Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

8 am Thursday-report available
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
8 am Thursday-report available
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/...n-thursday

"A Thursday schedule has been set for members of the Senate to view the FBI's supplemental background investigation report on allegations of sexual assault levied on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. The judge denies these allegations.

According to NBC News, summaries of interviews conducted -- otherwise known as "302" forms -- will be available to senators starting at 8 a.m...."
10-03-2018 09:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: 8 am Thursday-report available
Is the first vote (cloture) set yet? Once the cloture motion is invoked after that, the final cloture vote can take place only after 3 days has passed. Only need 50 to pass the cloture vote.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018 09:30 PM by tanqtonic.)
10-03-2018 09:25 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Tonight available per Fox....https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconnell-files-cloture-to-end-debate-on-kavanaugh-nomination-setting-up-key-procedural-vote-later-this-week

Quote:McConnell also revealed that the Senate would receive the FBI's supplemental background investigation into Kavanaugh Wednesday night.
10-03-2018 09:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
(10-03-2018 09:25 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Is the first vote (cloture) set yet? Once the cloture motion is invoked after that, the final cloture vote can take place only after 3 days has passed. Only need 50 to pass the cloture vote.

Your opinion of the final vote Tanq?
10-03-2018 09:35 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

Still have no clue how the Bobbsie twins are going to break.

I think Flake is safe. Considering he came out as a 'yea', got his wish of another week and more investigation, and nothing more appeared -- my gut says that Flake votes 'Yea'. Brings R votes to 49.

If either Bobbsie goes 'yea', I would expect Manchin and Heitekamp to go 'yea'. Maybe Donnelly after his backtrack. Then gives cover to the other Bobbsie to go Nay.

In that case 52-48 or 53-47. Maybe even 54-46 if both vote Yea.

If both Bobbsies go Nay, will be 49-51. No Democrat will be a '50' vote or a '51' vote. I dont think both Bobbsies go Nay. Both voted the repeal of Obamacare down. They do this they will find themselves both on the Fish and Game Committee and the Indian Affairs Committee as their only assignments.n Especially after they backed the Flake power play.

Thanks for making me think about it. Hadnt done so given the non-result of the investigation. I am actually a tad more optimistic after the 'cooldown'. I think the Flake investigation period provided both a lot more cover for the R undecideds and a lot more more pressure for a Yea vote. After the investigation and results, there is nominally more cover for the Bobbsie twins and vastly less opportunity to hide responsibility for a Nay vote.

Since Flake is retiring -- if he wants to go out in blaze of Never Trump glory, this is his opportunity. He *is* much more a true party conservative than McCain, and I just dont see that happening. He made his bones with the other side with the cooldown.

Looks like test vote (cloture) Friday, up/down Saturday.

Edited to add: Found a blog that quoted this, but the original source wasnt provided: Three uncommitted Republicans—Jeff Flake of Arizona, Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska—have said the FBI report would factor significantly into their decision.

The site is a purely biased blog, so I am loathe to use it as a primary source. The above is offset as a embedded quote but no attribution.... If the three Republicans have actually said this, that is a crystal clear statement of how they will vote. If you say 'the FBI report would factor significantly into [my]decision', and the FBI report adds nothing to the mix, and still vote Nay, they are going to be the most awesome Senators who will know the mostest about the best way to fish for salmon on tribal reservations this country has ever seen.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2018 08:21 AM by tanqtonic.)
10-04-2018 07:59 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Filed cloture motion last night. Vote on cloture will be Friday. Final vote Saturday is the plan.
10-04-2018 08:03 AM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(10-04-2018 07:59 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Still have no clue how the Bobbsie twins are going to break.

I think Flake is safe. Considering he came out as a 'yea', got his wish of another week and more investigation, and nothing more appeared -- my gut says that Flake votes 'Yea'. Brings R votes to 49.

If either Bobbsie goes 'yea', I would expect Manchin and Heitekamp to go 'yea'. Maybe Donnelly after his backtrack. Then gives cover to the other Bobbsie to go Nay.

In that case 52-48 or 53-47. Maybe even 54-46 if both vote Yea.

If both Bobbsies go Nay, will be 49-51. No Democrat will be a '50' vote or a '51' vote. I dont think both Bobbsies go Nay. Both voted the repeal of Obamacare down. They do this they will find themselves both on the Fish and Game Committee and the Indian Affairs Committee as their only assignments.n Especially after they backed the Flake power play.

Thanks for making me think about it. Hadnt done so given the non-result of the investigation. I am actually a tad more optimistic after the 'cooldown'. I think the Flake investigation period provided both a lot more cover for the R undecideds and a lot more more pressure for a Yea vote. After the investigation and results, there is nominally more cover for the Bobbsie twins and vastly less opportunity to hide responsibility for a Nay vote.

Since Flake is retiring -- if he wants to go out in blaze of Never Trump glory, this is his opportunity. He *is* much more a true party conservative than McCain, and I just dont see that happening. He made his bones with the other side with the cooldown.

Looks like test vote (cloture) Friday, up/down Saturday.

Edited to add: Found a blog that quoted this, but the original source wasnt provided: Three uncommitted Republicans—Jeff Flake of Arizona, Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska—have said the FBI report would factor significantly into their decision.

The site is a purely biased blog, so I am loathe to use it as a primary source. The above is offset as a embedded quote but no attribution.... If the three Republicans have actually said this, that is a crystal clear statement of how they will vote. If you say 'the FBI report would factor significantly into [my]decision', and the FBI report adds nothing to the mix, and still vote Nay, they are going to be the most awesome Senators who will know the mostest about the best way to fish for salmon on tribal reservations this country has ever seen.

Thanks Tanq for taking the time to answer my question.

I was initially pissed with the week's delay, not because I thought another FBI investigation would turn up something new, but because I just wanted to get on with it. In retrospect, enough new info has come out about Ford, that she looks even worse than she did at the end of her testimony, and, as you point out, some waivering Senators have been given the cover they need to vote yes.

Now, let's get on with it. :)
10-04-2018 08:25 AM
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

Doesnt take too much to read between these lines -- Calling Flake a Yea here

10-04-2018 11:57 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

Collins called the report 'thorough' this morning. Might be hard for her to cast a Nay with that comment. Thinking I'm moving Bobbsey #1 to the Yea side. Looks like 50 at this point.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2018 12:02 PM by tanqtonic.)
10-04-2018 12:01 PM
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(10-04-2018 12:01 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Collins called the report 'thorough' this morning. Might be hard for her to cast a Nay with that comment. Thinking I'm moving Bobbsey #1 to the Yea side. Looks like 50 at this point.

All signs and sounds out of DC on the pub side are positive. This one looks like we can put a fork in it. 04-cheers
10-04-2018 03:43 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Simply masterful. They completely destroyed Dr. Fraud's allegations without ever confronting her in front of the public.

Bravo!
10-04-2018 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.