http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...h-pj-fleck
02-19-2019 11:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Jerry Kill, "Fleck about himself"
(02-19-2019 11:53 PM)WMU2013 Wrote:  Coach Kill had some nasty things to say about PJ

Nasty? What specifically?
02-19-2019 11:58 PM
WMU2013 Online
All American

I Root For: WMU
(02-19-2019 11:58 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 11:53 PM)WMU2013 Wrote:  Coach Kill had some nasty things to say about PJ

I think Jerry comments were outrageous. He is a putrid coach himself.
02-20-2019 12:18 AM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

So he's saying PJ's built up a huge ego and only cares about PJ? What a shocker! Who cares.
02-20-2019 03:17 AM
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
Frankly, not a lot different than quite a few members of the college coaching fraternity.
02-20-2019 06:48 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(02-20-2019 12:18 AM)WMU2013 Wrote:  

I think Jerry comments were outrageous. He is a putrid coach himself.

Specifically what was outrageous?
02-20-2019 06:52 AM
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

Kill sounds like a jealous 7th grade girl.
02-20-2019 07:42 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(02-20-2019 07:42 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  Kill sounds like a jealous 7th grade girl.

Because he's sticking up for his coaches when he believes they were treated poorly?
02-20-2019 07:59 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
Sigh.

Loved what Fleck was able to accomplish in Kalamazoo (results, results, results), but pleased he is now in Minneapolis.

No longer a WMU issue one way or another.
02-20-2019 08:13 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

It takes a lot for a head coach to dump on one of his up and coming former assistants, but clearly he was embittered by how everything was handled, especially one of his other assistants getting dumped after a historically-great season for Minnesota, their second best since 1960! That said, Minnesota sure did have some big problems. However, Fleck doesn't help himself by trashing the guys that came before him; you can break down and build up without doing that.
02-20-2019 09:13 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Sounds like a good judge of character.
02-20-2019 09:18 AM
Advertisement

Aimless1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU Bronos
(02-20-2019 08:13 AM)GullLake Wrote:  Sigh.

Loved what Fleck was able to accomplish in Kalamazoo (results, results, results), but pleased he is now in Minneapolis.

No longer a WMU issue one way or another.

^^^ this

Fleck is and always will be narcissistic. If a situation requires tact or grace that would be beyond him.
02-20-2019 09:22 AM
Rasser Offline
Banned

I Root For: World peas
Have to remember how Fleck talked Kill’s health down during recruiting, along with Fleck’s excuse shopping and saying how bad things were once Fleck got to rodentville.
02-20-2019 09:33 AM
WMU2013 Online
All American

(02-20-2019 09:33 AM)Rasser Wrote:  Have to remember how Fleck talked Kill’s health down during recruiting, along with Fleck’s excuse shopping and saying how bad things were once Fleck got to rodentville.

Wow? Did he really bash Kill's health? That's embarrassing And a low blow.
02-20-2019 09:37 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Minnesota's "problems" in 2016 were overblown.

Of the ten players accused in the Title IX investigation, five were exonerated (three played for Fleck) and none were criminally charged.

Claeys was fired in large part because he supported his players when they threatened to boycott practices for their bowl game.

That team was 9-4. Fleck was not taking over at Illinois or Rutgers.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019 10:38 AM by MajorHoople.)
02-20-2019 09:46 AM
PezKingGL1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wmu
Sounds like it was taken verbatim from this board after the Cubit/Fleck transition.
02-20-2019 10:51 AM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
Kill has had a beef with Minnesota's administration since Claeys was fired. Claeys was victimized by political correctness, after having done a pretty good job in his time as HC. Kill might have also sensed that Minnesota used the situation to oust Claeys, in order to get Fleck in. So there were likely some already established levels of angst towards Fleck, as I doubt Fleck consulted with Kill before he met with Minnesota. Then, after being hired, Fleck publicly criticizes the "culture" of the program. I understand why Kill would take some offense to that, but on the other hand there certainly had to be some underlying issues, as things weren't handled well prior to their bowl game that year. I suspect more of the criticism should have been directed towards the school, and players, rather than the coaches, but Fleck did not specifically disparage the coaches, but rather "the culture". Fleck bringing in his own guys, rather than keeping many of the coaches that were already on the Minnesota staff, and doing well, was probably stupid, but not too uncommon, and Kill is perhaps overly butt-hurt on that one.

