Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Government Motors to fire 14,700 employees in North America
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Government Motors to fire 14,700 employees in North America
I'm so glad the taxpayers took a multi-billion dollar bath for that bailout.

I'll never buy anything from GM. Just go ahead and go out of business already.

http://www.sunjournal.com/gm-to-slash-14...h-america/
11-26-2018 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: Government Motors to fire 14,700 employees in North America
(11-26-2018 11:26 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I'm so glad the taxpayers took a multi-billion dollar bath for that bailout.

I vowed to NEVER buy anything from Government Motors again after the bailout.

Didn't like the notion of the taxpayer picking up the tab for incompetence. Didn't like the way the investors were shafted from the big sloppy kiss given to the unions.

I'd buy a foreign made car before I'd EVER own a Chevy.
11-26-2018 11:43 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Chevy makes some decent trucks (and they've created a decent marketing brand with their commercials). I owned a Buick once and it ran fine for a few years before breaking down way too much too early in its life cycle.

But yeah, we're a Toyota and Dodge family now.
11-26-2018 12:09 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-26-2018 12:09 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Chevy makes some decent trucks (and they've created a decent marketing brand with their commercials). I owned a Buick once and it ran fine for a few years before breaking down way too much too early in its life cycle.

Haven't been in many new chevys lately, but understand they are comfortable. a lot of my cousins have them and are continually trading them in ever 2-3 years. I don't know how they do it. Also never seen more than a 2x4 in the bed. Meanwhile my 2004 F150 is still going strong @ 238k and we have a 2001 F350 that approaching 700k (granted on it's second engine, but it still looks brand new)
11-26-2018 12:22 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(11-26-2018 12:09 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Chevy makes some decent trucks (and they've created a decent marketing brand with their commercials). I owned a Buick once and it ran fine for a few years before breaking down way too much too early in its life cycle.

Another reason I'll NEVER buy a Chevy.

Can't stand that hipster d-bag that does those commercials.

He's in the same category as Flo from Progressive, irritating to the point of changing the channel.
11-26-2018 12:36 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(11-26-2018 12:36 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  

He's in the same category as Flo from Progressive, irritating to the point of changing the channel.

Same here. He is as bad as that Verizon beta boy.
11-26-2018 12:42 PM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-26-2018 11:26 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I'm so glad the taxpayers took a multi-billion dollar bath for that bailout.

Reducing their unionized footprint...........
11-26-2018 01:04 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
On the car front, GM quality has been solid since the 2000s. Sure they have their issues from time to time, but there are certain models that perform quite well - Malibu for one example. I think the Equinox has a number of issues. They sure won't be the leader on quality wrt sedans and crossovers. Top 2 in my book are Toyota and Honda - probably 1 and 1A respectively. I think the GM vehicles are on par with the Hyundai/Kia/Mazda/Mitsubishi level of quality. I think Ford - overall - is like a half step above these brands and the clear cut top are Toyota and Honda. Whoever mentioned Dodge as being reliable - you must have been lucky. I'd put Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep below GM by a full step. I haven't ever seen a reliable Chrysler product out there - with the T&C minivan being the possible lone exception (never owned one though). IMHO - most vehicles today are roughly equivalent outside of Honda and Toyota if we're talking strictly sedans and crossovers.

For those who buy Mercedes/BMW/Audi - I don't know what you are getting for the added cost. None of those 3 brands give you the same reliability as a Honda or Toyota. I guess you can drive a little faster and perhaps you get real wood interior accents?
11-26-2018 01:31 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

My 2002 Chrysler Town and Country has over 314,000 miles on it and it's still going strong.
11-26-2018 01:32 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
One thing that will be interesting is that Ford, now GM and I think Chrysler (before Ford?) all gave up or is giving up on the entry level sedans. IMHO - huge mistake over the long term because those first time 'new car' buyers will most likely not even look at the Big 3 for their next vehicle.

I bought a 2017 Chevy Malibu, and I primarily did that because I owned a 2008 Malibu that was around 130K miles on it with the only major issues being replacement of 2 wheel bearings. That's not an car quality issue but a bearing manufacturing problem (probably SKF). Everything else was replacing tires, brake pads, shocks/struts (once), etc. Overall - a lot cheaper than paying a monthly car payment.
11-26-2018 01:39 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I'm driving a BMW and a VW Jetta now. Will probably trade the Beemer for a Honda when the time comes. My ex's son works for Honda credit and keeps me posted on deals. The VW is a wagon and was one of the diesels that was recalled. Got 43 highway/40 overall before, now more like 40/38. But I love it. It's my second of same model, and will probably replace it with a third when the time comes.
11-26-2018 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!

So at what point would they come out of from under your bailout bubble? Just because they took money nearly a decade ago, that means they're never allowed to trim the work force ever again? And I'd bet they would have trimmed a bit more than 15k had they not gotten that bailout.

And you're fooling yourself if you think this is limited to GM or the auto industry. This is standard corporate America. My corporate employer just axed a bunch of people I work with as well, while asking us to do more work.

And just wait...it's going to get worse in the next couple years.
11-26-2018 01:50 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(11-26-2018 01:50 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

So at what point would they come out of from under your bailout bubble? Just because they took money nearly a decade ago, that means they're never allowed to trim the work force ever again? And I'd bet they would have trimmed a bit more than 15k had they not gotten that bailout.

And you're fooling yourself if you think this is limited to GM or the auto industry. This is standard corporate America. My corporate employer just axed a bunch of people I work with as well, while asking us to do more work.

Not to answer for GTS, but I'm sure most every conservative and libertarian would say once they pay back every penny. Personally they will always be government motors to me.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018 02:43 PM by 200yrs2late.)
11-26-2018 02:42 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Blurb on radio news said the unions are going to try stop this. They have an ownership share now, so this may get interesting.
11-26-2018 03:20 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Ford recently announced layoffs to thousands as well.
11-26-2018 03:32 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(11-26-2018 01:50 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  So at what point would they come out of from under your bailout bubble? Just because they took money nearly a decade ago, that means they're never allowed to trim the work force ever again? And I'd bet they would have trimmed a bit more than 15k had they not gotten that bailout.

Pay back every last cent they owe. And be thorough with "every last cent" including:
- Bankruptcy loan alterations
- Stock price losses after the gov't sold assets
- Interest on that debt at the prevailing commercial rate and accounting for inflation
- Back taxes
- A self-imposed lobbying ban equal to the length of time they short changed the government

And even then I still would refuse to buy one not just based on the shoddy build quality but because of this behavior. They will be Government Motors to me when they put me in my grave. And I'll have still never bought any Government Motors brand or asset -- right down to parts from AC Delco -- when I'm put in that grave.

I'll stick to Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Honda, and Ford.
11-26-2018 04:39 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(11-26-2018 03:32 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Ford recently announced layoffs to thousands as well.

I believe Ford is getting out of the car market almost completely, and focusing on only trucks and SUV's.
11-26-2018 04:53 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(11-26-2018 12:42 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(11-26-2018 12:36 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  

Same here. He is as bad as that Verizon beta boy.

I want to slap that effer every time he comes on to insult my intelligence.
11-26-2018 05:29 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(11-26-2018 01:50 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

AT&T, same thing with more to come.
11-26-2018 05:31 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Since there a lot of folks that don't care for Chevy, here's a slightly altered Chevy commercial (warning strong language).

11-26-2018 06:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.