Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Triple Option
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Triple Option
Am I the only one that would like to see at least a little full house backfield and triple option action with this group? Man are we loaded in the backfield. Marcus at fullback with Cardon and Trai at halfbacks. Wow!
07-27-2018 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Triple Option
(07-27-2018 04:27 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Am I the only one that would like to see at least a little full house backfield and triple option action with this group? Man are we loaded in the backfield. Marcus at fullback with Cardon and Trai at halfbacks. Wow!

Whoa! Marcus came to JMU to get away from that stuff.

(j/k...well, sort of)

03-thumbsup

I know what you mean though. Let's hope they can stay healthy - especially rooting for Cardon. Would love to see him get a full season in.
07-27-2018 05:46 PM
olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(07-27-2018 04:27 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Am I the only one that would like to see at least a little full house backfield and triple option action with this group? Man are we loaded in the backfield. Marcus at fullback with Cardon and Trai at halfbacks. Wow!

Honestly, I'd rather see Trai in the slot.
07-27-2018 06:14 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
(07-27-2018 06:14 PM)olderduke Wrote:  

Honestly, I'd rather see Trai in the slot.

Yep, this. My problem with the triple option is it can feel a little predictable if overused, sort of like Mickey ball. You don't want the defense to go "ok, thats a run play, everyone play up"

Could see the triple option used as an unexpected changeup to throw defenses for a loop on a rare occasion, but making other teams defend both the run and pass against these guys would be even better.

If things are disguised right, they would never know what to expect, and we could have weapons all over the place on every play.
07-27-2018 06:28 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I know we've covered it before multiple times in the past here, but one of the very few things I don't like about our offense is lack of power packages when inside the 3 or 4 yard line (1st or 2nd and goal). And, more specifically, snapping the ball in the gun back 5-6 yards.

Was it the Weber State game when Schor last year walked up to take a snap from center and sneaked it in for a TD (or was it a first down) inside the 3 yard line??? Not advocating for the triple option per se, but would love to see us mix it up a bit when inside the 3-5 yard line 1st and goal.

(note, I'd love to see us throw more screen passes to these backs too...of course, if/when you have superior offensive line play like we did in '15 and '16, you can do pretty much whatever you want to do and it will be successful more often than not)
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2018 06:54 PM by Wear Purple.)
07-27-2018 06:52 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I’ve always felt the success of the triple option hinged on the QB not the RB’s and I’m not sure either QB is quick enough to run the option other than on a surprise play. Houston will find a way to get the RB’s touches and he mentioned going back to a ground heavy game during media day. Maybe a couple of them become a RB/WR position that goes in motion pre snap and can take a sweep handoff/shuffle pass at any time.

Over the course of his career John Miller had some nice versatility mixing RB duties with WR duties.

Has a 3rd receiver stepped up yet to compliment Eldridge and stapleton?
07-27-2018 07:26 PM
Advertisement

JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

(07-27-2018 07:26 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I’ve always felt the success of the triple option hinged on the QB not the RB’s and I’m not sure either QB is quick enough to run the option other than on a surprise play. Houston will find a way to get the RB’s touches and he mentioned going back to a ground heavy game during media day. Maybe a couple of them become a RB/WR position that goes in motion pre snap and can take a sweep handoff/shuffle pass at any time.

Over the course of his career John Miller had some nice versatility mixing RB duties with WR duties.

We aren't running the triple option with this team no matter what. You have to practice it over and over and over and we don't have a QB to run it anyway. But yeah, you're right the QB making the right reads are a big key. Also the other skill players being willing to block matters a lot.
07-27-2018 09:15 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Dukes have depth at RB- not looking for Triple option but look for a return to the power running game of 2 years ago. I don't think we can count on Cardon Johnson to be more than an 8-10 carry a game back. It's a long season (especially for JMU) so having 5 capable backs (3 splitting carries per game) is a great thing.

Houston also seems very high on the O-Line. A recent article cited the running yards vs. North Dakota in Fargo when the Dukes punched them in the mouth vs. last year's championship game. Look for JMU to use their Running game to control the pace offensively (like two years ago). Sets up one on one coverage with Stapleton and Cheatham for big plays in the passing game.
07-28-2018 09:36 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-28-2018 09:36 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Dukes have depth at RB- not looking for Triple option but look for a return to the power running game of 2 years ago. I don't think we can count on Cardon Johnson to be more than an 8-10 carry a game back. It's a long season (especially for JMU) so having 5 capable backs (3 splitting carries per game) is a great thing.

