Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East/MSG Announce Extension
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Big East/MSG Announce Extension
http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/12/09/big-e...ournament/

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college...241068002/

The guaranteed deal will run through 2028. As many on here were aware, there was not only an opt-out clause after 2022, but both the B1G and ACC have been pushing hard to somehow insert their respective tournaments into NYC and MSG. This new deal will solidify the Big East’s role as the central college basketball partner with the Garden for another ten years. If either the B1G or ACC wish to hold their tournament at the Garden, they will need to be creative and hold it a week before the Big East does, a path that the B1G absolutely did not favor last year due to the necessity of starting their conference play earlier.

The biggest advantage that the Big East had in negotiations was that the league averaged 18k fans last year, more than 3,500 than the B1G in the same building. Despite Northeast expansions from the B1G (Rutgers/Maryland) and the ACC (Syracuse/Pittsburgh/Notre Dame), the Big East was able to box both leagues out and establish itself as the premier basketball conference in the region. Today is a great accomplishment for the league, as the conference continually has itself in the cross-hairs of the the B1G and ACC for its tournament success.

The other added point of emphasis is that Val Ackerman is - without question - the most underrated major conference commissioner in college athletics. She once again helped secure an elite asset for the league in a long-term deal, and immediately began negotiations after Delaney's comments expressing interest in having the B1G having its tournament at MSG during tournament week.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2018 10:54 AM by GoldenWarrior11.)
12-09-2018 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
RE: Big East/MSG Announce Extension
That's about right. I figured the Big East's ability to sell out the arena coupled with their commitment to play there every year would make them the eventual winners here. MSG likely considers itself above having to be part of anyone's rotation as much as anything else.
12-09-2018 12:21 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Delany ran his big mouth a little early on that one.
12-09-2018 12:29 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Good for the Big East.
12-09-2018 12:38 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-09-2018 12:21 PM)Bogg Wrote:  That's about right. I figured the Big East's ability to sell out the arena coupled with their commitment to play there every year would make them the eventual winners here. MSG likely considers itself above having to be part of anyone's rotation as much as anything else.

THIS.

The Big East has done an excellent job of getting fans to show up consistently there—plus they have a pretty long track record of doing it—common sense says that had to count for something. 04-cheers
12-09-2018 12:41 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-09-2018 10:49 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/12/09/big-e...ournament/

The guaranteed deal will run through 2028. As many on here were aware, there was not only an opt-out clause after 2022, but both the B1G and ACC have been pushing hard to somehow insert their respective tournaments into NYC and MSG.

B-b-b-b-b-but ... I've been told by many around here that the Big East isn't regarded as Big Time and that the ACC and B1G were just about to boot us out of MSG?

So obviously this is Fake News, a troll job, right?

Big East Haters are huddled in closed conference right now frantically brainstorming how to spin this negatively. Will be fun hearing what they come up with.

03-lmfao

PS - Yes, Val Ackerman is the best. God Bless her.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2018 12:46 PM by quo vadis.)
12-09-2018 12:44 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Congrats B.E.
12-09-2018 12:57 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-09-2018 10:49 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/12/09/big-e...ournament/

The guaranteed deal will run through 2028. As many on here were aware, there was not only an opt-out clause after 2022, but both the B1G and ACC have been pushing hard to somehow insert their respective tournaments into NYC and MSG. This new deal will solidify the Big East’s role as the central college basketball partner with the Garden for another ten years. If either the B1G or ACC wish to hold their tournament at the Garden, they will need to be creative and hold it a week before the Big East does, a path that the B1G absolutely did not favor last year due to the necessity of starting their conference play earlier.

The biggest advantage that the Big East had in negotiations was that the league averaged 18k fans last year, more than 3,500 than the B1G in the same building. Despite Northeast expansions from the B1G (Rutgers/Maryland) and the ACC (Syracuse/Pittsburgh/Notre Dame), the Big East was able to box both leagues out and establish itself as the premier basketball conference in the region. Today is a great accomplishment for the league, as the conference continually has itself in the cross-hairs of the the B1G and ACC for its tournament success.

