Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Back to School: Another Record Enrollment/On-Campus Beds Swell
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Back to School: Another Record Enrollment/On-Campus Beds Swell
UC announces it expects over 45,000 students for this fall. The number of students living in campus housing is now 6,800 (up from 6,400 last year).

https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2018/08/n200042.html

08-21-2018 01:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
RE: Back to School: Another Record Enrollment/On-Campus Beds Swell
I read elsewhere that 83% of incoming freshman will be living on campus. When I began in 1990, it was much closer to 83% living off campus. That's incredible.

08-21-2018 01:38 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(08-21-2018 01:38 PM)geef Wrote:  I read elsewhere that 83% of incoming freshman will be living on campus. When I began in 1990, it was much closer to 83% living off campus. That's incredible.

That is what I remember as well and I began in 1986. Here's what I love most for our university:

Quote:This year’s class of first-years boasts the highest academic profile of any in the university’s 199-year history, with significant increases in average ACT score (26.3), SAT score (1257) and GPA (3.61).

08-21-2018 02:13 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-21-2018 02:13 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(08-21-2018 01:38 PM)geef Wrote:  I read elsewhere that 83% of incoming freshman will be living on campus. When I began in 1990, it was much closer to 83% living off campus. That's incredible.

That is what I remember as well and I began in 1986. Here's what I love most for our university:

Quote:This year’s class of first-years boasts the highest academic profile of any in the university’s 199-year history, with significant increases in average ACT score (26.3), SAT score (1257) and GPA (3.61).

It's hard to know what to make of these statistics. This summer I received a communication from Madeira High School indicating that of 108 graduating seniors, 43 had GPA's in excess of 4.0. In 1965, the year of my graduation at Madeira, we had not a single student who graduated with a 4.0 average. Our valedictorian that year had one B in her high school career which kept her from graduating with a perfect 4.0 average. So there is a distinct possibility that today's GPA's are highly inflated and are part of the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset that pervades public education today.

The SAT scores, on the other hand, may be more encouraging about the talent level of this year's entering class. But again, what numbers are those? All UC colleges? Only UC four-year colleges? Only A&S, Business, CCM and Engineering? Who knows. Colleges do a very good job of providing only the statistics that they want you to know, and not the statistics that they do not want you to know.

08-21-2018 05:04 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-21-2018 05:04 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  

It's hard to know what to make of these statistics. This summer I received a communication from Madeira High School indicating that of 108 graduating seniors, 43 had GPA's in excess of 4.0. In 1965, the year of my graduation at Madeira, we had not a single student who graduated with a 4.0 average. Our valedictorian that year had one B in her high school career which kept her from graduating with a perfect 4.0 average. So there is a distinct possibility that today's GPA's are highly inflated and are part of the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset that pervades public education today.

The SAT scores, on the other hand, may be more encouraging about the talent level of this year's entering class. But again, what numbers are those? All UC colleges? Only UC four-year colleges? Only A&S, Business, CCM and Engineering? Who knows. Colleges do a very good job of providing only the statistics that they want you to know, and not the statistics that they do not want you to know.

I agree with you about gpa. Not put into context with class rank and SAT/ACT scores, it's pretty much useless. Grade inflation is entirely out of control.

As for UC's reporting, I'd assume that number is for all entering freshman at the Clifton campus. When the common data set is released you can double check it against that to see if UC is fudging the numbers for the press.

BTW, Miami is notorious for doing that on their website. They list the gpa, class rank and test scores for "admitted students" rather than the actual freshman class. And since most of the really top students that are admitted go elsewhere (i.e. Miami was their safety) while most of the students at the bottom of an admitted student pool will go to that school, (Miami was the best school they could get into) their actual freshman numbers are not as good--when comparing their website to their common data set--as they try and make out.

08-21-2018 05:13 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

And to footnote this for football and basketball, I'll hypothesize that attendance for games among residential students (on and near campus) is substantially higher than for students who commute. No offense intended for commuters--some super UC fans worked a couple of jobs while commuting and earning degrees.

So more students on the hilltop should create a larger pool of potential attendees. Here's hoping the student sections are overflowing at Nippert and in the new 5th/3rd. A full, engaged student section energizes the rest of the crowd and that plays well on national TV.

