Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB-ODU ending - Jeff Jones
Bookmark and Share
CrushMI Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
UAB-ODU ending - Jeff Jones
What was Jeff Jones upset about? I just saw the clip of the handshakes.
03-10-2019 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: UAB-ODU ending - Jeff Jones
(03-10-2019 01:11 PM)CrushMI Wrote:  What was Jeff Jones upset about? I just saw the clip of the handshakes.

The UAB coach shafted him in handshake line last time they play but tried to be buddy buddy this time.
03-10-2019 01:16 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
We need to see ODU's players get as fired up as Jones was.
03-10-2019 01:50 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

JJ shoulda just given him the crotch palm.

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/bewar...1751744997
03-10-2019 01:58 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2019 01:11 PM)CrushMI Wrote:  What was Jeff Jones upset about? I just saw the clip of the handshakes.

Jones was asked about it in the post game radio show and said that in the last game earlier this season (played at UAB) where ODU won by double digits, the UAB coach just gave him a drive by in the handshake line.

After this last game (played at UAB) where UAB won by double digits, the UAB coach wanted to shake hands and speak. Jones said that he just commented something like, "yeah, you want to shake hands and exchange pleasantries this time", and he said the UAB coach took exception to it. The radio team had already stated before Jeff came on that something had happened and that assistant coach Bryant Stith quickly moved to get in between them before something came of it. Jeff doesn't play that game. His feeling is win or lose you shake hands and congratulate.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019 11:09 PM by ODU BBALL.)
03-10-2019 11:08 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(03-10-2019 11:08 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Jones was asked about it in the post game radio show and said that in the last game earlier this season (played at UAB) where ODU won by double digits, the UAB coach just gave him a drive by in the handshake line.

After this last game (played at UAB) where UAB won by double digits, the UAB coach wanted to shake hands and speak. Jones said that he just commented something like, "yeah, you want to shake hands and exchange pleasantries this time", and he said the UAB coach took exception to it. The radio team had already stated before Jeff came on that something had happened and that assistant coach Bryant Stith quickly moved to get in between them before something came of it. Jeff doesn't play that game. His feeling is win or lose you shake hands and congratulate.

Are you sure about that? the underline part says different
03-10-2019 11:19 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-10-2019 11:19 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(03-10-2019 11:08 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Are you sure about that? the underline part says different

Which is why he called him out about it - as in this is what you are supposed to do all the time. Both statements fit together.

What's your take on it then?
03-10-2019 11:29 PM
Theflash Offline
1st String

I feel like a handshake is all that’s necessary. 9 times out of 10, the losing coach doesn’t want to be talked to and patted on the back and talked to. Shake hands and move on. Anything more/less and this is what happens.
03-11-2019 06:57 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2019 06:57 AM)Theflash Wrote:  I feel like a handshake is all that’s necessary. 9 times out of 10, the losing coach doesn’t want to be talked to and patted on the back and talked to. Shake hands and move on. Anything more/less and this is what happens.

I agree with that. A handshake unto itself is a form of exchanging pleasantries. I think Jeff's message was to be consistent in your post game actions whether your team wins or loses. For example, from watching Jim Larranaga over the years, it seems to me that he seldom (if ever) shakes hands. Every time I have watched him he simply walks past people in the line and gives a slight head nod as he is going by. Haven't seen any of his games this season so I don't know if he has changed his routine.

Anyway, I don't speak for Jeff. That's just my take on it based upon his candid response during the post game radio interview when asked about it.
03-11-2019 09:48 AM
Advertisement

WhatIsThisFeeling Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
They didn't show it on the broadcast but I was there and if you watched the players reactions to the coaches it was kind of like they were watching their moms spat with each other. Both teams players were kind of smiling and shaken their heads at the coaches.
I agree your end game routine should be the same all the time but who knows what's going through coaches minds after a game. Is what it is. Doesn't make me not think any less of either one and I still think ODU has the best chance in the tourney. Defense wins championships and you guys definitely have that!
03-11-2019 09:54 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
Is Jeff Jones feeling the pressure of the tourney looming ?

Will he get tight-sphincter-syndrome a la Kermit Davis ? Will his team feel this pressure ?
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 10:01 AM by KAjunRaider.)
03-11-2019 09:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2019 09:59 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Is Jeff Jones feeling the pressure of the tourney looming ?

Will he get tight-sphincter-syndrome a la Kermit Davis ? Will his team feel this pressure ?

I doubt it. Personally I think the team has over achieved this season by winning first place in the regular season. Another way to look at it is that the rest of the league has taken a step back and ODU has remained consistent in that they typically finish among the top 4 teams from year to year because their defense is consistent over time.
03-11-2019 10:07 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
A breakdown from a Norfolk TV reporter shows that Ehsan did shake Jones' hand after the first game this season so not sure what Jones is so up in arms about. Seems like sour grapes.
03-11-2019 04:13 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 04:13 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  A breakdown from a Norfolk TV reporter shows that Ehsan did shake Jones' hand after the first game this season so not sure what Jones is so up in arms about. Seems like sour grapes.

Some of it was sour grapes for sure. Jones wasn't saying he didn't shake his hand, he's saying he gave him to blow by then wanted to be real friendly when they won.
03-11-2019 04:15 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2019 04:13 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  A breakdown from a Norfolk TV reporter shows that Ehsan did shake Jones' hand after the first game this season so not sure what Jones is so up in arms about. Seems like sour grapes.

Well whatever it is, it is between them. I'm sure that Jeff didn't just make something up and frankly losing to UAB in a game that had no outcome on anything for the team to speak of doesn't warrant him having "sour grapes" from the final score. He's never had that issue with anybody else that I have heard of so there must have been something there.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 09:33 PM by ODU BBALL.)
03-11-2019 04:21 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
Did UAB score late when some teams just dribble it out ?

If so, maybe it was a senior who hasn't seen much PT
03-11-2019 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2019 08:51 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Did UAB score late when some teams just dribble it out ?

If so, maybe it was a senior who hasn't seen much PT

Basically, when ODU beat UAB a few weeks ago, Ehsan did the blow by handshake. This time, he wanted to stop and chat with Jones. Jones' point was if you are going to blow by in a loss, fine, but blow by me in a win, too. Don't pretend to be friends when you win, if you weren't friendly in a loss.

I think Jeff has seen it all as a coach. I don't think he cares if a coach responds one way or the other, I think he was just calling out Ehsan for the inconsistency.
03-12-2019 11:40 AM
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(03-12-2019 11:47 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  UAB’s coach is a little dickheaded weasel and Jones called him on it. Move on.

Yeah? Well Jeff Jones is a fat lesbian.*

* - Not my original. Stolen from one of our Scout posters after our last loss to ODU. I laughed and laughed.
03-12-2019 01:37 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

If we are comparing personalities, it's a bit of a bleak landscape. I think it fair to say that the only CUSA mbb head coaches with any claim to personal style are D'Antoni and Sadler. Maybe Henson.

The rest are somewhere between boring and embarrassing.
03-12-2019 02:03 PM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(03-12-2019 02:03 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  If we are comparing personalities, it's a bit of a bleak landscape. I think it fair to say that the only CUSA mbb head coaches with any claim to personal style are D'Antoni and Sadler. Maybe Henson.

The rest are somewhere between boring and embarrassing.

If when you say personal style, you mean wearing t-shirts and looking like slobs on the sideline than yes, they have personal style.
03-12-2019 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.