Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mexicans welcomed Haitians
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Mexicans welcomed Haitians
This was part of an article from earlier in the week.

Quote:Tijuana Mayor Juan Manuel Gastelum has made a point of saying the city is not happy with the migrants who began arriving last week, and he compared the Central American group unfavorably with about 3,000 Haitians who ended up staying after their bid to reach the U.S. failed last year.

“The Haitians arrived with their papers, with a clear vision,” Gastelum said in an interview posted on the city’s Facebook page. They came “in an orderly way, they never asked us for food or shelter,” renting apartments and making their own food. He said the Haitians found jobs and “inserted themselves in the city’s economy” and had not been involved in any disturbances.

By contrast, Gastelum said, the caravan of Central Americans, “had arrived all of sudden, with a lot of people - not all … but a lot - were aggressive and cocky.”

The Mexican government gave the Haitians temporary transit permits, and after they failed in attempts to enter the United States, many have since applied for Mexican residency. The majority in the Central American caravan have refused Mexico’s repeated offers of residency or asylum, and vowed to cross the border.

Haitian Chilo Semaco, 36, said Mexico has been “more or less” welcoming to the Haitian immigrants. Since arriving in Tijuana two years ago, Semaco has found work selling aprons to people crossing the border in their cars. “It’s better than being in Haiti,” he said.

Link
11-24-2018 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Mexicans welcomed Haitians
This caravan was an astroturfed manufactured event by NGOs. Like I posted in many threads border patrol picks up people from dam near every country on the planet. The Haitians had temp status for years following the Earthquake. If they made it to the border they got to stay. Surprised Obama closed the border on them.
11-24-2018 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
RE: Mexicans welcomed Haitians
(11-24-2018 04:52 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  This caravan was an astroturfed manufactured event by NGOs. Like I posted in many threads border patrol picks up people from dam near every country on the planet. The Haitians had temp status for years following the Earthquake. If they made it to the border they got to stay. Surprised Obama closed the border on them.

They weren't the right kind of people that could have been used for political advantage. I assume it was rhetorical, but I answered anyways.
11-26-2018 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.