Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gator Bowl News
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
Gator Bowl News
Looks like a lot of assumptions we were going off of may be wrong. The Gator Bowl is in some trouble.

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2019...to-survive

Quote:
Quote:"We have to step up our game. We're not going to be the Poulan Weed-Eater [Independence] Bowl. My instructions from our board is to move it forward or we're done."

CEO Rick Calett who just had his salary cut in half and who admitted that the 500,000 the Jaguars just saved him were drops in the bucket to their problem.

The SDSU stadium deal revealed the Holiday Bowl is losing money, with the forced sale to the Aztecs it will lose more money having to pay rent.

The Sun Bowl has seen a similar issue in its attendance with a significant dip. The gator bowl sold more out of town tickets than they did local ones which is an issue for them like it would be for El Paso who hasn't seen that kind of dip. While making fun of the Independence bowl, it should be pointed out the Indy Bowl itself is looking to make changes.

The landscape seems more volatile than what it appeared last summer and now into this offseason heading into the new contracts.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019 07:59 PM by Foreverandever.)
04-20-2019 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Gator Bowl News
There’s probably room for about 15-20 bowl games to actually make a profit. Beyond that, you’re dealing with teams that few people care about, playing (sometimes) in destinations or venues that just aren’t that great.
04-20-2019 08:06 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(04-20-2019 08:06 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There’s probably room for about 15-20 bowl games to actually make a profit. Beyond that, you’re dealing with teams that few people care about, playing (sometimes) in destinations or venues that just aren’t that great.

I agree which is why both conferences and bowls are ignoring best teams and looking for best fits. The ACC and B1G both want the lower bowls to be strictly drivable. Many bowls are looking for more regional conferences or high pecking order picks. A ranked team will probably bring more and get more local interest than a 6-6 team from 1000 miles away. Or a regional team that is a conference champ/runner up will bring more.
04-20-2019 08:23 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(04-20-2019 08:23 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(04-20-2019 08:06 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There’s probably room for about 15-20 bowl games to actually make a profit. Beyond that, you’re dealing with teams that few people care about, playing (sometimes) in destinations or venues that just aren’t that great.

I agree which is why both conferences and bowls are ignoring best teams and looking for best fits. The ACC and B1G both want the lower bowls to be strictly drivable. Many bowls are looking for more regional conferences or high pecking order picks. A ranked team will probably bring more and get more local interest than a 6-6 team from 1000 miles away. Or a regional team that is a conference champ/runner up will bring more.

Yeah I think that is why the split ended and the ACC took the Gator and the Big10 took the Music City Bowl. They want bowls in their footprint or at least very close for everything outside the top couple. Guess we shall see how it all shakes out.
04-20-2019 09:27 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(04-20-2019 09:27 PM)PT_american Wrote:  
(04-20-2019 08:23 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

Yeah I think that is why the split ended and the ACC took the Gator and the Big10 took the Music City Bowl. They want bowls in their footprint or at least very close for everything outside the top couple. Guess we shall see how it all shakes out.

Also it has to be specific years with the new conference limit on bowl bids.

Which is why you are seeing odds and even numbers on years for alternating bowls. They don't want vague language where two conference have to send a team 3 out of 6 years some how. They want set contracts.
04-20-2019 11:57 PM
MTXE Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOL
They need to get rid of the bowls and play a 10 team championship.
04-21-2019 12:10 AM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
The bowls have to do better job picking teams
Dallas is played Dec 26th, WV-Utah worked out so well
They invited Boise-BC, so many fans showed up, game was cancelled.
No Tex brings 30,000, why were they not there

Does ACC send GT to Bir, no we're P5, we do not play before Xmass
26th in Detroit with 10,000 fans, we're P5
04-21-2019 01:02 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(04-21-2019 01:02 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  [Dallas] invited Boise-BC, so many fans showed up, game was cancelled.
That was a weather thing.
Quote:No Tex brings 30,000, why were they not there
UNT would’ve brought a decent crowd, yes. 30k sounds... a tad non-realistic.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2019 07:05 AM by Native Georgian.)
04-21-2019 06:39 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Do a 12 team playoff and choose the remaining bowl participants based on geography, not conference affiliation.
04-21-2019 07:00 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
With two teams in Florida could we get a Gator Bowl deal?
04-21-2019 08:23 AM
Topcat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC
We can't lose the Gator Bowl.

