Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How another round of realignment could bring change to the sport of college football
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
How another round of realignment could bring change to the sport of college football
02-22-2019 11:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
More re-alignment talk.... yay...

Sent from the warp via the ruinous powers of chaos.
02-22-2019 11:39 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: How another round of realignment could bring change to the sport of college football
The author expresses my long held view that the Kansas and Wake Forests of the P5 are not safe from exclusion in the next realignment bout.
02-22-2019 11:47 AM
pvtlamb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WSU
RE: How another round of realignment could bring change to the sport of college football
What happens to college football in 20 years are several round of brain-injury related class-action lawsuits?

How much money will there be for flag football?
02-22-2019 11:51 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I believe these secondary pro leagues are worth keeping an eye on. If one of them takes hold, it could really change the game. Why would you go to Bama/Ohio State/ND when you could get cash right out of High School?
02-22-2019 12:02 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-22-2019 12:02 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I believe these secondary pro leagues are worth keeping an eye on. If one of them takes hold, it could really change the game. Why would you go to Bama/Ohio State/ND when you could get cash right out of High School?

Possibly because Alabama, Ohio State and Texas A&M pay more?
02-22-2019 12:19 PM
Advertisement

bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Unfortunately the money is screwing up the game. Killing leagues, rivalries reworking conferences that don't make sense. A P5 split will be more of the same. Ruining what makes college football fun to watch.
02-22-2019 12:19 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(02-22-2019 12:02 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I believe these secondary pro leagues are worth keeping an eye on. If one of them takes hold, it could really change the game. Why would you go to Bama/Ohio State/ND when you could get cash right out of High School?

The secondary leagues that want to survive play nice with the big boys, i.e. 3-year rule before eligibility won't go away.
02-22-2019 12:20 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(02-22-2019 12:20 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  

The secondary leagues that want to survive play nice with the big boys, i.e. 3-year rule before eligibility won't go away.

Nah the xfl is going to kill it. The fact that kids will be able to play right out of high school is going to be a huge boone that people are over looking. Plus they will be playing in the summer so the nfl wont care because there won’t be any competition.

Colleges can complain all they want but they have no power over a pro league.

02-22-2019 12:22 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(02-22-2019 12:22 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 12:20 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  

Nah the xfl is going to kill it. The fact that kids will be able to play right out of high school is going to be a huge boone that people are over looking. Plus they will be playing in the summer so the nfl wont care because there won’t be any competition.

Colleges can complain all they want but they have no power over a pro league.

[Image: giphy.gif]
02-22-2019 12:43 PM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
[quote='Westhoff123' pid='15923021' dateline='1550853596']

When will this ever stop?01-lauramac2
02-27-2019 09:30 AM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(02-27-2019 09:30 AM)HoustonCougarNation Wrote:  [quote='Westhoff123' pid='15923021' dateline='1550853596']

When will this ever stop?01-lauramac2

When you don't bump a thread that promptly died a week ago.
02-27-2019 09:48 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(02-22-2019 11:47 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The author expresses my long held view that the Kansas and Wake Forests of the P5 are not safe from exclusion in the next realignment bout.
Kansas's academic profile and BB pedigree ensure they will not be left out of any realignment. They are more likely to get a B1G invite than be left out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using CSNbbs mobile app
02-27-2019 01:19 PM
bearcat29 Offline

(02-27-2019 01:19 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 11:47 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The author expresses my long held view that the Kansas and Wake Forests of the P5 are not safe from exclusion in the next realignment bout.
Kansas's academic profile and BB pedigree ensure they will not be left out of any realignment. They are more likely to get a B1G invite than be left out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using CSNbbs mobile app
I wouldn't think so, but there is a reason they are spending money on facilities and coaches in football. They are scared of being left behind.
02-27-2019 02:43 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF

Lets just have 10 teams play college football. Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, Ohio, Clemson, USC, Oregon, Georgia, and Florida.

Fvck everyone else. Greed is Good.

Or we could just have one game per season.
Clemson VS Bama.

