Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Sports 56
Bookmark and Share
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Sports 56
Haven't listened in a while, but turned it on when I read the David Moore news. Still the same old, same old. Freaking out about the possibility of Brady White getting hurt and relying on freshman back ups and lamenting the lack of money compared to P-5 schools. Never mind that we have basically had a top 25 football program spanning 2 coaches over the last 4 years and a basketball program currently generating more media pub and recruiting better that 95% of the P-5 schools.
08-21-2018 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

RE: Sports 56
They still have the sports betting/vet talk show in the afternoon?
08-21-2018 12:14 PM
9eaux1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UofM, LSU
Still a much better listen than 92.9
08-21-2018 12:22 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
Sounds like a lot of what's heard on this board.....ridiculous fodder of whining complaining and beeyotching!!! It's REALLY disheartening that there is a cloud around this city, because it is a FANTASTIC city for sports. There is potential here when things are RIGHT and Memphis is on the cusp of that for both MAJOR sports...But to hear comments made that suggests that the basketball program MUST WIN a certain number of games to peak their interests suggests "Fair weatherness" and that mentality makes this city struggle....

Penny and staff have made tremendous accomplishments from where the team was a few months ago, but you still get questions on his coaching ability and IF the team will WIN; If the team will make the tourney etc etc etc....And although those are legitimate concerns, SUPPORT helps supersede some of those if NOT ALL of those issues

Get behind our teams with a FLOOD of support and allow the professionals to handle what they are paid to handle
08-21-2018 12:25 PM
Advertisement

gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Good stuff from Dr. Rudd...says UofM should be in the first tier of USN&WR college rankings within a year to year and a half.

EDIT: Also projects Memphis to be the largest university in TN within a couple of years once the FedEx partnership rolls out to other hubs. Lots of good tidbits in the interview.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 12:58 PM by gulfcoastgal.)
08-21-2018 12:32 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I heard the show. I didn't get the impression that they were over reacting or in a panic state. It is the big news for the day, so they discussed it. Also, Dr. Rudd was on talking money, so they did as well. That's talk radio, it didn't seem to be all that bad.
08-21-2018 12:37 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(08-21-2018 12:37 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  I heard the show. I didn't get the impression that they were over reacting or in a panic state. It is the big news for the day, so they discussed it. Also, Dr. Rudd was on talking money, so they did as well. That's talk radio, it didn't seem to be all that bad.

Yeah, but you can hear the tone turn decisively negative once dr. Rudd leaves the air and Greg and Eli are left to discuss amongst themselves. The perfect example was their negativity about the TV money after dr. Rudd had just said that they as a conference are very confident that we will get a big raise.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 11:16 PM by geosnooker2000.)
08-21-2018 04:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Keeper Offline
All American

A big rise in revenue can correct a sea of worries.
08-21-2018 09:05 PM
NDTiger Offline
All American

(08-21-2018 09:05 PM)Keeper Wrote:  A big rise in revenue can correct a sea of worries.

Two good articles from July of this year:
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sports-...tions.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.c...01284.html
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018 10:03 PM by NDTiger.)
08-21-2018 09:56 PM
TallTiger Offline
All American

I Root For:
Critical / controversial comments on sports talk radio gets people to call and raises your blood pressure if you fall for it.

Surprised over the years how much the Grizzlies dominate the airtime.

Paul Finebaum had Mike Norvell on after the regular season but when he was considered for the Arkansas job. As soon as Mike was off the air, Paul and his co-host blew him off and didn't think he would be a good fit for the Hogs. Not very professional but Finebaum goes out of his way to be anti-Memphis, his hometown.
08-22-2018 04:42 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-22-2018 04:42 AM)TallTiger Wrote:  Critical / controversial comments on sports talk radio gets people to call and raises your blood pressure if you fall for it.

Paul Finebaum had Mike Norvell on after the regular season but when he was considered for the Arkansas job. As soon as Mike was off the air, Paul and his co-host blew him off and didn't think he would be a good fit for the Hogs. Not very professional but Finebaum goes out of his way to be anti-Memphis, his hometown.

In the few times I listened to his show he was irascible and confrontational. One day he will say the wrong thing to the wrong person and he will be toast.
08-22-2018 06:00 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2018 04:42 AM)TallTiger Wrote:  Critical / controversial comments on sports talk radio gets people to call and raises your blood pressure if you fall for it.

He was on with J&J last week and was very complimentary of the Tigers programs - football and basketball. Said he wanted to come to a basketball game when he is in town after football season.

But, yeah, I agree that he has historically been very dismissive of us. Not sure if he was pandering to the local crowd last week, or if he is having a change of heart. He even gave a "Go Tigers!" at the end of the interview.
08-22-2018 09:38 AM
UofMark Offline
Heisman

(08-22-2018 06:00 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  In the few times I listened to his show he was irascible and confrontational. One day he will say the wrong thing to the wrong person and he will be toast.

That person will be Nick Saban. The day gets closer every year, every interview, Paul gets a little closer to the trip wire with him.
08-22-2018 10:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.