Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Position-by-Position: OL
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Position-by-Position: OL
Can we take a group (position) each week and discuss it until we get to camp. Then we can update the info during camp.

I find OL (and QB) to be the most interesting positions on the squad in terms of returnees, newcomers, 2-deep starters, etc.

Maybe we can start with the 2017 final depth chart and try to work our way forward.

LT 77 Chris Bukoski* 6-5 295 Jr. 15 11
54 Ka’John Armstrong** 6-4 290 Jr. 30 11

LG 67 Jeremy Hickey* 6-4 310 Jr. 25 11
69 Jake Donnellon 6-5 300 Fr. 11 3

C 78 Dakota Tallman** 6-5 310 Jr. 32 11
60 Mike Van Hoeven 6-5 290 Fr. 9 0

RG 69 Jake Donnellon 6-5 300 Fr. 11 3
56 Jimmy Leatiota* 6-3 295 Jr. 23 23

RT 74 Steve Nielsen* 6-8 320 So. 21 11
79 Pete Bergman* 6-9 310 So. 19 0

Are the five expected starters:

Armstrong (LT), Hickey (LG), Tallman ©, Leatiota (RG), Nielsen (RT)

Had Bukoski not gotten injured we would return the top 9 OL players.

We also have a lot of redshirts and new OL recruits, some of who will try to break into the 2-deeps.

I absolutely love the numbers of true frosh and redshirt frosh. With as many as we have maybe a few will break through and contribute. I'm starting to think like '79 that we have a lot of experience, depth and newcomers. That is positive.

Very possible that the OL could be a surprise in 2018.

Newcomers:

I think everyone likes the potential of Sow. Presume he moves into the mix at RT, as a backup to Nielsen.

I wonder if Howie could contend for a backup position at center as a true frosh? Or backup OG?

Any redshirt frosh who have real potential to move into the 2-deeps?
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018 04:41 AM by emu steve.)
06-15-2018 04:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

RE: Position-by-Position: OL
What I find interesting is the left side of the line because Bukoski is injured and I'm not sure that LG is set either.

Plenty of opportunities for big changes there. I need to know more about Donnellon who had 3 starts (correct?) at LG. Does he have the potential? Or did he start some games because Hickey may have been injured (I don't know if he was). Donnellon was a redshirt frosh so if he could play well then it would appear he has a good future...

It is LT which concerns me. I hope numbers = a prospect who can play. We have a lot of young OLs.

I don't think we have heard anything about the (then true) frosh from the spring game.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2018 05:07 AM by emu steve.)
06-18-2018 04:52 AM
EMU03' Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU
Donnellon rotated series with Hickey throughout the season. His 3 starts I do not think were a result of filling in due to injury. He played a lot of snaps last year and LG should be a tight position battle in camp.

Correction: Leatiota may have missed time with injury.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2018 07:11 AM by EMU03'.)
06-18-2018 07:08 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Missing Dervil who played last year and is a senior this year
06-18-2018 09:44 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-18-2018 09:44 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Missing Dervil who played last year and is a senior this year

Was he in the 2-deeps at the end of the season? I didn't see him listed.

I tend to work from the 2 (or 3) deeps from the game notes. Usually it is the top two but when it is three it may be that #3 is injured and listed but may not play.

Like I indicated I look for players from the 2-deeps who are returning and then add newcomers. E.g., a possible scenario would be for Sow to become the 2nd RT. This is where August becomes important which newcomers will vault into the 2-deeps...
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2018 10:55 AM by emu steve.)
06-18-2018 10:48 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(06-18-2018 10:48 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 09:44 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Missing Dervil who played last year and is a senior this year

Was he in the 2-deeps at the end of the season? I didn't see him listed.

I tend to work from the 2 (or 3) deeps from the game notes. Usually it is the top two but when it is three it may be that #3 is injured and listed but may not play.

Like I indicated I look for players from the 2-deeps who are returning and then add newcomers. E.g., a possible scenario would be for Sow to become the 2nd RT. This is where August becomes important which newcomers will vault into the 2-deeps...

I wonder if he was injured his first game was Army and he played in every game after that through the end of the season
06-18-2018 11:56 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

A solid offencive line is the key to any good football team. Eastern has experience, we can only hope that the talent is there with it. Combine a good line with the experienced backfield and the run game should definitely be better. I'm not looking at the stats but I know Eastern's running attack was low in the Mac last year. That needs to change.