That is all we need.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2019 02:51 PM by No Bull.)
02-27-2019 02:49 PM
Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
The P-5 break away is a non-starter. Football is a zero sum game. They would be playing each other and just beating up on each other. The top few teams would fine, but teams that are perennial 5-8 win teams would be perennial 2-5 win teams. Their fans would then be less interested, give less money and watch less. You wouldn't just have one or two Kansas or Rutgers, but three to five of them per conference. It would hurt the overall interest. Coaches wouldn't be for it either. You think those mid level P5 coaches want jobs where they don't have the 3 rent-a-wins or games against teams with less talent. Their jobs would be even less stable. Again, a 60-70 team P5 league would just make too many of them perennially mediocre or Kansaesque.

The reason a small league works for the NFL is profit sharing, the draft, and free agency. It takes all three of those, (none of which the colleges have) to make work just OK.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2019 03:04 PM by Poseidon.)
02-27-2019 03:02 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-27-2019 02:49 PM)No Bull Wrote:  

Lets just have 10 teams play college football. Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, Ohio, Clemson, USC, Oregon, Georgia, and Florida.

Fvck everyone else. Greed is Good.

Or we could just have one game per season.
Clemson VS Bama.

That is all we need.

Expand up to 24-32 teams and there are a lot people over on the Conference Realignment board who are down with that.

As pointed out by the last post, this model won't work for CFB. Washington State fans won't suddenly start rooting for Washington. Iowa State fans won't suddenly make the trek to Iowa City to watch the Hawkeyes.

The usual whipping boys in this these contraction theories is that programs like Wake, Northwestern and Vandy will get dumped. These guys will be the last to get dumped. As private institutions, they are protected from handing over requests from the state and the media-- they can do all the dirty work for a conference behind closed doors.
02-27-2019 03:27 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
we gone
02-27-2019 03:34 PM
bearcat29 Offline

(02-27-2019 03:02 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  The P-5 break away is a non-starter. Football is a zero sum game. They would be playing each other and just beating up on each other. The top few teams would fine, but teams that are perennial 5-8 win teams would be perennial 2-5 win teams. Their fans would then be less interested, give less money and watch less. You wouldn't just have one or two Kansas or Rutgers, but three to five of them per conference. It would hurt the overall interest. Coaches wouldn't be for it either. You think those mid level P5 coaches want jobs where they don't have the 3 rent-a-wins or games against teams with less talent. Their jobs would be even less stable. Again, a 60-70 team P5 league would just make too many of them perennially mediocre or Kansaesque.

The reason a small league works for the NFL is profit sharing, the draft, and free agency. It takes all three of those, (none of which the colleges have) to make work just OK.
I don't quite get this argument. They will still play 3 maybe 4 G4 schools a season and give them a good payday (They play D2 schools now). They just won't have to share the bowl games and playoff money with them. No more UCF or UC (back in the B.E. days) messing with the national title picture.

Unless there is a kind of a spending cap like MLB, NFL etc. a split will likely happen. Everyone is too worried about putting themselves in the best position for the next wave of changes. The game will suffer.
02-27-2019 03:43 PM
Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(02-27-2019 03:43 PM)bearcat29 Wrote:  
(02-27-2019 03:02 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  The P-5 break away is a non-starter. Football is a zero sum game. They would be playing each other and just beating up on each other. The top few teams would fine, but teams that are perennial 5-8 win teams would be perennial 2-5 win teams. Their fans would then be less interested, give less money and watch less. You wouldn't just have one or two Kansas or Rutgers, but three to five of them per conference. It would hurt the overall interest. Coaches wouldn't be for it either. You think those mid level P5 coaches want jobs where they don't have the 3 rent-a-wins or games against teams with less talent. Their jobs would be even less stable. Again, a 60-70 team P5 league would just make too many of them perennially mediocre or Kansaesque.

I don't quite get this argument. They will still play 3 maybe 4 G4 schools a season and give them a good payday (They play D2 schools now). They just won't have to share the bowl games and playoff money with them. No more UCF or UC (back in the B.E. days) messing with the national title picture.

Unless there is a kind of a spending cap like MLB, NFL etc. a split will likely happen. Everyone is too worried about putting themselves in the best position for the next wave of changes. The game will suffer.

I don't think its clear that they would continue to play non P5 schools
. At the moment there is as much or more of a push to stop playing FCS and G5 schools from the schools vying for playoff spots. The scrutiny of the schedule will only intensify if the playoff expands. The Big Ten and Big XII already play 9 conference games. Strength of schedule wars will gets them to 11 P5 games fairly quickly. The rest of the conferences will eventually follow suit. Any teams(besides Alabama) who didn't would be called out rather quickly.
02-27-2019 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.