Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Winning Our Bowl Game
Bookmark and Share
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
Winning Our Bowl Game
I am one who believes UC ending the season with a bowl win is very important.

In my early UC “life” even the thought of UC playing in a bowl game was a dream. I remember when Goin pulled strings to get us into the Humanitarian bowl in Boise, Idaho. My wife and I went to a sports bar to be able to watch it. I had to request the game on one of their screens.

In my older age UC playing in the Orange and Sugar bowls was a wildest dream come true. Losing both was painful.

Today we can bask in a bowl game win. Our guys played their hearts out and won. Let that sink in - we won. I rate that game right up there with the Pitt game.

Gang, until we get a P5 revenue stream we are not going to be able to beat Alabama or Clemson.

However, we can end our season with a win. IMO football is unique in a team like ours being able to end the season on a feel good high. Our basketball team cannot do this unless we win the national championship.

So, I am loving every thought of our win. From my early days we have come so far.

Yesterday’s game was not an exhibition game. It was not the reincarnation of Tommy Tuberville. Yesterday’s win was a validation of UC and our ability to excel beyond our financial limitations.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019 06:33 PM by Bcatbog.)
01-01-2019 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Winning Our Bowl Game
(01-01-2019 06:22 PM)Bcatbog Wrote:  It was not the reincarnation of Tommy Tuberville.

If anything, it was the final exorcism of "he who shall not be named."

01-01-2019 06:25 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(01-01-2019 06:25 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 06:22 PM)Bcatbog Wrote:  It was not the reincarnation of Tommy Tuberville.

Yes. Yes indeed.

It also ended losing three consecutive bowls not to mention achieving our program's 11th win. That is pretty sweet man.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019 08:06 PM by UCGrad1992.)
01-01-2019 07:56 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(01-01-2019 06:25 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Although to be totally fair, the core of this year's team were his recruits. So even if he and his staff couldn't coach them worth a damn, at least in the end it looks like they were able to bring in some fine players.

01-02-2019 07:25 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Still a lot of TT recruits around next year: Ridder, Doaks, Degura, Geddis, Mbodj, Rollins, Jakari Robinson, Morgan James, Perry Young, Bryan Wright and others.

Of course, this staff has done a great job developing these guys.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019 07:33 AM by CliftonAve.)
01-02-2019 07:33 AM
Advertisement

Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
For me, I enjoy the thought of my opponent's fans despair in the midst of our elation.

I'm picturing VT guy in his living room falling to his knees and screaming WHY !?!?!?!?!? as Warren was plowing across the goal line.

... much like I envisioned all the little Dukies crapping themselves as Kelce was blowing past their secondary for the go ahead TD in the Belk bowl and all the Pitt fans blowing a gasket as Binns pulled in the game winner.

But that's just me...

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019 08:04 AM by Def Berkkat.)
01-02-2019 08:03 AM
RuckleSt Online
All American

(01-02-2019 08:03 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  For me, I enjoy the thought of my opponent's fans despair in the midst of our elation.

I'm picturing VT guy in his living room falling to his knees and screaming WHY !?!?!?!?!? as Warren was plowing across the goal line.

... much like I envisioned all the little Dukies crapping themselves as Kelce was blowing past their secondary for the go ahead TD in the Belk bowl and all the Pitt fans blowing a gasket as Binns pulled in the game winner.

But that's just me...

Ha, just a little schadenfreude

01-02-2019 08:12 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-02-2019 08:03 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  For me, I enjoy the thought of my opponent's fans despair in the midst of our elation.

But that's just me...

I went in Tech’s 247 site and observed they were in total meltdown mode. The site must not be moderated because posts were like “eff you”, with responses of “no, eff you” (the words were spelled out).

01-02-2019 08:15 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

(01-02-2019 08:15 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

But that's just me...

I went in Tech’s 247 site and observed they were in total meltdown mode. The site must not be moderated because posts were like “eff you”, with responses of “no, eff you” (the words were spelled out).

SWEET!

That's what sports fandom is all about.

01-02-2019 08:17 AM
Advertisement

JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats

But that's just me...

I took great pleasure in seeing the fat blowhard in the VT jersey who was sitting near me and being obnoxious the entire game, immediately bolt for the exits as soon as Wiggins made the interception. Sweet justice.

01-02-2019 08:51 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

(01-02-2019 08:51 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

But that's just me...

I took great pleasure in seeing the fat blowhard in the VT jersey who was sitting near me and being obnoxious the entire game, immediately bolt for the exits as soon as Wiggins made the interception. Sweet justice.

Did he have a extremely loud whistle? Some Hokie had a shrill whistle that could be heard on the broadcast.

01-02-2019 09:05 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS

But that's just me...

Similar has happened to me at Pitt. I endure 59minutes of crap until the Binns catch when I turned they were gone.

01-02-2019 09:09 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Still happy as heck we beat VT.

01-02-2019 11:02 AM
Advertisement

Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(01-01-2019 06:22 PM)Bcatbog Wrote:  I am one who believes UC ending the season with a bowl win is very important.

In my early UC “life” even the thought of UC playing in a bowl game was a dream. I remember when Goin pulled strings to get us into the Humanitarian bowl in Boise, Idaho. My wife and I went to a sports bar to be able to watch it. I had to request the game on one of their screens.

In my older age UC playing in the Orange and Sugar bowls was a wildest dream come true. Losing both was painful.

Today we can bask in a bowl game win. Our guys played their hearts out and won. Let that sink in - we won. I rate that game right up there with the Pitt game.

Gang, until we get a P5 revenue stream we are not going to be able to beat Alabama or Clemson.

However, we can end our season with a win. IMO football is unique in a team like ours being able to end the season on a feel good high. Our basketball team cannot do this unless we win the national championship.

So, I am loving every thought of our win. From my early days we have come so far.

Yesterday’s game was not an exhibition game. It was not the reincarnation of Tommy Tuberville. Yesterday’s win was a validation of UC and our ability to excel beyond our financial limitations.

Seems we have walked in very similar shoes. Great post!

01-02-2019 11:28 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2019 11:02 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Still happy as heck we beat VT.

Yup! 02-13-banana

01-02-2019 11:29 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators

But that's just me...

The Va Tech fans I ran into during the game seemed realistic about their team. Except two drunk 20-somethings that screamed, swore, and even made a couple threatening remarks to UC fans during the first half. Right before halftime, I told the one clown "that's enough - no more nasty comments." Another UC guy told them he was getting the police. Of course they never returned for the 2nd half.

But as I mentioned in another thread, the real fun was the constant whining from Hokie fans back in the hotel. Perry Young's father and I met and we both had a good laugh at their crying.

01-02-2019 11:39 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
I don't have cable TV, so I never watch ESPN. I couldn't care less about the "who has the best TV ratings" farce known as the College Football Playoff. To me, bowl games are just as important as they ever were... especially for UC in our current situation, where most P5 programs refuse to play us unless they are forced to in the postseason.

01-02-2019 11:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(01-02-2019 11:39 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  

But that's just me...

The Va Tech fans I ran into during the game seemed realistic about their team. Except two drunk 20-somethings that screamed, swore, and even made a couple threatening remarks to UC fans during the first half. Right before halftime, I told the one clown "that's enough - no more nasty comments." Another UC guy told them he was getting the police. Of course they never returned for the 2nd half.

But as I mentioned in another thread, the real fun was the constant whining from Hokie fans back in the hotel. Perry Young's father and I met and we both had a good laugh at their crying.

I was fortunate in that all the VT fans I came into contact with were gracious, much like my experience when I went to VT and met you for the 1st time Rag.

01-02-2019 03:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.