Houston also seems very high on the O-Line. A recent article cited the running yards vs. North Dakota in Fargo when the Dukes punched them in the mouth vs. last year's championship game. Look for JMU to use their Running game to control the pace offensively (like two years ago). Sets up one on one coverage with Stapleton and Cheatham for big plays in the passing game.

If you’re dividing the load among 4 guys you might not need to count on anyone being a more than 8-10 carry a game back, at least until if/when someone gets injured..
07-28-2018 01:40 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

A good situation to be in. Fenner, Banks, Hines & Bolton all carried the load (100 yd games) at some point during our '04 championship season.
07-28-2018 02:54 PM
Knit35 Offline
1st String

Please no with this.
07-28-2018 03:59 PM
Advertisement

ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2018 09:15 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  
(07-27-2018 07:26 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I’ve always felt the success of the triple option hinged on the QB not the RB’s and I’m not sure either QB is quick enough to run the option other than on a surprise play. Houston will find a way to get the RB’s touches and he mentioned going back to a ground heavy game during media day. Maybe a couple of them become a RB/WR position that goes in motion pre snap and can take a sweep handoff/shuffle pass at any time.

We aren't running the triple option with this team no matter what. You have to practice it over and over and over and we don't have a QB to run it anyway. But yeah, you're right the QB making the right reads are a big key. Also the other skill players being willing to block matters a lot.

I would not be surprised to see some short yardage/goal line sets with the QB under center in a Power I or Single Back. But triple option, nope. That is not something you just 'toy' with to be effective. That is an offense that takes a lot of practice and different blocking style. With the triple option you are either in (for a large % of plays) or not doing it.
07-30-2018 10:23 AM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(07-30-2018 10:23 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

I would not be surprised to see some short yardage/goal line sets with the QB under center in a Power I or Single Back. But triple option, nope. That is not something you just 'toy' with to be effective. That is an offense that takes a lot of practice and different blocking style. With the triple option you are either in (for a large % of plays) or not doing it.

I agree with every word. I'd love to see a set with a handful of plays under center for short yardage. Sneak, dive, off tackle, couple quick throws, bootleg, pitch. 3rd & goal from the one is a place where the shotgun and RPO drive me nuts.
08-03-2018 10:26 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(08-03-2018 10:26 AM)94computerguy Wrote:  
(07-30-2018 10:23 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

I agree with every word. I'd love to see a set with a handful of plays under center for short yardage. Sneak, dive, off tackle, couple quick throws, bootleg, pitch. 3rd & goal from the one is a place where the shotgun and RPO drive me nuts.

Yup
08-03-2018 10:28 AM
DevilDawg Offline
2nd String

(07-27-2018 04:27 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Am I the only one that would like to see at least a little full house backfield and triple option action with this group?

I love triple option football! However, I do not believe that would be in JMU’s best interests this season.
08-04-2018 10:44 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
Can an offense switch back and forth between triple option and not triple option?

4-6 plays a game with the triple option would be fun to watch. This may be a clown idea ????
08-05-2018 07:49 AM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2018 07:49 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Can an offense switch back and forth between triple option and not triple option?

4-6 plays a game with the triple option would be fun to watch. This may be a clown idea ????

I think it was pointed out earlier, to have a successful triple option it needs much practice to develop reads. Lot's of reps in that one area may take away from the success we have been enjoying with our offense. Still, having three horses in the backfield every so often would put some fear in the defense.
08-05-2018 08:11 AM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

(08-05-2018 07:49 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Can an offense switch back and forth between triple option and not triple option?

Not effectively because you need to practice it a lot. And we don't have a triple option QB anyway.
08-05-2018 08:11 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

The triple option has been awesome for JMU. Its given us Vad Lee and Marcus Marshall.
08-05-2018 08:19 AM
DukeDogNation Offline
Banned

(08-05-2018 08:11 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  I think it was pointed out earlier, to have a successful triple option it needs much practice to develop reads. Lot's of reps in that one area may take away from the success we have been enjoying with our offense. Still, having three horses in the backfield every so often would put some fear in the defense.

I think we ran a three-back set a few times throughout the year last year.

I agree with others that we will see RBs line up in the slot. I think that gives us some versatility to run the jet sweep/inside zone looks that FAU ran last year.
08-05-2018 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.