Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

10-minute postgame Coach Bloom presser video now up....
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
10-minute postgame Coach Bloom presser video now up....
Falls on his sword quite admirably.

You have to empathize with him.

We're short handed. Very.

Did you see what Clemson did to Wake today/ 63-3. That's the same Wake team that led us 42-3 at halftime a week ago.

We're going to have to give this some time.

Check out the postgamer. See what you think.

https://www.ricefootball.net
10-07-2018 12:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OldOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: 10-minute postgame Coach Bloom presser video now up....
Sounds like he is real frustrated and embarrased how the offense played.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018 01:36 AM by OldOwl.)
10-07-2018 01:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Thanks for the video.

“It’s on me” is certainly a refreshing change from “That’s on me”.

Bloom also went through the ways he tried to jump start the offense, said he tried everything he knew, nothing worked. After QB change, one of them was to replace with the run-first, run-second offense with getting stubborn and just keeping with the run?
10-07-2018 09:49 AM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
A bit of pop psychology observation is that when you say 'i/me' 100 times on taking responsibility and then call out your guys multiple times in the next breath...are you really deep down feeling responsible (or checking the coachspeak box?) or do you really believe you have bad QB's and players? Bloom comes across as authentic but conflicted.

My $.02 is that he needs to talk about how it is his show now but he really is frustrated at how bare the cupboard is. Probably surprised even more after getting blown-out in last three games to mediocre/poor teams. Talent problem is compounded by running offensive schemes that don't fit the few pieces you have (athletic WR, shifty RB, etc.) when you need better QB, better OL, etc. to execute your scheme. He knows outside a few names that the rest of the guys are either too green/inexperienced or not D-1 players in first place. Personally, I like him being honest publicly calling-out player (vs. coaching) mistakes but he seems to overcompensate with some guilt about it by saying 'I/me' over-and-over again.

Heard him say something to the effect after Wake game that Rice now has 'about 8 guys' who can play and need to find 22. Problem is that when one of the 8 is not at QB, that is a problem.

I do hope his references to 'tough conversations' w/ the offensive staff result in more 1st down passing, more 1:1 isolations to Cephus, eliminating the toss-iso play, and making more of effort to spread field horizontally and vertically vs. letting other team put 8 in the box. We know results on stuffing the run up-the-gut on 1st and 2nd down and then put a poor QB in 3rd and longs with limited arm and mobility skills. Result is Jack Fox being the team MVP on 4th down which is not the goal.
10-07-2018 03:57 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Just viewed Bloom's presser.

"People who cant protect the ball wont play".

"cant put our team in the situation .... where 17 to 20 points are coming off turnovers".

I dont think that Tyner will see much more than 'Stank hurt' or 'Stank lost his helmet' reps based off that comment.
10-07-2018 04:29 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-07-2018 04:29 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Just viewed Bloom's presser.

"People who cant protect the ball wont play".

"cant put our team in the situation .... where 17 to 20 points are coming off turnovers".

I dont think that Tyner will see much more than 'Stank hurt' or 'Stank lost his helmet' reps based off that comment.

I guess now he will be a full time baseball player.
10-07-2018 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I'd give Aston some reps at QB. That'd be a pretty damn fast backfield and likely just as effective passing. Maybe more so because of the threat to run that doesn't exist now.
10-07-2018 05:40 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
Jack Fox for QB! He was perfect against UTSA.
10-07-2018 05:50 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-07-2018 05:40 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I'd give Aston some reps at QB. That'd be a pretty damn fast backfield and likely just as effective passing. Maybe more so because of the threat to run that doesn't exist now.

A wildcat would be interesting. The key is whether Walter can pass at all. Our issue last time was Eddington couldn't/wouldn't and therefore they just stacked the box like they do now.
10-07-2018 06:07 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-07-2018 06:07 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(10-07-2018 05:40 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I'd give Aston some reps at QB. That'd be a pretty damn fast backfield and likely just as effective passing. Maybe more so because of the threat to run that doesn't exist now.
A wildcat would be interesting. The key is whether Walter can pass at all. Our issue last time was Eddington couldn't/wouldn't and therefore they just stacked the box like they do now.

Eddington was a HS quarterback, so presumably he could throw. I always thought that having him throw off the wildcat would have been very interesting.
10-07-2018 06:38 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-07-2018 06:38 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-07-2018 06:07 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

Eddington was a HS quarterback, so presumably he could throw. I always thought that having him throw off the wildcat would have been very interesting.

