Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Southern Miss Pre-Game Thread
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Starting this up because it was announced a little while ago that Southern Miss won't be playing @App State this weekend (they might play later in season).

So... Both teams will have a bye week going into the game.
09-12-2018 04:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

RE: Southern Miss Pre-Game Thread
[Image: 637.gif]
09-12-2018 04:17 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-12-2018 04:12 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Starting this up because it was announced a little while ago that Southern Miss won't be playing @App State this weekend (they might play later in season).

So... Both teams will have a bye week going into the game.

Hmmm. Not sure I like that development, but not sure how a team improves more - having a bye week to practice and get healthy, or actually playing. What was the reason for canceling that game? (edit: Florence - I didn't even know where App St was) I expected S Miss to lose that one, but they will be healthier and won't have to travel.

I'm optimistic the pass defense will show good improvement vs S Miss. Their QB doesn't seem like anything special, probably the worst one we've faced so far. Their WRs seem unproven and nothing special (based on performance and preseason preview). Their defense looks decent. But overall, a winnable game, I wonder what the spread will be. Remember- Bailiff went into Hattiesburg and pulled off the upset for his first win at Rice. Bloomgren can get his first FBS level and CUSA there win too.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 05:11 PM by Buho00.)
09-12-2018 04:45 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(09-12-2018 04:45 PM)Buho00 Wrote:  What was the reason for canceling that game? I expected S Miss to lose that one, but they will be healthier and won't have to travel.

Inbound Hurricane
09-12-2018 04:50 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(09-12-2018 04:12 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  ... (they might play later in season).

Rescheduling this game may be difficult. App State has games on a Tuesday (Oct. 9) and Thursday (Oct. 25) that make the neighboring Saturdays (before and after) probably unwise to play on.

USM does have an open date on Oct. 6, however. Dec. 1 -- the date of the Sun Belt championship game -- could also be a possibility, , if App State's not in it.
09-12-2018 05:14 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2018 05:14 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 04:12 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  ... (they might play later in season).

Rescheduling this game may be difficult. App State has games on a Tuesday (Oct. 9) and Thursday (Oct. 25) that make the neighboring Saturdays (before and after) probably unwise to play on.

USM does have an open date on Oct. 6, however. Dec. 1 -- the date of the Sun Belt championship game -- could also be a possibility, , if App State's not in it.

Yeah, they have a game on the Tuesday after their bye so one thought was to move that game to Thursday and play on the Saturday of their bye (as I think USM is off that week).
09-12-2018 05:22 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Why not move the game to Hattiesburg?
09-12-2018 05:26 PM
RiceOL83 Offline
2nd String

NO ONE CARES WHEN OR IF THEY RESCHEDULE.
09-12-2018 06:14 PM
illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-12-2018 05:26 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Why not move the game to Hattiesburg?

IIRC, LSU and South Carolina (?) agreed to do this a few years ago with a hurricane bearing down, i.e., move the game to the road team's home. (Actually I think "agreed" is probably not the right word - the SEC forced them to.) Consequently, the originally scheduled home team, who was favored to win before the switcheroo, lost. This being the SEC, I'm sure there were death threats called in to the conference office.

In a pretty original move, Virginia found a neutral site to salvage its upcoming Saturday home game with Ohio -- both teams are headed to Nashville and will play in Vanderbilt's stadium (Vandy is at Notre Dame this week). Admission will be free.
09-12-2018 06:29 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
UAB hosted a couple of games recently to accommodate Florida teams looking for a safe place to play.
09-12-2018 07:03 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(09-12-2018 06:14 PM)RiceOL83 Wrote:  NO ONE CARES WHEN OR IF THEY RESCHEDULE.

If a hurricane causes a tree to fall in the forest and no one is around, does the tree felling need to be repeated?
09-12-2018 07:14 PM
Advertisement

Seventyniner Offline
1st String

(09-12-2018 07:14 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

If a hurricane causes a tree to fall in the forest and no one is around, does the tree felling need to be repeated?

No, but the dead horse must receive another severe beating.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 08:30 PM by Seventyniner.)
09-12-2018 08:30 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(09-12-2018 08:30 PM)Seventyniner Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 07:14 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

No, but the dead horse must receive another severe beating.

Until the carcass is acknowledged as dead and carried away.