08-21-2018 07:38 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-21-2018 05:13 PM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(08-21-2018 05:04 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  

I agree with you about gpa. Not put into context with class rank and SAT/ACT scores, it's pretty much useless. Grade inflation is entirely out of control.

As for UC's reporting, I'd assume that number is for all entering freshman at the Clifton campus. When the common data set is released you can double check it against that to see if UC is fudging the numbers for the press.

BTW, Miami is notorious for doing that on their website. They list the gpa, class rank and test scores for "admitted students" rather than the actual freshman class. And since most of the really top students that are admitted go elsewhere (i.e. Miami was their safety) while most of the students at the bottom of an admitted student pool will go to that school, (Miami was the best school they could get into) their actual freshman numbers are not as good--when comparing their website to their common data set--as they try and make out.

As a UC supporter, I could care less about the minutia of the numbers. UC fans/supporters tend to dissect our positives. Put your best numbers forward. If other schools are inflating numbers, then UC should as well. Even the playing field.

08-22-2018 12:37 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Nice!

How does the ACT/SAT score compare to past years? They say it's up, but by how much?

08-22-2018 04:35 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(08-22-2018 04:35 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Nice!

How does the ACT/SAT score compare to past years? They say it's up, but by how much?

The past couple years the ACT remained around 25.9. Nice to see.it finally bump up.

(This post was last modified: 08-22-2018 08:26 PM by BearcatsUC.)
08-22-2018 08:25 PM
GoCats1994 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bearcats
(08-21-2018 01:19 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  UC announces it expects over 45,000 students for this fall. The number of students living in campus housing is now 6,800 (up from 6,400 last year).

My son is one of those 6,800. Moved into Daniels Hall yesterday.

#2ndgenerationbearcat, #proudpapa

08-23-2018 06:25 AM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(08-23-2018 06:25 AM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  
(08-21-2018 01:19 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  UC announces it expects over 45,000 students for this fall. The number of students living in campus housing is now 6,800 (up from 6,400 last year).

Congrats!

08-23-2018 08:23 AM
Advertisement

SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators

04-cheers Congrats!!!

Just had a breakfast meeting with a client up here and he just dropped his daughter off at UC this past weekend.

Looking at Freshman enrollment from NW Ohio ... 24 kids from Toledo, 20 kids from Sylvania, 19 kids from Perrysburg, 16 kids from Maumee area and 35 from Findlay area...seeing more and more UC stuff in my neck of the woods than I have recently. Walking my dog last night a lady said go Bearcats when she saw my shirt, said her son is a senior in engineering down at UC. I think if Toledo and UC played regularly that trend would continue to grow because the fans up here are so split anyways (OSU, UM, UT, ND, BGSU, MSU etc).

08-23-2018 08:39 AM
BearcatMan Online

(08-23-2018 08:39 AM)SeniorBearcat Wrote:  

04-cheers Congrats!!!

Just had a breakfast meeting with a client up here and he just dropped his daughter off at UC this past weekend.

Looking at Freshman enrollment from NW Ohio ... 24 kids from Toledo, 20 kids from Sylvania, 19 kids from Perrysburg, 16 kids from Maumee area and 35 from Findlay area...seeing more and more UC stuff in my neck of the woods than I have recently. Walking my dog last night a lady said go Bearcats when she saw my shirt, said her son is a senior in engineering down at UC. I think if Toledo and UC played regularly that trend would continue to grow because the fans up here are so split anyways (OSU, UM, UT, ND, BGSU, MSU etc).

Yep! I see more and more C paws on licence plates and back windows than I did when I first came back to Toledo in 2014...it's definitely a growing trend up here (although that Findlay number is one that has always been around...they've had such a strong connection with Marathon that I think a lot more of those student had been exposed to UC from a young age). I remember being the only Maumee grad from my class of 265 back in '04 to head down there, and now there are 16 out of 180 going there...that's nuts to think about.

08-23-2018 09:13 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2018 09:13 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

04-cheers Congrats!!!

Yep! I see more and more C paws on licence plates and back windows than I did when I first came back to Toledo in 2014...it's definitely a growing trend up here (although that Findlay number is one that has always been around...they've had such a strong connection with Marathon that I think a lot more of those student had been exposed to UC from a young age). I remember being the only Maumee grad from my class of 265 back in '04 to head down there, and now there are 16 out of 180 going there...that's nuts to think about.

