Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some at Tech want to schedule the Dukes in 2020
Bookmark and Share
Ashby Hall Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Dukes
There is a lot of faint praise and condescension in the article.

Quote: Yes, the pesky neighbor from a few hours up I-81 is the one FCS team that Virginia Tech should prioritize to fill their 2020 vacancy.

Of course, there are probably some of you that are ready to close this page and would rather schedule a D3 school than face the team who’s fanbase somehow thinks they have a better team just because they compete for national titles at what is equivalent to saying one of the best basketball teams in Europe can beat a no worse than middle-of-the-tier NBA team.

https://techlunchpail.com/2019/06/08/why...-schedule/
06-09-2019 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Zero team national championships in ANY sport. ZERO.
06-09-2019 02:53 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: Some at Tech want to schedule the Dukes in 2020
Funny to discount a lower level teams wins yet somehow that same team beat yours last time out which really makes you look stupid.
06-09-2019 02:53 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(06-09-2019 02:35 PM)Ashby Hall Wrote:  There is a lot of faint praise and condescension in the article.

Quote: Yes, the pesky neighbor from a few hours up I-81 is the one FCS team that Virginia Tech should prioritize to fill their 2020 vacancy.

Of course, there are probably some of you that are ready to close this page and would rather schedule a D3 school than face the team who’s fanbase somehow thinks they have a better team just because they compete for national titles at what is equivalent to saying one of the best basketball teams in Europe can beat a no worse than middle-of-the-tier NBA team.

Tim Thomas is full of turkey sh*t. For starters, if VT can’t beat ODU, how does he expect VT to beat a stronger JMU team? The current JMU FB program is better than the 2010 incarnation, and by all appearances, VT is weaker (and definitely not ACC Champ material).

That said, I’m sure JB and company would happily sign a return contract to play VT, but again, Thomas is dreaming if he truly thinks it will be cheaper to sign JMU than playing another FCS or G5 opponent. JMU’s asking price should start northward of $750k precisely because the game will be a sellout. Oh, and as part of the contract, JMU should also insist on seats for the MRDs and halftime performance time.

And when the smoke clears, and JMU walks off Lane Stadium’s field with the “W” and VT’s lunch money in pocket, once and for the foreseeable future, VT will know who to call “Daddy.”

21-16 Timmy. Expect more of the same...if VT is willing to risk booking JMU again. COGS
06-09-2019 03:05 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Tech's 2019 home season ticket schedule...

ODU
Furman
Duke
Rhode Island
UNCheat
Wake Forest
Pitt

They do get Penn State at home in 2020, Notre Dame in 2021, and WVU in 2022. I don't know how the Tech folks feel about Babcock's scheduling strategies so far, but this upcoming fall must make some wonder aloud what the heck is going on.

Upcoming games on the road at MTSU, ODU (again), Liberty, Marshall, and ODU (yet again) make absolutely no sense to me. Would love to see JMU@VT happen, but unlikely I'd guess.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019 03:11 PM by Wear Purple.)
06-09-2019 03:05 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-09-2019 03:05 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Tech's 2019 home season ticket schedule...

ODU
Furman
Duke
Rhode Island
UNCheat
Wake Foret
Pitt

They do get Penn State at home in 2020, Notre Dame in 2021, and WVU in 2022. I don't know how the Tech folks feel about Babcock's scheduling strategies so far, but this upcoming fall must make some wonder aloud what the heck is going on.

Upcoming games at MTSU, ODU (again), Liberty, Marshall, and ODU (yet again) make absolutely no sense to me. Would love to see JMU@VT happen, but unlikely I'd guess.

Maybe VT can schedule Norfolk St. for a home and home. 04-cheers
06-09-2019 03:07 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-09-2019 03:07 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(06-09-2019 03:05 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Tech's 2019 home season ticket schedule...

ODU
Furman
Duke
Rhode Island
UNCheat
Wake Foret
Pitt

Upcoming games at MTSU, ODU (again), Liberty, Marshall, and ODU (yet again) make absolutely no sense to me. Would love to see JMU@VT happen, but unlikely I'd guess.

Maybe VT can schedule Norfolk St. for a home and home. 04-cheers

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me. My how the mighty have fallen. Years ago, I would've never in my life thought I'd see VT playing at ODU multiple times, at Liberty, at MTSU, and at Marshall. Makes no sense. But, perhaps that's just me I admit. Did former AD Weaver do any of these contracts or is this all on Babcock? I mean, if you are going to go on the road against a G5, then at least make it somebody like UCF, USF, or the like.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019 03:14 PM by Wear Purple.)
06-09-2019 03:13 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I'd normally say bring 'em on, let's dance. But we already have UNC and Chattanooga scheduled for 2020. Not gonna happen.
06-09-2019 04:28 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(06-09-2019 04:28 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  I'd normally say bring 'em on, let's dance. But we already have UNC and Chattanooga scheduled for 2020. Not gonna happen.

