Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

47 Years Ago Today: Memphis State-Louisville for the MVC Crown in Nashville
Bookmark and Share
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
47 Years Ago Today: Memphis State-Louisville for the MVC Crown in Nashville
MemphisTigerJeb with the Tiger history. The way they used to solve tie-breaks. Anyone on the board go to the game?

* Until 1975, only the conference champion went to the NCAA tourney. So we went to the NIT.
* Only 25 teams, weird number, got invited to the NCAA tourney in that stretch. Louisville would go on to lose to UCLA in the Final Four.
* Denny Crum's first year at Louisville.
* 1971-1972 was the last season Freshman couldn't play.
* Memphis would finish 13th in the final AP poll, after losing to Oral Roberts in the NIT at Madison Square Garden. Louisville finished 4th.
* Memphis State would lose the first 3 games the next season, '72-'73, then turn it around, win the MVC, and go to the NCAA tourney championship game versus UCLA.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 12:12 PM by Tigx.)
03-11-2019 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
RE: 47 Years Ago Today: Memphis State-Louisville for the MVC Crown in Nashville
I went to that game in Vanderbilt's gym. I was 7 at the time.
03-11-2019 01:00 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

I Root For: Memphis
I went. Don't remember a thing about it other than we lost and the UL fans were jerks.
03-11-2019 07:37 PM
Advertisement

EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
Is that the game where a Nashville police officer started to pull a gun on a Memphis player out on the court? It was before my time, but I remember hearing something about that.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 08:02 PM by EvilLore.)
03-11-2019 08:01 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

Would be cool to do a 3 game series vs UL similar to the Tennessee set up.

1 in Memphis
1 in Louisville
1 in Nashville w/ split gate
03-11-2019 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
(03-11-2019 08:32 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Would be cool to do a 3 game series vs UL similar to the Tennessee set up.

1 in Memphis
1 in Louisville
1 in Nashville w/ split gate

I’m hip.
03-11-2019 09:08 PM
Tiger69 Offline
Water Engineer

I went to the game, drove up from Atlanta. If memory serves me correctly, that was before the time clock. Louisville got an early lead and the game moved very slowly, they did not stall but did not look for shots either. We could seemingly never catch up. If I remember we trailed by five to eight points the whole game.

Probably one of the most intense college basketball crowds in NCAA history for the simple reason that no one had a home court advantage and assuming a capacity of 14,000, it was evenly packed on both sides. Rarely other than a national finals, will you have that many people at a game SPLIT EVENLY.

I remember Ronnie Robinson, and Larry Finch playing, can't remember who else was on that team. But it was an intense game unlike almost any other college game that has ever been played because of the split-even crowd, which filled the gym to capacity. Great experience!!!
03-12-2019 01:13 PM
Advertisement

selleg1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I was in high school. It was by far the craziest environment for a basketball game you could imagine. It was sold out with 1/2 of the tickets going to each school. The insane part was that all tickets were general admission. Due to the fact that there were no reserved seats, there were thousands of people around each entrance of Memorial gym three hours prior to tip-off. They opened all of the doors at once and it was a mad scramble to get the best seats. There were many fights in the three hours leading up to the game. Fans from one school would walk around the corner with a banner for flag and someone from the other school would start a fight by tearing up the banner. I will never experience another game like that. Definitely one for the memories.
03-12-2019 05:05 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

(03-11-2019 08:01 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  Is that the game where a Nashville police officer started to pull a gun on a Memphis player out on the court? It was before my time, but I remember hearing something about that.

I don't remember that in this game. There was another game with UL where Fred Horton picked up a chair and went after somebody. I think he broke Wayne Yates' arm but didn't get to whomever he was after. After that, whenever we'd get behind in a home game, the student section would yell for Horton to go pick up a chair. Sadly, he didn't. Good times.
03-12-2019 06:56 PM
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
Another great game in Tiger history that season was the Marquette game at the Coliseum, which at least for a time was ranked as the greatest game in Mid South Coliseum history in one of those CA rankings. 2nd game of the year, Marquette came in ranked #2 in the country behind only UCLA. Al McGuire coaching, Jim Chones the star. Memphis State had a 5 point lead with 1:19 left, then things went bad. Sugar Frazier, a bad shooter, got stuck with the ball and hit a 30 foot shot as time expired to give Marquette a 74-73 victory. Here's a summary if anyone wants to read: https://www.facebook.com/AlMcGuiresWarri...021425049/

This was the famous game where Al McGuire flipped the bird to the Mid South Coliseum crowd as the Marquette team left the floor. Of course the CA had to dance around that:

"The arena remained hushed as the jubilant Warriors rushed the court and Al triumphantly strode off of it, thrusting his clenched fist into the air as he was heard shouting to the shell-shocked Memphis State fans, "Take that! Take that!"

Tennessee sportswriter Dave Bloom of The Commercial Appeal described Al as "waving derisively at the crowd, dancing around like a dervish."

"I gave the crowd a dig," Al admitted matter-of-factly after the game. "If it had been the other way, they'd have given it to me."

One other weird thing. Jim Chones got an offer from the ABA New York Nets during the season. The Nets said he had to accept the offer now, so Chones left the team during the season when Marquette was 20-0 and still ranked #2 in the nation. They would finish 25-4 and lose to Kentucky in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 12:08 AM by Tigx.)
03-13-2019 12:01 AM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Basketball before the advent of the shot clock seems outright futile.
03-13-2019 12:22 AM
hammer595 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
I was in the 6th grade at Colonial and a huge Tiger fan; we did not have season tickets but somehow my father got tickets I think they were $5 each so me and my parents drove there in my aunt's borrowed 1968 Pontiac Catalina (for some reason) and had to stay in Murfreesboro because all the Nashville hotels were sold out. The crowd was incredibly loud with both sides yelling "We're Number One". Like others have said it was a crowd like I have not seen since with the rabid half and half split. It was incredibly exciting although I don't remember the game other than we lost. That trip is still one my favorite all time memories; had to stop at the Parthenon on the way home of course.
03-13-2019 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.