In my travels to the Toledo area, I've never sensed the "love" for OSU that is palpable in other corners of the state. I know there is a strong Michigan contingent up there too, given the proximity to Ann Arbor. So it's fertile ground for student recruitment for UC as an appealing alternative to life in Cowtown.

I'd never really thought about the value of some football/basketball exposure for UC in that market but I too believe it has merit. Is there a possible "neutral court" basketball venue where UC might play Toledo or BG on a weekend in November? Again, a closer road trip for our fans than any the AAC offers and a chance to plant our flag on turf the scarlet and gray clad folks believe they rightfully own.

Growing "the brand" elsewhere in the state seems to me another building block in setting UC apart from the rest of the pack in Ohio and continuing to make that strong case for the P5.

08-23-2018 10:10 AM
skylinecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(08-23-2018 10:10 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

04-cheers Congrats!!!

In my travels to the Toledo area, I've never sensed the "love" for OSU that is palpable in other corners of the state. I know there is a strong Michigan contingent up there too, given the proximity to Ann Arbor. So it's fertile ground for student recruitment for UC as an appealing alternative to life in Cowtown.

I'd never really thought about the value of some football/basketball exposure for UC in that market but I too believe it has merit. Is there a possible "neutral court" basketball venue where UC might play Toledo or BG on a weekend in November? Again, a closer road trip for our fans than any the AAC offers and a chance to plant our flag on turf the scarlet and gray clad folks believe they rightfully own.

Growing "the brand" elsewhere in the state seems to me another building block in setting UC apart from the rest of the pack in Ohio and continuing to make that strong case for the P5.

We should move the game against Michigan to the Cavs' arena in Cleveland. Or try to set up another game against Pitt.

08-23-2018 10:47 AM
BearcatMan Online

04-cheers Congrats!!!

Not really...Savage Arena (UT's basketball arena) is the largest indoor venue in the area as far as capacity goes, and they're at just around 8,000. Huntington Center (our US Bank) is roughly the same capacity, but I'm not sure how they would be able to set that up for basketball since it is a primary hockey arena.

08-23-2018 11:02 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

04-cheers

08-23-2018 12:10 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

04-cheers Congrats!!!

I've long maintained that UC should strive to be the clear #2 brand in the state. We need to be as Georgia Tech is to Georgia, Virginia Tech is to Virginia and Pitt is to Penn State. OSU can't take them all, they've gotten much more selective in the past decade and we have much more to offer than the MAC schools and YSU/ClevelandSt/WSU (no offense to any of those schools).

Glad to see a growth in market share in NWO. Let's keep pressing on up there and elsewhere. Need to tap into that Columbus/Central Ohio area more-- it's the fastest growing region of the state and all those suburban schools are send a ton of kids to college (Dublin, Hilliard, Westerville, Upper Arlington, Worthington, etc.). I used to live there--- UC has garnered a larger presence there but there is much more potential that needs to be tapped into.

08-23-2018 01:13 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

Congratulations!

My oldest starts at UC-Blue Ash next week. He's living at home to focus on his studies and save a buck- hopefully he'll transition to the main campus in two years.

08-23-2018 01:16 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(08-23-2018 01:13 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(08-23-2018 06:25 AM)GoCats1994 Wrote:  My son is one of those 6,800. Moved into Daniels Hall yesterday.

04-cheers Congrats!!!

I've long maintained that UC should strive to be the clear #2 brand in the state. We need to be as Georgia Tech is to Georgia, Virginia Tech is to Virginia and Pitt is to Penn State. OSU can't take them all, they've gotten much more selective in the past decade and we have much more to offer than the MAC schools and YSU/ClevelandSt/WSU (no offense to any of those schools).

Glad to see a growth in market share in NWO. Let's keep pressing on up there and elsewhere. Need to tap into that Columbus/Central Ohio area more-- it's the fastest growing region of the state and all those suburban schools are send a ton of kids to college (Dublin, Hilliard, Westerville, Upper Arlington, Worthington, etc.). I used to live there--- UC has garnered a larger presence there but there is much more potential that needs to be tapped into.

Agree entirely. UC needs to push to become a statewide university. My only quibble with the above is that many consider Pitt to be the better university in PA.

08-23-2018 06:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.