The other added point of emphasis is that Val Ackerman is - without question - the most underrated major conference commissioner in college athletics. She once again helped secure an elite asset for the league in a long-term deal, and immediately began negotiations after Delaney's comments expressing interest in having the B1G having its tournament at MSG during tournament week.

Congratulations to the Big East. They have earned this extension.

Cheers,
Neil
12-09-2018 01:29 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Speaking on expansion...

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2018 03:22 PM by GoldenWarrior11.)
12-09-2018 03:20 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Has anyone in Big East power hinted at any candidates?
12-09-2018 03:25 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-09-2018 03:20 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Speaking on expansion...

lol....UConn is now on the clock.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2018 03:26 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-09-2018 03:26 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I think the UConn ship sailed. There’s no reason why they can’t be nationally successful in the American. Do you think the women’s program is going to fall off the map? Ha. Not sure why Ollie didn’t work out; he coached his butt off to win the dance his first year.

Dayton is the obvious choice. They fit the institutional profile and they have a dedicated fan base. Markets don’t matter as much as programs these days.
12-09-2018 04:06 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(12-09-2018 04:06 PM)esayem Wrote:  I think the UConn ship sailed. There’s no reason why they can’t be nationally successful in the American. Do you think the women’s program is going to fall off the map? Ha. Not sure why Ollie didn’t work out; he coached his butt off to win the dance his first year.

Dayton is the obvious choice. They fit the institutional profile and they have a dedicated fan base. Markets don’t matter as much as programs these days.

I wouldn't say the ship has sailed, but I would say it's not yet the right time for such a move. If UConn does jump to the Big East I expect it will be as part of a period of realignment in the lead-up to the middle of next decade, when a couple of media deals will be up around the same time.
12-09-2018 06:28 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
The city told MSG to move to make way for a modern Penn Station. MSG has less than 5 years on their "special operating permit." They are not negotiating with the city or filed an application to extend their permit. They are not negotiating with anybody else on a lease. Even if they were, I'm not sure they could build a new facility in the ~4 years they remaining. So it looks like MSG won't exist after 2023 anyway.
12-09-2018 06:41 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-09-2018 06:41 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  The city told MSG to move to make way for a modern Penn Station. MSG has less than 5 years on their "special operating permit." They are not negotiating with the city or filed an application to extend their permit. They are not negotiating with anybody else on a lease. Even if they were, I'm not sure they could build a new facility in the ~4 years they remaining. So it looks like MSG won't exist after 2023 anyway.

They just spent a bunch of money modernizing MSG a few years ago...makes no sense
12-09-2018 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bogg Offline
All American

Yea, Manhattan's not going to just stop having a sports arena. They may eventually build a new Garden a few blocks down, but the suit to forcibly evict MSG alone would take out past the expiration of this agreement. The people who know better than people on message boards don't seem worried.
12-09-2018 07:27 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(12-09-2018 07:27 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Yea, Manhattan's not going to just stop having a sports arena. They may eventually build a new Garden a few blocks down, but the suit to forcibly evict MSG alone would take out past the expiration of this agreement. The people who know better than people on message boards don't seem worried.

WTF. So does that mean that the extension itself is bogus? What is the Nbe going to do for a new CCG home?
12-09-2018 07:51 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-09-2018 04:06 PM)esayem Wrote:  I think the UConn ship sailed. There’s no reason why they can’t be nationally successful in the American. Do you think the women’s program is going to fall off the map? Ha. Not sure why Ollie didn’t work out; he coached his butt off to win the dance his first year.

If there’s a single non-UConn school added, I’ve always believed that it would be SLU. Whether it’s fair or not, they look at Dayton and Xavier as overlapping markets too much.
12-09-2018 08:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(12-09-2018 08:00 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

If there’s a single non-UConn school added, I’ve always believed that it would be SLU. Whether it’s fair or not, they look at Dayton and Xavier as overlapping markets too much.

What about Marquette and DePaul?

Or Seton Hall and St. John's?

Dayton's fan base is worth it.
12-09-2018 08:15 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Was that code for "give us a call UConn" Val? Surely you're not dropping a comment like that because you are chomping to get Dayton or St Louis.
12-09-2018 08:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.