Fleck is certainly a different breed, and I dont know that his message or mantra gets received as well in a generally more primadonna-like P5 "culture" )particularly after a solid and successful season before his arrival) than it did years before at WMU, where folks were more primed for significant change.

I would take Fleck back, or someone just like him, in and instant. He inspired players, administrators, coaches, boosters, fans, students, and all but a few who prematurely predicted (and rooted for) his failure as coach. He was able to use some basic leadership skills to get the entire organization to go all in, all the time, with consistent effort, with the same goals from start to finish, through the lean times and until achievement of those goals. We reached pinnacles never thought reachable on the field, and still had good character kids, and solid students, in the locker room. Was he narcissistic and ego driven? I think so. Are most successful college and pro football coaches? I think so.

I would bet everything I own that if Fleck and his coaches had coached WMU the last two years, both seasons would have been FAR FAR more successful. What made Fleck successful at WMU is lacking in Lester.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019 11:06 AM by brovol.)
02-20-2019 11:01 AM
fastbuicks Offline
Special Teams

Fleck has used his so-called friendship with Jerry Kill going back to his 2013 hire at WMU. Sounds like Kill has a different version. Fleck is all about himself, anyone not seeing that in two seconds is ignorant. Fleck even claimed to the Minny press days after he was hired to be a "Kill" guy. Typical Fleck riding a wave that doesn't exist.
02-20-2019 12:06 PM
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
(02-20-2019 11:01 AM)brovol Wrote:  Kill has had a beef with Minnesota's administration since Claeys was fired. Claeys was victimized by political correctness, after having done a pretty good job in his time as HC. Kill might have also sensed that Minnesota used the situation to oust Claeys, in order to get Fleck in. So there were likely some already established levels of angst towards Fleck, as I doubt Fleck consulted with Kill before he met with Minnesota. Then, after being hired, Fleck publicly criticizes the "culture" of the program. I understand why Kill would take some offense to that, but on the other hand there certainly had to be some underlying issues, as things weren't handled well prior to their bowl game that year. I suspect more of the criticism should have been directed towards the school, and players, rather than the coaches, but Fleck did not specifically disparage the coaches, but rather "the culture". Fleck bringing in his own guys, rather than keeping many of the coaches that were already on the Minnesota staff, and doing well, was probably stupid, but not too uncommon, and Kill is perhaps overly butt-hurt on that one.

Fleck is certainly a different breed, and I dont know that his message or mantra gets received as well in a generally more primadonna-like P5 "culture" )particularly after a solid and successful season before his arrival) than it did years before at WMU, where folks were more primed for significant change.

I would take Fleck back, or someone just like him, in and instant. He inspired players, administrators, coaches, boosters, fans, students, and all but a few who prematurely predicted (and rooted for) his failure as coach. He was able to use some basic leadership skills to get the entire organization to go all in, all the time, with consistent effort, with the same goals from start to finish, through the lean times and until achievement of those goals. We reached pinnacles never thought reachable on the field, and still had good character kids, and solid students, in the locker room. Was he narcissistic and ego driven? I think so. Are most successful college and pro football coaches? I think so.

I would bet everything I own that if Fleck and his coaches had coached WMU the last two years, both seasons would have been FAR FAR more successful. What made Fleck successful at WMU is lacking in Lester.

Well said Brovol.
02-20-2019 12:08 PM
fastbuicks Offline
Special Teams

(02-20-2019 11:01 AM)brovol Wrote:  . What made Fleck successful at WMU is lacking in Lester.

Like maybe a four year QB, NFL first round WR, two other senior WRs, 6-7 other NFL picks or camp invites? Took Fleck four years to build that. Lester hasn't had a healthy QB for a full season, lost both CBs to NFL last year. He probably is second guessing some plays he called first two seasons but it's a Apples to Oranges comparison. The calls to oust Fleck went from 2013-2015 for many. Even when Fleck got to 7-5 the doubters were very loud. Seems like same people same noise.
02-20-2019 12:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.