Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 and ESPN sign a short term media rights deal
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Big 12 and ESPN sign a short term media rights deal
John Ourand from Sports Business Journal is reporting today that ESPN has basically purchased a large chunk of Big 12 content for the remainder of their current deal.

The key acquisitions are the conference championship games, but also that a lot of content will be shifted to ESPN+. Looks like FOX gave up a ton of 3rd tier rights at the same time they were giving up the CCGs.

SBJ reports

I know there's another thread on this, but I'm interested in any conference realignment angle that can be concluded from this so I figured I'd create a thread over here.

Texas and Oklahoma are protected from putting content on ESPN+. Lots of reasons for that, but what is most interesting to me is that the whole deal runs concurrent with their primary media deal.

Also looks like FOX is checking out to me.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but it looks like it just became simpler for ESPN to redirect pieces of the Big 12 in a few years.
04-10-2019 09:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Big 12 and ESPN sign a short term media rights deal
(04-10-2019 09:46 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  John Ourand from Sports Business Journal is reporting today that ESPN has basically purchased a large chunk of Big 12 content for the remainder of their current deal.

The key acquisitions are the conference championship games, but also that a lot of content will be shifted to ESPN+. Looks like FOX gave up a ton of 3rd tier rights at the same time they were giving up the CCGs.

SBJ reports

I know there's another thread on this, but I'm interested in any conference realignment angle that can be concluded from this so I figured I'd create a thread over here.

Texas and Oklahoma are protected from putting content on ESPN+. Lots of reasons for that, but what is most interesting to me is that the whole deal runs concurrent with their primary media deal.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but it looks like it just became simpler for ESPN to redirect pieces of the Big 12 in a few years.

That's right, but to toss a monkey wrench into this it also makes it possible for ESPN to roll the rest of the Big 12 into the LHN and create a B12N and if that happens, it makes taking product from the PAC 12 much more feasible. If the LHN becomes a B12N it makes the Big 12 stable enough to attract disgruntled PAC members.

Such a move would likely bring future realignment to a snails pace.

But, if the SEC's new TV deal with CBS does indeed elevate us to around a 60 million dollar TV revenue payout to the SEC members it will make it possible for ESPN to possibly merge B12 remnants with some PAC incoming schools and still permit a few key brands to move.

I raise this question, "Might the surrender of the LHN to become a B12N be an effective way for Texas to pay their exit fees should Texas decide to move, especially if it is all within house?"
04-10-2019 11:44 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(04-10-2019 11:44 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-10-2019 09:46 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  John Ourand from Sports Business Journal is reporting today that ESPN has basically purchased a large chunk of Big 12 content for the remainder of their current deal.

SBJ reports

That's right, but to toss a monkey wrench into this it also makes it possible for ESPN to roll the rest of the Big 12 into the LHN and create a B12N and if that happens, it makes taking product from the PAC 12 much more feasible. If the LHN becomes a B12N it makes the Big 12 stable enough to attract disgruntled PAC members.

But, if the SEC's new TV deal with CBS does indeed elevate us to around a 60 million dollar TV revenue payout to the SEC members it will make it possible for ESPN to possibly merge B12 remnants with some PAC incoming schools and still permit a few key brands to move.

I raise this question, "Might the surrender of the LHN to become a B12N be an effective way for Texas to pay their exit fees should Texas decide to move, especially if it is all within house?"

What this might prove is that the Big 12 schools can survive without needing Texas or Oklahoma to carry the conference.

I’m not following the LHN gets converted into a B12N theory. ESPN+ will provide that platform. A linear network is awesome if it is carried across the country to bring more revenue and exposure, but only the SEC and Big Ten have successful networks; the ACC Network is coming out soon while the LHN and PACN’s have distribution problems. ESPN+ is slowly being built to be that next must have content provider for sports in this streaming world just like ESPN was in the world of cable Television.

Now if Texas or Oklahoma do bolt for another conference, scheduling will be a huge issue for any sixteen team conference under current ncaa regulations.
04-10-2019 12:29 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Just more proof of why leaving the Bevo Clown Show Circus was the best decision ever.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 02:20 PM by 10thMountain.)
04-10-2019 02:20 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

SBJ reports

Makes me wonder if there were any members among the PAC 12 that didn't want Scott to reject the recent media offer from ESPN?

If there were then such schools might be willing to join the Big 12 if it means getting an ESPN owned conference network and all the perks that come with it. That is, assuming Texas and Oklahoma are staying.

But your question is also interesting. If Texas wanted to leave early then trading a property like that would be more beneficial than just paying the other members some cash. If ESPN is still in control of the operation and helps make a few strategic adds then I could see a Big 12 Network functioning even if UT isn't a part of it.

