This was as likely as the MWC getting power status in 2003 when TCU jumped there. Never happened, was the conference "King of the crap pile" at the time, yes but they never achieved what their fans thought, and that's the reason Utah and TCU split when they could.

The final nail that lost UConn was them having to give up their Tier 3 rights. This now affected where their WBB was going to be shown, my guess ESPN3 instead of SNYS bidding and getting the games on local TV.

And please no one listen to herdfan129, he posts the same crap on every message board and 99% people know just to skip over him because 99% of the time its nonsense.
06-23-2019 11:28 AM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-23-2019 10:04 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'm curious what the new ESPN contract will look like once UConn leaves. There is no question that the AAC was bad for UConn - all the AAC supporters chiming in here can't deny that. You have to wonder if Temple is next - that's another school that is like 500 miles from its nearest conference rival.

ODU is 278 miles from Philly.
06-23-2019 11:50 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(06-23-2019 08:02 AM)Eagle in the gym Wrote:  Everybody is posturing for someone to say their school should replace UConn. But pause and consider why UConn is wanting to go back to big east. A move that will cost then $ is made because...? What does this say about future of Ack and moves UConn believes are coming.
Nothing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
06-23-2019 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.