As long as we proudly leave the carcass on a pedestal of unprecedented height and stature, severe beatings and repeated flogging is a seemingly appropriate choice of action.

Otherwise we are trying to sell CDOs right after the collapse of Bear Stearns... the equivalent which seemingly is continuing to be accepted as modus operandi in the College Athletic community. The value of App State vs USM is on par with the inflated valuations of the subprime MBS, but as long as someone is willing to buy (or bail out) the valuation, the party can continue.

Mr. Gorbachev. Tear down this pedestal. Till then, flog away.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 10:06 PM by Antarius.)
09-12-2018 08:53 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Speaking of dead horses, there is an old joke in New Orleans that goes as follows:
A policeman finds a dead horse lying in the street at the corner of Common and Tchoupitoulas streets. The officer pulls out his patrol notebook to record the incident. After several futile attempts to spell Tchoupitoulas, he gives up, drags the dead horse up the street a block, and duly records, “Dead horse found at corner of Common and Magazine.”

This joke is re-told, with some surrounding details, in this neat little essay:
http://www.neworleansbar.org/uploads/fil...13_001.pdf

The essay (which I suspect was written as a speech) attributes the publication of the joke to John Churchill Chase, the city's long-time editorial cartoonist and part-time historian, whom I had the great pleasure of taking a class from one summer many years ago. The essay also notes that renowned CBS journalist Charles Kuralt once related the joke on his national broadcast, but for some reason changed Magazine Street to Camp Street -- which not only makes less sense (Camp is actually two blocks from Tchoupitoulas), but doesn't sound as cool.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 09:43 PM by georgewebb.)
09-12-2018 09:43 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(09-12-2018 04:45 PM)Buho00 Wrote:  I'm optimistic the pass defense will show good improvement vs S Miss. Their QB doesn't seem like anything special, probably the worst one we've faced so far.

I'll defer to google, as it has better memory than me, but I recall an article about SMiss dismissing their starting QB for some reason that only google knows.
09-12-2018 09:54 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(09-12-2018 09:43 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  The essay also notes that renowned CBS journalist Charles Kuralt once related the joke on his national broadcast, but for some reason changed Magazine Street to Camp Street -- which not only makes less sense (Camp is actually two blocks from Tchoupitoulas), but doesn't sound as cool.

In Kuralt's defense, that essay's writer blames WWL’s Phil Johnson, who apparently was the one who told this story to Charles Kuralt.
09-12-2018 09:57 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(09-12-2018 09:54 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 04:45 PM)Buho00 Wrote:  I'm optimistic the pass defense will show good improvement vs S Miss. Their QB doesn't seem like anything special, probably the worst one we've faced so far.

I'll defer to google, as it has better memory than me, but I recall an article about SMiss dismissing their starting QB for some reason that only google knows.

Indefinitely suspended, IIRC. Student Conduct issue.

Which tends to mean its something bad and the compliance department is desperately covering their backsides in an expedited fashion.
09-12-2018 10:04 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(09-12-2018 09:57 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 09:43 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  The essay also notes that renowned CBS journalist Charles Kuralt once related the joke on his national broadcast, but for some reason changed Magazine Street to Camp Street -- which not only makes less sense (Camp is actually two blocks from Tchoupitoulas), but doesn't sound as cool.

In Kuralt's defense, that essay's writer blames WWL’s Phil Johnson, who apparently was the one who told this story to Charles Kuralt.

Good point. By the way, I went to high school with the Johnson kids.
09-13-2018 12:26 AM
Neely's Ghost Offline
Bench Warmer

I'll take App State and the points
09-13-2018 07:34 AM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

Early on, in the pre-season, I had this game penciled in as a definite loss. But with S Miss in a re-building phase and with the Owls playing a lot better than I expected, I think we’ve got a chance to steal this one.
I had planned to go to this game, but schedule conflicts have intervened. That’s a shame, because I’ve always had a good time going to Rice -S Miss games in Hattiesburg. They have a great game-time experience and the fans have always been friendly and helpful. I think there’s a bit of a parallel between our two schools. S Miss locked out of a lot of funding by State and Ole Miss and Rice being overshadowed by the size of UH and the othe ESU’s in South Central Texas.
09-13-2018 08:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.