I would love to see JMU schedule VT & UNC in the same season. Boune should call Whit and say, "show me $1,000,000."

Bourne does not have the stones or moxie. Chatanoofa is more our level and ambition.
06-09-2019 06:25 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Some of their fans on Twitter are asking for NDSU if they had to schedule FCS. God, they’re idiots. They really don’t follow college football outside of Blacksburg.
06-09-2019 06:34 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison

They do get Penn State at home in 2020, Notre Dame in 2021, and WVU in 2022.

State Penn and Norte Dame are two schools that will come to your venue if it means it will help them recruit that territory. Some schools will even sell that home game and move it like Indiana hosting State Penn in DC a few years ago and many similar games for Dame. So if I was Vatech I wouldn’t be too stoked to be hosting them when they’re just coming into Virginia to swipe your prep talent.
06-09-2019 07:00 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-09-2019 07:00 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

They do get Penn State at home in 2020, Notre Dame in 2021, and WVU in 2022.

State Penn and Norte Dame are two schools that will come to your venue if it means it will help them recruit that territory. Some schools will even sell that home game and move it like Indiana hosting State Penn in DC a few years ago and many similar games for Dame. So if I was Vatech I wouldn’t be too stoked to be hosting them when they’re just coming into Virginia to swipe your prep talent.

As far as ND goes, their appearances in Blacksburg are part of their deal with the ACC. Nothing more nothing less. They aren’t going to Southwest Virginy to tap into a recruiting hot bed (that doesn’t exist).
06-09-2019 07:05 PM
jmu007 Offline
All American

That article was good for a cheap laugh. Nothing about it is grounded in reality. JMU doesn't have an opening to even consider VA Tech, we certainly won't come cheap, and at this point... what does JMU even have to gain outside of a huge payday. Unless they're paying $1 million or more we have nothing to gain.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019 07:13 PM by jmu007.)
06-09-2019 07:13 PM
jmufbs Offline
Special Teams

ODU
Furman
Duke
Rhode Island
UNCheat
Wake Forest
Pitt

Upcoming games on the road at MTSU, ODU (again), Liberty, Marshall, and ODU (yet again) make absolutely no sense to me. Would love to see JMU@VT happen, but unlikely I'd guess.

if we were on the schedule this year, JMU would hands down be the most anticipated home game for the hokies and their fan base.
not even close. no reason we shouldn't hope to be in the same conference one day.
06-09-2019 07:30 PM
hburg Offline

ODU
Furman
Duke
Rhode Island
UNCheat
Wake Forest
Pitt

When I saw ODU and Furman, and RI, I was like oh my goodness they are scheduling 3 FCS games...crazy...then I realized ODU is actually FBS.07-coffee3
06-09-2019 11:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I wish JMU would play VA Tech
06-10-2019 06:21 AM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(06-09-2019 06:34 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Some of their fans on Twitter are asking for NDSU if they had to schedule FCS. God, they’re idiots. They really don’t follow college football outside of Blacksburg.

Oh man I'd love to see that. They'd still find a way to convince themselves analogies like that whole "VT as a mid level NBA team and an FCS championship as a European basketball championship" nonsense are accurate even after NDSU beats them though.
06-10-2019 06:24 AM
Dukester Offline

Not that interested playing at Tech unless the payday is HUGE. I'd rather play other P5 teams than Tech. As of now, I have a sweet taste in my mouth about Tech. I like that our last game was a win.
06-10-2019 08:33 AM
Madison 91 Forever Offline
1st String

(06-09-2019 02:35 PM)Ashby Hall Wrote:  There is a lot of faint praise and condescension in the article.

The analogy to one of the best basketball teams in Europe being able to defeat a middle tier NBA team is, frankly, apt. Yes, I realize that in 2010 a mediocre JMU squad beat a pretty good Tech team. In most years we can compete against any G5 and some P5s. But even our best teams obviously cannot compete against Alabama or Notre Dame.

Frankly I'm not looking forward to a rematch with Tech, but it's inevitable. Bring it.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2019 08:45 AM by Madison 91 Forever.)
06-10-2019 08:43 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

ODU
Furman
Duke
Rhode Island
UNCheat
Wake Forest
Pitt

Wow.

That’s ummm, pretty terrible. I could see 2, maybe 3 of those worth wandering down from NoVa or Poormond. I could also see skipping that entire slate. Eeeeesh.
06-10-2019 08:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.