It would have been nice. The issue is, right before he did throw, we did a whole lot of obvious tell tale signs... I mean, I knew when we were going to throw in the Wild Owl.. even watching on TV. If I could tell on a crappy SD TV channel, the opposing defense most definitely could as well.
10-07-2018 07:32 PM
Advertisement

Pan95 Online
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
Next blow out, I would love to see what Marshmann can do.
10-07-2018 08:51 PM
RiceOL83 Offline
2nd String

(10-07-2018 08:51 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  Next blow out, I would love to see what Marshmann can do.

Next blowout coming to a Rice stadium soon. UAB will shut the offense out.
10-07-2018 09:14 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

He's a good man. There's not much the coaches can do right now. There's very little to work with, and these young men are playing as hard as they can for every snap.. He shoulders the burden, just like Bailiff did. Move forward, work hard, and recruit. Steal a victory here and there. Remember it's the hard times that make the good times all that much sweeter.
10-07-2018 09:16 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-07-2018 09:16 PM)Ourland Wrote:  He's a good man. There's not much the coaches can do right now. There's very little to work with, and these young men are playing as hard as they can for every snap.. He shoulders the burden, just like Bailiff did. Move forward, work hard, and recruit. Steal a victory here and there. Remember it's the hard times that make the good times all that much sweeter.

He is a good man. A damn good man, and I'm damn glad we've got him. I don't agree with everything he does, but then I can't remember a coach or a politician that I agreed with everything he/she did. I'm not sure he can recruit enough quality o-linemen to make "pound the rock, run the clock" work, but I'm not sure he can't either. Give him three years and let's see where we are.
10-07-2018 09:22 PM
Intellectual_Brutality Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls!
(10-07-2018 08:51 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  Next blow out, I would love to see what Marshmann can do.

Yup. I'd try Glaesmann again, too
10-07-2018 09:25 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-07-2018 09:16 PM)Ourland Wrote:  He's a good man. There's not much the coaches can do right now. There's very little to work with, and these young men are playing as hard as they can for every snap.. He shoulders the burden, just like Bailiff did. Move forward, work hard, and recruit. Steal a victory here and there. Remember it's the hard times that make the good times all that much sweeter.

I don't know what to make of a post like this. Are you saying we shouldn't be upset by the last few games where we looked like a HS team? And after several terrible losses, a terrible win should somehow be sweet?

No one is calling for Blooms head. He had support (as much as Rice can offer), the new guy sheen hasn't worn off yet. So are you saying we should just sit back and applaud whatever happens, like we were encouraged to do for the last 11 years?
10-07-2018 09:28 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-07-2018 09:25 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  

I'd like to see everybody who dressed get into the game. If we are getting blown out, find out who behind the starters wants to play. See if we can find a spark somewhere. Not grasping at straws, just a structured approach to giving game time to as many as possible. Starters are in as long as it's competitive, if we get too far behind, everybody plays. Get people some reps and experience, get them on film, see what we have.

My read of the presser is that Bloomgren thought we were going to be a lot better, and is now frustrated that we aren't progressing. He's going to question some things, and that's good.
10-07-2018 09:36 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(10-07-2018 09:28 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

I don't know what to make of a post like this. Are you saying we shouldn't be upset by the last few games where we looked like a HS team? And after several terrible losses, a terrible win should somehow be sweet?

No one is calling for Blooms head. He had support (as much as Rice can offer), the new guy sheen hasn't worn off yet. So are you saying we should just sit back and applaud whatever happens, like we were encouraged to do for the last 11 years?

I just want to give the new coach as much slack as I gave the last. It's only fair.
10-07-2018 09:54 PM
ruowls Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Football Genius
(10-07-2018 09:36 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-07-2018 09:25 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  

I'd like to see everybody who dressed get into the game. If we are getting blown out, find out who behind the starters wants to play. See if we can find a spark somewhere. Not grasping at straws, just a structured approach to giving game time to as many as possible. Starters are in as long as it's competitive, if we get too far behind, everybody plays. Get people some reps and experience, get them on film, see what we have.

My read of the presser is that Bloomgren thought we were going to be a lot better, and is now frustrated that we aren't progressing. He's going to question some things, and that's good.

The thing that stood out to me was the “I tried everything I know” statement. Then he referenced changing QBs, changing tempo, and just being stubborn and running the ball. But following OO’s sentiments, you are still calling the same plays against the same defense. Why would you expect results to change? You have a former OC trying everything he knew what to do to effect change in a pathetic offensive showing. Ah, but he needs more time to get the right players to match what he knows because he just doesn’t have anything to work with right now. Right.
Sorry for the sarcasm. I just see it as a squandering of the precious resources he has.
10-07-2018 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.