Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Two cigarette stories of note
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Two cigarette stories of note
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man...ce-n967241

First, a Texas man died after an e-cigarette exploded in front of his face. And the most incredible part of that story is that it's the second time something like that has happened!

http://fortune.com/2019/02/05/hawaii-smoking-age-100/

The second story is rather amusing. A Hawaii legislator wants to raise the official smoking age in that state to 100. It won't pass but I'd say that it's not the best time to be investing in tobacco stocks.
02-05-2019 05:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: Two cigarette stories of note
(02-05-2019 05:34 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man...ce-n967241

First, a Texas man died after an e-cigarette exploded in front of his face. And the most incredible part of that story is that it's the second time something like that has happened!

The second story is rather amusing. A Hawaii legislator wants to raise the official smoking age in that state to 100. It won't pass but I'd say that it's not the best time to be investing in tobacco stocks.

I just heard that on the radio this morning. They were going to increase the age to 30, then 40, etc. I wonder if he has relatives in the e-cigarette industry. Or cigars - they said cigars didn't count.
02-05-2019 05:39 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
NM is looking at holding e-cigarettes to the same standards as traditional ones when it come to using them in a restaurant.
02-05-2019 07:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Altria (MO) is jumping into the cannabis market, buying a large stake in a Canadian company and also has acquired 35% of JUUL (pending approval). That's their play on survival as they expect cigarette use to decline 4-5% a year going forward.

If we ever get to universal weed legalization (which I'm not a fan of) they could be positioned to make a lot of money.
02-05-2019 09:17 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(02-05-2019 05:34 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man...ce-n967241

Virginia just raised the age to 21, assuming Governor Grand Wizard signs it.

Now that democrats are in power in more states, expect the nanny state to start running wild. I'm not a fan of cigarettes, but adults can make their own decisions.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019 08:58 AM by EverRespect.)
02-06-2019 08:56 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND

Why don't they just switch to smoking pot.

We all know the nanny staters LOVE them some mari-ju-wanna, no way they would crack down on someone wanting a joint.
02-06-2019 09:30 AM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(02-05-2019 09:17 PM)banker Wrote:  Altria (MO) is jumping into the cannabis market, buying a large stake in a Canadian company and also has acquired 35% of JUUL (pending approval). That's their play on survival as they expect cigarette use to decline 4-5% a year going forward.

If we ever get to universal weed legalization (which I'm not a fan of) they could be positioned to make a lot of money.

Why are you not a fan of legalization of marijuana? Is this solely recreational or medicinal use as well? For the record, I am 100% for it.
02-06-2019 11:10 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(02-05-2019 05:34 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://fortune.com/2019/02/05/hawaii-smoking-age-100/

Paraphrased for increased accuracy: Hawaii considers creating the largest black market for tobacco products in North America.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
02-06-2019 11:14 AM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(02-06-2019 11:10 AM)BuffaloTN Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 09:17 PM)banker Wrote:  Altria (MO) is jumping into the cannabis market, buying a large stake in a Canadian company and also has acquired 35% of JUUL (pending approval). That's their play on survival as they expect cigarette use to decline 4-5% a year going forward.

Why are you not a fan of legalization of marijuana? Is this solely recreational or medicinal use as well? For the record, I am 100% for it.

I have no issue with the medical legalization, which creates the trap. If you believe it has medical value it is, by definition to me, a drug. Recreational use of drugs is a bad idea.

I have watched too many teenagers with promise turn into nothings when the harmless, occasional joint became the smoke every day habit. They aren't dangerous, they don't cause more issues than alcoholics, but they do become a drain on society. I believe removing the stigma from use through legalization will encourage more people to try it and create more heavy users.

I realize there are differing opinions, but that's mine.
02-06-2019 11:50 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-06-2019 11:14 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 05:34 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  http://fortune.com/2019/02/05/hawaii-smoking-age-100/

Paraphrased for increased accuracy: Hawaii considers creating the largest black market for tobacco products in North America.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
These idiotic leftists come up with all of these ideas to get rid of things (cigarettes, fossil fuels etc.) and aren't smart enough to realize their governments function from the taxes collected from these things.
02-06-2019 11:54 AM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(02-06-2019 11:50 AM)banker Wrote:  

I have no issue with the medical legalization, which creates the trap. If you believe it has medical value it is, by definition to me, a drug. Recreational use of drugs is a bad idea.