It leads me down another line of thought. Texas could pay their exit fees off with a trade like that. Oklahoma wouldn't be able to do that. Would they stick around if ESPN can persuade certain PAC schools to come aboard? What if Oklahoma was willing to anchor a new league as long as everything came with ESPN distribution?

Texas and Texas Tech could move to the SEC

What if West Virginia was allowed to slip out and go to the ACC?

Following their departures, the Big 12 adds a few PAC members...

UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado

What about adding Houston to regain a little more penetration in the state of TX?

West: UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Kansas State
East: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Iowa State

If that league has ESPN distribution and a conference network then I don't see any reason it couldn't be very successful.

From the network's perspective, the SEC wouldn't grow too strong either.
04-10-2019 02:29 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-10-2019 02:29 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

SBJ reports

Makes me wonder if there were any members among the PAC 12 that didn't want Scott to reject the recent media offer from ESPN?

If there were then such schools might be willing to join the Big 12 if it means getting an ESPN owned conference network and all the perks that come with it. That is, assuming Texas and Oklahoma are staying.

But your question is also interesting. If Texas wanted to leave early then trading a property like that would be more beneficial than just paying the other members some cash. If ESPN is still in control of the operation and helps make a few strategic adds then I could see a Big 12 Network functioning even if UT isn't a part of it.

It leads me down another line of thought. Texas could pay their exit fees off with a trade like that. Oklahoma wouldn't be able to do that. Would they stick around if ESPN can persuade certain PAC schools to come aboard? What if Oklahoma was willing to anchor a new league as long as everything came with ESPN distribution?

Texas and Texas Tech could move to the SEC

What if West Virginia was allowed to slip out and go to the ACC?

Following their departures, the Big 12 adds a few PAC members...

UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado

What about adding Houston to regain a little more penetration in the state of TX?

West: UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Kansas State
East: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Iowa State

If that league has ESPN distribution and a conference network then I don't see any reason it couldn't be very successful.

From the network's perspective, the SEC wouldn't grow too strong either.

No state school from California would make that move. Likely Stanford (private), Oregon, and Washington would decline as well.

If the Big 12 could prove stability their targets would be 4: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah. B.Y.U. might still also be possible. The only California school that might consider leaving (and it's very doubtful) would be U.S.C. which is private and has had a history of acting in its own self interest.
04-11-2019 12:17 PM
Advertisement

OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Despite network and management issues, I don't see the PAC 12 making splits....yet. They should have accepted OU/oSu several years ago when they had the opportunity.
04-11-2019 04:24 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(04-11-2019 04:24 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Despite network and management issues, I don't see the PAC 12 making splits....yet. They should have accepted OU/oSu several years ago when they had the opportunity.

I still see the Pac12 making changes in leadership as a last resort before Presidents start to seriously look at realignment options. Wilber has posted quotes from severAl PAC presidents unhappy with Scott’s results.
04-12-2019 07:19 AM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(04-10-2019 02:20 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Just more proof of why leaving the Bevo Clown Show Circus was the best decision ever.

You root for a school that joined the Bevo Clown conference.

Do you consider TCU when you post your BS about the Big 12?
04-13-2019 12:45 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

(04-13-2019 12:45 AM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  
(04-10-2019 02:20 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Just more proof of why leaving the Bevo Clown Show Circus was the best decision ever.

Your username is literally the conferences you wish Tech was in instead of the Bevo Clown Show
04-13-2019 09:12 AM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(04-12-2019 07:19 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(04-11-2019 04:24 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Despite network and management issues, I don't see the PAC 12 making splits....yet. They should have accepted OU/oSu several years ago when they had the opportunity.

I still see the Pac12 making changes in leadership as a last resort before Presidents start to seriously look at realignment options. Wilber has posted quotes from severAl PAC presidents unhappy with Scott’s results.

Good point to convey, murrdcu. Scott, when appointed as the PAC10 Commissioner, moved fairly fast on the expansion front that ended with the Colorado and Utah additions. The more extensive proposal involving others, inclusive of Texas & Oklahoma, failed. Getting cooperation from all political players, both internally and externally, proved too much to muster.

On the later co-op initiative with the BIG, USC & Stanford undermined that, citing their preferred relationships with scheduling Notre Dame yearly.

The launch of the PAC12 network, quickly ran into frustration per carriage, including the saga related to DirecTV.

Scott, having gotten those early rebuttals, seemed to lose innovative boldness, and thus, his detractors have been expressing his priorities became less about conference revenue enhancements for each member school, while he enjoyed the generous amenities of the job.

That may be an unfair characterization at least in part. Nevertheless, there is divisiveness, and the conference needs to fix that. Some of those Presidents need to step up and help form a unified, plausible direction in moving forward. It is fixable.
04-13-2019 01:19 PM
Advertisement

P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(04-13-2019 09:12 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(04-13-2019 12:45 AM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  

Your username is literally the conferences you wish Tech was in instead of the Bevo Clown Show

I've addressed my screen name and feel no need to repeat it.

