ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Student Booster Club
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Student Booster Club
I know we have discussed this before, but I don't think there was ever an answer to the question of ....Why doesn't the ODU Monarchs have a Student Booster Club? ECU has a Student Pirate Club. They are in the process of selecting an Executive Board for next year.
https://scontent.forf1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v...e=5CC8135E
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019 07:07 PM by Mr.BigBlue.)
01-23-2019 07:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: Student Booster Club
(01-23-2019 07:04 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I know we have discussed this before, but I don't think there was ever an answer to the question of ....Why doesn't the ODU Monarchs have a Student Booster Club? ECU has a Student Pirate Club. They are in the process of selecting an Executive Board for next year.
https://scontent.forf1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v...e=5CC8135E

ODAF took Monarch Maniacs over from the Student Activities Council in 2012, instantly made it worse (I was a dues paying member at the time) and outright killed it a couple of years later.

I think that's all we got in the last time this topic came out.

Related: I'm currently wearing an old Monarch Maniacs shirt.

(01-23-2019 09:33 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  This is on the radar of some of the ODAF reps I have chatted with since they are realizing today's students are tomorrow's donors.

From personal experience, they are doing a terrible job at this currently.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2019 09:45 PM by devyanks90.)
01-23-2019 09:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Having nothing is literally as bad as it gets. They couldn't be doing a worse job. I still have my Monarch Maniacs shirt from 20 years ago. I still have several Midnight Madness T-shirts too. Things like that get people engaged, build pride and result in ticket buyers and donors down the road. I do worry about what ODUs donor pool is going to look like in 20-30 years when most of us are gone or retired and unable to give and attend.
01-24-2019 10:56 AM
MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

Biggest problem facing ODAF based on current student body trends.
Major problem. Might seem long term but it's really an issue with immediate impact.

Also, why doesn't ODU seat the ROTC students at games in their own section of the student section? Especially FBALL games.
Brings attention and prestige to their programs - puts a highlight on them.
Brings more students to games.
Establishes more tradition.
Seems like a no brainer.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 12:53 PM by MonarchsWon.)
01-24-2019 12:50 PM
Advertisement

MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
Dr. Chandler, I remember during my time as a cheerleader there was a meeting with members of the spirit squad and students that were taking a class (I can't remember off the top of my head which class it was) and yourself where we discussed bringing the Monarch Maniacs back in some capacity. There were some good ideas that came out of the few meetings I had attended, but at one point they stopped. Is this something that can be brought up again? I can't recall if it was the students who started these meetings based off a class project or what, but I think it would be great if these started up again. I know you are most likely tremendously busy but if some branch of leadership could take it and run with it in the same capacity as those meetings I had attended I think it would be beneficial. The students seemed engaged and so were the members of the spirit squad. You could always reach out to alum to discuss old chants and traditions or previous Monarch Maniac captains for insight into some of the things they used to do. I am too busy with my day job to do any full time help but I would be more than willing to discuss chants/traditions/ideas that happened when I was in the Maniacs and during my time as a cheerleader, whether they become re-adopted or not.

At the end of the day though, as many of us have said on this board, it has to start from the heart of the students. But some organization and leadership can start the train, and others will follow
01-24-2019 12:56 PM
Punk Offline
1st String

(01-24-2019 12:56 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Dr. Chandler, I remember during my time as a cheerleader there was a meeting with members of the spirit squad and students that were taking a class (I can't remember off the top of my head which class it was) and yourself where we discussed bringing the Monarch Maniacs back in some capacity. There were some good ideas that came out of the few meetings I had attended, but at one point they stopped. Is this something that can be brought up again? I can't recall if it was the students who started these meetings based off a class project or what, but I think it would be great if these started up again. I know you are most likely tremendously busy but if some branch of leadership could take it and run with it in the same capacity as those meetings I had attended I think it would be beneficial. The students seemed engaged and so were the members of the spirit squad. You could always reach out to alum to discuss old chants and traditions or previous Monarch Maniac captains for insight into some of the things they used to do. I am too busy with my day job to do any full time help but I would be more than willing to discuss chants/traditions/ideas that happened when I was in the Maniacs and during my time as a cheerleader, whether they become re-adopted or not.

At the end of the day though, as many of us have said on this board, it has to start from the heart of the students. But some organization and leadership can start the train, and others will follow

You should probably e-mail this to him, he's usually pretty quick to respond.

jichandl@odu.edu
01-24-2019 01:05 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

What does the administration have against the monarch maniacs? It seems like it was pretty popular at least on these boards. Does it cost too much money to do it? Use too many resources? Was the participation bad and only a few people really took to it?
01-24-2019 01:07 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I would actually donate money specifically to the Monarch Maniacs program if that is the issue. Im not rich, but if a bunch of us did it, we could probably raise enough annually for some T-shirts, prizes and snacks. My Monarch Maniacs shirt had sponsors printed on the back.
01-24-2019 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.