I have watched too many teenagers with promise turn into nothings when the harmless, occasional joint became the smoke every day habit. They aren't dangerous, they don't cause more issues than alcoholics, but they do become a drain on society. I believe removing the stigma from use through legalization will encourage more people to try it and create more heavy users.

Completely agree.

I do find it funny that on one hand the the Pro-Pot crowd espouses the "medical value" of pot while at the same time supporting making it as hard as possible to get oxycodone, something that ALSO has medical value.

I've known plenty of drunks and stoners in my life. The drunks seemed capable of functioning in everyday life (albeit a bit cloudy sometimes) while the stoners like the movie, Dazed and Confused.

Seems to me that if you think government should stay out of the way of people using pot for "medical purposes" they should get out out of "making it difficult" program is I want a script of oxy.
02-06-2019 12:13 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-06-2019 12:13 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  

Completely agree.

I do find it funny that on one hand the the Pro-Pot crowd espouses the "medical value" of pot while at the same time supporting making it as hard as possible to get oxycodone, something that ALSO has medical value.

I've known plenty of drunks and stoners in my life. The drunks seemed capable of functioning in everyday life (albeit a bit cloudy sometimes) while the stoners like the movie, Dazed and Confused.

Seems to me that if you think government should stay out of the way of people using pot for "medical purposes" they should get out out of "making it difficult" program is I want a script of oxy.

I could be wrong but I believe oxycodone is labelled as highly addictive, one of the issues with the opioid epidemic, and that's why they're trying to limit the use.
02-06-2019 12:28 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

(02-06-2019 12:28 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Completely agree.

I could be wrong but I believe oxycodone is labelled as highly addictive, one of the issues with the opioid epidemic, and that's why they're trying to limit the use.

Yes, it is highly addictive, as are many things currently on the market (nicotine, alcohol, sugar...)

I'm not against legalizing pot for medical purposes. I wouldn't be against legalizing it and taxing the hell out of it.

My stance is that if using pot is a "medical decision" made between you and your doctor, opioids should be treated the same way.
02-06-2019 12:46 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-06-2019 12:46 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 12:28 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 11:10 AM)BuffaloTN Wrote:  Why are you not a fan of legalization of marijuana? Is this solely recreational or medicinal use as well? For the record, I am 100% for it.

Completely agree.

Yes, it is highly addictive, as are many things currently on the market (nicotine, alcohol, sugar...)

I'm not against legalizing pot for medical purposes. I wouldn't be against legalizing it and taxing the hell out of it.

My stance is that if using pot is a "medical decision" made between you and your doctor, opioids should be treated the same way.

Fair enough. I have not tried to get any paid medication other than a muscle relaxer once and my doctor said he didn't want to give me the real strong stuff because people got addicted to it - and this was well before the opioid crisis became big news so doctors must have been aware of the issue for some time.
02-06-2019 02:00 PM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
So I take this to be a two part issue. One part being that if you want to waste your life away being a stoner that's too bad, but an independent choice you can make and one the government has no business to be in. Regulate it no different than alcohol for safety of minors and for society in general. It's safer than alcohol in my opinion and if you want a spliff, a bowl, or an edible to wind down at the end of the day there is nothing wrong with that.

The second part is the immense medicinal research and breakthrough opportunities that we have barely been scratched the surface on. Mainly because it has been classified as a schedule 1 drug by our government and so was not even really able to be researched. The endocannabinoid system was only discovered in the late 1980's early 1990's The cannabinoids found in the various marijuana and hemp varieties number in the 100's and each work directly with our endocannabinoid system. These all will be researched and all those discoveries will benefit us greatly. More specifically and bluntly - it's not just THC. That is just the boogieman because it gets you "high". There is THCA, CBD, CBDA, CBD and so on - over a hundred of them - they have all just recently been discovered and we really don't have a clue how they can help us yet.

I think it is a fascinating time and glad the stigma that the "reefer madness" folks tried to fool us with is coming to light. From a political standpoint the Republicans better get out in front of this one fast because it's going to be legal across the globe and the Dems will try their best to take credit for it when they have sat on their hands the whole time as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019 02:26 PM by BuffaloTN.)
02-06-2019 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.