It rid the world of Woody Hayes !
04-21-2019 08:26 AM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
the inevitable result of the playoff - only the bowls involved really matter to large numbers of ticket buying fans unless the game is in their backyards. all bowl games outside of the playoffs are just programing, profitable only to the broadcaster
04-21-2019 09:09 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2019 09:09 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  the inevitable result of the playoff - only the bowls involved really matter to large numbers of ticket buying fans unless the game is in their backyards. all bowl games outside of the playoffs are just programing, profitable only to the broadcaster

I wouldn't say that.

I would say the bowls need to do a better job of thinking like the NIT did before the NCAA got involved. It's nice, the fans will support it, they'll watch it, they won't drive across country to see it.

This is why I doubt the ACC will stay in the Sun Bowl. Money is irrelevant as far as bowl pay outs go. The Big 10 pulling out of Red Box Bowl. If it's not a top two or three bowl for the conference they want it in the footprint.
04-21-2019 09:43 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
For non playoff games...the only way to sell tickets locally IN advance is to offer a "hometown" discount....as locals are not shelling out $100-$200 to see a game (possibly in bad weather) involving 2 teams they don't care about.

Heck...even some NYD6 Bowls where fans have to travel long distances (like UCF did for the Fiesta Bowl twice in last 5 years), the "face value" of club seats ($250 and higher) is ridiculous...(fortunately, secondary market can find tix for 1/4 of that or even less).
04-21-2019 09:51 AM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
(04-21-2019 08:23 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  With two teams in Florida could we get a Gator Bowl deal?

Well Memphis brought the Liberty bowl with it so there's hope...
04-21-2019 10:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-21-2019 09:43 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(04-21-2019 09:09 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  the inevitable result of the playoff - only the bowls involved really matter to large numbers of ticket buying fans unless the game is in their backyards. all bowl games outside of the playoffs are just programing, profitable only to the broadcaster

I wouldn't say that.

I would say the bowls need to do a better job of thinking like the NIT did before the NCAA got involved. It's nice, the fans will support it, they'll watch it, they won't drive across country to see it.

This is why I doubt the ACC will stay in the Sun Bowl. Money is irrelevant as far as bowl pay outs go. The Big 10 pulling out of Red Box Bowl. If it's not a top two or three bowl for the conference they want it in the footprint.

As long as the Sun Bowl is paying about 3.5 million per team, I seriously doubt the ACC dumps it. I have heard or read absolutely nothing that would indicate such an action by the ACC is likely. 04-cheers
04-21-2019 10:29 AM
Advertisement

Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2019 10:29 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-21-2019 09:43 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

I wouldn't say that.

As long as the Sun Bowl is paying about 3.5 million per team, I seriously doubt the ACC dumps it. I have heard or read absolutely nothing that would indicate such an action by the ACC is likely. 04-cheers

None of their teams want to go to it. I believe the closest school is 1400 miles away.

They just picked up the Holiday Bowl in California...vs the PAC who they play in the Sun Bowl. Since after about a 1000 miles it's irrelevant, that the Vegas Bowl is pushing the PAC selection down the order, and they have a higher match up in a much more fertile recruiting area, and much more desirable destination, which bowl is likely to get dropped? Especially since El Paso and the Sun Bowl are worried about their attendance which has been falling under the ACC/PAC combo.

The restrictions of the NCAA bowl ties, the creation of two new high end bowls in LA and Vegas changing selection orders for conferences mean it's becoming a numbers game.

Especially when you look at the difference between being paid 1.7m to travel 1000 miles plus vs 1m to travel 350 miles in a revenue pay out that exceeds 30m.

The math is pretty obvious here and why Chicago couldn't get a high end bowl despite interest from the B1G. The ACC and the SEC don't want a cold weather out of footprint middling bowl.

Some of these bowls are going to change, they have to.

Curious, how well could a bowl do in St. Louis? They have a dome, it's a major city. I think a Military, Birmingham type bowl could succeed there. Especially if it's a B1G tie in.
04-21-2019 11:17 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

One thing the Sun Bowl has going for it... the game is broadcast by CBS — the real CBS, not the CBS Sports Network. Not saying that CBS will (or can) save the Sun Bowl all by itself, but that’s a nice way to distinguish from all the other crap-bowls on cable.
04-21-2019 01:49 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Gator Bowl still has some name equity.

Could the AAC 'save' it? Maybe an exclusive bowl tie in for the AAC vs a top 25 team?
04-21-2019 03:04 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Gator Bowl News
(04-21-2019 03:04 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Gator Bowl still has some name equity.

Could the AAC 'save' it? Maybe an exclusive bowl tie in for the AAC vs a top 25 team?

Dairy Whip Bowl
04-21-2019 03:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.