Stay focused. TCU, a school you went to/graduated from is a member of the Big 12 Conference. They are member of a conference you trash on a weekly basis.

I'm sure real TCU fans/grads love it when you trash the Big 12 since you personally do not have any affiliation with College Station. My wife graduated from an ACC school but I will never claim to be a fan of her school. I guess living vicariously thru others is awesome for some.

I wish you and the Frogs all the best.
04-13-2019 03:09 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

You dislike the Bevo Clown Show so much that you made your screen name the conferences you wish Tech belonged to instead

You are constantly posting on both this SEC sub forum and the main forum about how badly you want Tech to leave the Bevo Clown Show for greener pastures

But now youre defending the honor of the L10?

I’m sorry but I just can’t hear you over the volume of your hypocrisy
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2019 05:32 PM by 10thMountain.)
04-13-2019 05:21 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

I second this. Glad we are off the merry-go-round.
04-16-2019 03:43 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Article from Awful Announcing on the media deal:

ESPN/Big 12 deal was way to resolve champ game pricing
04-16-2019 09:32 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-16-2019 09:32 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Article from Awful Announcing on the media deal:

The key to future realignment will remain whether or not ESPN lands the Oklahoma T3 rights package currently held by FOX. If ESPN lands it they might assist the Sooners and Horns in a move and backfill from the AAC, or they might preserve the Big 12 and try to lure a couple of PAC outliers, or they might just be content to own the Big 12, most of the SEC, and all of the ACC in the most sports crazy regions of the nation.

If FOX retains OU then a Sooner move to the Big 10 might be in the offing in 2025 and I believe that precipitate a move by Texas and a couple of other Big 12 schools.

Things will likely remain stone quiet until around 2022, or until the SEC renews it's T1 contract.
04-16-2019 10:02 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(04-16-2019 10:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-16-2019 09:32 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Article from Awful Announcing on the media deal:

The key to future realignment will remain whether or not ESPN lands the Oklahoma T3 rights package currently held by FOX. If ESPN lands it they might assist the Sooners and Horns in a move and backfill from the AAC, or they might preserve the Big 12 and try to lure a couple of PAC outliers, or they might just be content to own the Big 12, most of the SEC, and all of the ACC in the most sports crazy regions of the nation.

If FOX retains OU then a Sooner move to the Big 10 might be in the offing in 2025 and I believe that precipitate a move by Texas and a couple of other Big 12 schools.

Things will likely remain stone quiet until around 2022, or until the SEC renews it's T1 contract.

The question to me is what would FOX do with Oklahoma's T3 rights other than putting them on the BTN? They've gutted the platform needed to use content like that.

So if FOX's ability to purchase those rights is completely contingent on getting OU into the Big Ten then what should matter most is which conference can monetize those rights most profitably.

Of course, I doubt OU wants any significant portion of their content on ESPN+, but ESPN looks like the only company with a large and varied enough platform to really take advantage of what OU is going to be selling.
04-16-2019 11:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-16-2019 11:05 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

The question to me is what would FOX do with Oklahoma's T3 rights other than putting them on the BTN? They've gutted the platform needed to use content like that.

So if FOX's ability to purchase those rights is completely contingent on getting OU into the Big Ten then what should matter most is which conference can monetize those rights most profitably.

Of course, I doubt OU wants any significant portion of their content on ESPN+, but ESPN looks like the only company with a large and varied enough platform to really take advantage of what OU is going to be selling.

FOX would be wanting the content multiplying value of the OU brand vs some of the brands in the Big 10, so they want the T1 rights even more than they want the T3.

The bigger question is whether FOX will even bid on the T1 & T2 rights of the Big 10 in 2023? It may be another case where ESPN is competing with NBC or CBS.

It isn't illogical to follow out the FOX strategy in essentially opting out of the Big 12 CCG, and selling off their RSNs. They may be opting out of the college sports end of it altogether. Mind you I'm not saying that they are, but I am saying you can't rule that out in light of their recent transactions.

One would have to think that OU would be very dubious of moving to the Big 10 w/o Texas and that Texas would be very dubious of so completely abandoning their business model by moving to the Big 10 period, or with OU.

I just don't see either being as likely as they might have been a couple of years ago.

I think that either OU and UT move to the SEC and the Big 12 backfills with the AAC's cream. Or the Big 12 remains as is, or possibly grows to 14 with B.Y.U. and Cincinnati coming aboard.

The PAC seems to me to be odd man out.