I fully expect Eastern to come out against Monmouth and try to assert themselves with the running game. I'm okay with that as long as they don't get hung up on sticking with it even if it is not working.
06-18-2018 06:24 PM
Advertisement

EagleTough Offline
All American

Armstrong could be a pleasant OL surprise. FINALLY HEALTHY and has put on a lot of good weight heading into the summer. Always been an athletic OL....now adding some beef, and hopefully motivated to have a big Senior year.
06-19-2018 07:12 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-19-2018 07:12 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  Armstrong could be a pleasant OL surprise. FINALLY HEALTHY and has put on a lot of good weight heading into the summer. Always been an athletic OL....now adding some beef, and hopefully motivated to have a big Senior year.

Good. It seems that we'll be sold from across the 5 starting OL positions.

As '79 has indicated, the front line has a ton of game experience. Lot of game starts.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2018 04:40 AM by emu steve.)
06-19-2018 10:21 PM
emdypo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: emu eagles
It definitely looks like this team could be as deep at OL and DL as many of us have seen in years. I'm excited for the upcoming year and hopeful that we make another bowl game and compete for the MAC west. It would be awesome to head into say the final two weeks of the season with a chance to win the MAC west. The fact that we can talk about bowl games and depth is a testament to Creighton, he really was the perfect hire for this program. Hopefully he learns how to win some of those close games. It will be interesting to see what happens if the offense, regardless of who starts at quarterback gets off to a slow start; specifically what Creighton will do with his offensive coordinator Keen. Creighton fired McCaslin who by all accounts was a close friend of Creighton's. I can't even describe how frustrating Keen's play calling was last year, I honestly question if he's cut out for BCS coaching after watching some of his decision making last year. I believe if last year's team had Kalen Deboer at OC we are in a bowl game and who knows how many of those close games swing our way. Ultimately the buck stops with Creighton, but its obvious that Creighton excels at leading young men, and getting the absolute most effort from his guys regardless of talent, something Ron English never could do. But Creighton does seem to lack some in-game management qualities that other coaches have, he needs his coordinators and position coaches to help him there, and while I think Neathery is a solid defensive coach, I am scared for our special teams and offensive play-calling moving forward, and can we please find a punter that doesn't have to sprint 15 yards to punt the ball, rugby style sucks.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2018 08:41 PM by emdypo.)
06-20-2018 08:39 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(06-20-2018 08:39 PM)emdypo Wrote:  It definitely looks like this team could be as deep at OL and DL as many of us have seen in years. I'm excited for the upcoming year and hopeful that we make another bowl game and compete for the MAC west. It would be awesome to head into say the final two weeks of the season with a chance to win the MAC west. The fact that we can talk about bowl games and depth is a testament to Creighton, he really was the perfect hire for this program. Hopefully he learns how to win some of those close games. It will be interesting to see what happens if the offense, regardless of who starts at quarterback gets off to a slow start; specifically what Creighton will do with his offensive coordinator Keen. Creighton fired McCaslin who by all accounts was a close friend of Creighton's. I can't even describe how frustrating Keen's play calling was last year, I honestly question if he's cut out for BCS coaching after watching some of his decision making last year. I believe if last year's team had Kalen Deboer at OC we are in a bowl game and who knows how many of those close games swing our way. Ultimately the buck stops with Creighton, but its obvious that Creighton excels at leading young men, and getting the absolute most effort from his guys regardless of talent, something Ron English never could do. But Creighton does seem to lack some in-game management qualities that other coaches have, he needs his coordinators and position coaches to help him there, and while I think Neathery is a solid defensive coach, I am scared for our special teams and offensive play-calling moving forward, and can we please find a punter that doesn't have to sprint 15 yards to punt the ball, rugby style sucks.
Rugby style punting05-nono
06-20-2018 09:29 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-19-2018 07:12 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  Armstrong could be a pleasant OL surprise. FINALLY HEALTHY and has put on a lot of good weight heading into the summer. Always been an athletic OL....now adding some beef, and hopefully motivated to have a big Senior year.

I understand Sow is also at LT.
06-22-2018 12:30 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(06-22-2018 12:30 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I understand Sow is also at LT.

Not quick enough, that's why he's backup RT right now. Most likely ends up at guard when Hickey, Leatiota, and Tallman all graduate after this year. Could very well be a starter next year, inside.

Staff is absolutely going to need to find a starting Juco LT for next year.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2018 06:00 PM by EagleTough.)
06-22-2018 05:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.