Strategically ESPN picks up carriage in Ohio, and via Notre Dame has it in Indiana, enhanced in New York with Syracuse & N.D., and has it in Chicago, Detroit, as cities, due to N.D. So with that addition to the Big 12 they gain coverage wherever there are Mormons, on the West Coast, and deeper into the underbelly of the Big 10 without having to go whole hog in any of those areas. Meanwhile they keep the Deep South, Atlantic Coast into New England, and the Southwest sewed up in 3 fourteen full member conferences with N.D. as the only partial.

Scheduling arrangements between the Big 12 / ACC / and SEC keep all of that glorious T.V. revenue in house with the exception of the CBS game of the week.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 11:39 PM by JRsec.)
04-16-2019 11:34 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(04-16-2019 11:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

FOX would be wanting the content multiplying value of the OU brand vs some of the brands in the Big 10, so they want the T1 rights even more than they want the T3.

The bigger question is whether FOX will even bid on the T1 & T2 rights of the Big 10 in 2023? It may be another case where ESPN is competing with NBC or CBS.

It isn't illogical to follow out the FOX strategy in essentially opting out of the Big 12 CCG, and selling off their RSNs. They may be opting out of the college sports end of it altogether. Mind you I'm not saying that they are, but I am saying you can't rule that out in light of their recent transactions.

One would have to think that OU would be very dubious of moving to the Big 10 w/o Texas and that Texas would be very dubious of so completely abandoning their business model by moving to the Big 10 period, or with OU.

I just don't see either being as likely as they might have been a couple of years ago.

I think that either OU and UT move to the SEC and the Big 12 backfills with the AAC's cream. Or the Big 12 remains as is, or possibly grows to 14 with B.Y.U. and Cincinnati coming aboard.

Strategically ESPN picks up carriage in Ohio, and via Notre Dame has it in Indiana, enhanced in New York with Syracuse & N.D., and has it in Chicago, Detroit, as cities, due to N.D. So with that addition to the Big 12 they gain coverage wherever there are Mormons, on the West Coast, and deeper into the underbelly of the Big 10 without having to go whole hog in any of those areas. Meanwhile they keep the Deep South, Atlantic Coast into New England, and the Southwest sewed up in 3 fourteen full member conferences with N.D. as the only partial.

Scheduling arrangements between the Big 12 / ACC / and SEC keep all of that glorious T.V. revenue in house with the exception of the CBS game of the week.

I can certainly see FOX being more pro sports oriented from here on out.

With that said, it will be hard to abandon college sports altogether. You've still got some really good ratings potential if you have the right content in house. They have a good relationship with the Big Ten right now so I'm not sure they would give that up unless the profitability just isn't there in a few years.

An interesting wrinkle to this is what happens if MLB and Liberty Media's bid to buy the RSNs goes through? MLB is interested in a more centralized rights package. While FOX has benefitted a good bit from MLB content, will it become a lot more expensive to do business if the individual clubs aren't negotiating as much on their own? Baseball would be pretty reliable content for FOX, but it could suck up a lot of resources.

Considering FOX will never give up their NFL package, they don't necessarily need college football. What they would need is something during the Winter months. They don't have much college basketball right now and none of the NBA. None of the NHL for that matter.
04-17-2019 12:30 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-17-2019 12:30 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(04-16-2019 11:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I can certainly see FOX being more pro sports oriented from here on out.

With that said, it will be hard to abandon college sports altogether. You've still got some really good ratings potential if you have the right content in house. They have a good relationship with the Big Ten right now so I'm not sure they would give that up unless the profitability just isn't there in a few years.

An interesting wrinkle to this is what happens if MLB and Liberty Media's bid to buy the RSNs goes through? MLB is interested in a more centralized rights package. While FOX has benefitted a good bit from MLB content, will it become a lot more expensive to do business if the individual clubs aren't negotiating as much on their own? Baseball would be pretty reliable content for FOX, but it could suck up a lot of resources.

Considering FOX will never give up their NFL package, they don't necessarily need college football. What they would need is something during the Winter months. They don't have much college basketball right now and none of the NBA. None of the NHL for that matter.

Just ask yourself this reasonable question. If FOX has 50% of the PAC (poor ratings), 50% of the T1 & T2 of the Big 12, (mid level ratings), and 50% of the Big 10's T1 & T2 along with their complete T3, but with no basketball to speak of (solid ratings) then why do they slip in their holdings on their #2 conference?

I'm not claiming to have the answer, but their behavior in all of this shows so far that they have little interest in T3 outside of the BTN, and may not wish to be anymore involved than 50% ownership in T1 & T2 for the Big 12, Big 10, and PAC with only B12 and PAC hoops to air, and even those positions may be in question.

It will be interesting to see what they do in 2023-5. It could be a game changer without them active in realignment strategies. It's healthy for all of the conferences, ours included, if thy remain engaged.
04-17-2019 12:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.