Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018 Football Season
Bookmark and Share
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
2018 Football Season
The most important person(s) in the program this year arguably could be Coach Solderich and Coach Mangas.

The o-line is down to Wimmer and Williamson with any real game experience, along with Norris with limited experience. After that it’s freshmen and sophomores with no experience. I don’t envy Coach’s situation at all. He will need to have his best year as a coach, this group is going to have to grow up fast if we are going to have any success.

With a very young inexperienced line Coach Mangas must also coach his butt off. He must develop the physical skills of a QB needed to perform at a high level and he must develop poise, confidence and decision making ability.

I hope the players are in Williamsburg getting ready for August.
06-12-2018 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
RE: 2018 Football Season
Our QB play will make or break the season.
06-12-2018 10:57 PM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
(06-12-2018 09:34 PM)tribefbfan Wrote:  The most important person(s) in the program this year arguably could be Coach Solderich and Coach Mangas.

The o-line is down to Wimmer and Williamson with any real game experience, along with Norris with limited experience. After that it’s freshmen and sophomores with no experience. I don’t envy Coach’s situation at all. He will need to have his best year as a coach, this group is going to have to grow up fast if we are going to have any success.

With a very young inexperienced line Coach Mangas must also coach his butt off. He must develop the physical skills of a QB needed to perform at a high level and he must develop poise, confidence and decision making ability.

Dan Evers started two games at RT. If the young ones aren't ready, Graydon Campbell may be forced back to the OL where he started five times.
06-13-2018 06:16 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(06-13-2018 06:16 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(06-12-2018 09:34 PM)tribefbfan Wrote:  The most important person(s) in the program this year arguably could be Coach Solderich and Coach Mangas.

Dan Evers started two games at RT. If the young ones aren't ready, Graydon Campbell may be forced back to the OL where he started five times.

I hope that we have sufficient depth and skill in the line to allow our linemen to settle in on one side of the ball and stay there this year.
06-13-2018 07:22 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Soldy has shown results year in and year out with the OL and I think we will end up ok there.

I'm much more curious to see how Mangas adapts in his second year as OC. It sounds like the offensive playbook will really have his stamp put on it this year.
06-13-2018 07:33 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(06-13-2018 06:16 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  

If the move with Campbell takes place, I give him a ton of credit. It’s not easy moving from one side of the ball to the other. No doubt we have some young talent on the line, just have to get them ready.
06-13-2018 07:53 AM
Advertisement

TheRealTribe Offline
Special Teams

(06-12-2018 10:57 PM)tribeintexas Wrote:  Our QB play will make or break the season.

While this may be the biggest question mark heading into the season, I don't think it will break us alone (although stellar QB play could definitely "make us").

As mentioned, I think OL play will "make or break" us. We can assume the defense will be a capable unit. If the OL can put it together, there are talented runners on this roster (losing Giles still hurts though) as well as great potential in the receiving corps. If we can make defenses respect the run first, and give the quarterback time to get the ball to the receivers, we will be in a position to succeed. If OL play is shaky then this opens the door for the QB to really break us.

QB play will still be vital to our success I agree on that. I just think it all starts with the big boys up front, and how they perform will create either a positive or negative snowball effect on the offense.

As zable said, I'm interested to see Mangas' development. If we end up having Hefter under center we will have someone who knows the system, with a little bit more traditional skillset than last year. There are weapons on this offense and I expect we will see them used, but I'm curious as to how.
06-13-2018 08:46 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
2018 Football Season
All very interesting points. The QB position was a mess last year with nobody with any real experience.

What compounded it were injuries to Dedmon, Christian, and Caskin along with Funderburke playing sparingly and at less than 100%.

Those are tough cards to play with if you are Mangas. My grade for him last year is probably "incomplete".

All of the QBs had a full spring of practice and there were a lot more plays in the spring that attempted to isolate players and get them in space.

I expect the offense to be much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-13-2018 11:37 AM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

"...Laycock said he and his staff narrowed the competition down to Mitchell, a sophomore, and fellow sophomore Ted Hefter during the spring."
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/tri...up-offense

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
06-17-2018 03:50 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Well, I will hand it (praise) to Mr Madia. He got much more out of Jimmye, in that interview, than most long time sports reporters, in the Richmond & Tidewater area, have gotten in some time. Nice piece.
06-17-2018 04:38 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
I am assuming that he (Madia) just forget about Devonte Dedmon when he said that Jack Armstrong was our top returning WR ..... I know that Jimmye is not forgetting about Devonte!03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2018 04:41 PM by Zorch.)
06-17-2018 04:40 PM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

He was probably just using last season's stats.
06-17-2018 04:42 PM
Tribal Offline

(06-17-2018 04:40 PM)Zorch Wrote:  I am assuming that he (Madia) just forget about Devonte Dedmon when he said that Jack Armstrong was our top returning WR ..... I know that Jimmye is not forgetting about Devonte!03-lmfao
Jack is our top returning WR. Dedmon was out most of the '17 season.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-18-2018 12:13 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

A different take on the interview. The comment by Coach stating the WR’s and RB’s need to help the QB, that the QB can’t shoulder all of the responsibility to perform.

I agree completely. WR’s all have to know their plays and routes and run them precisely. The RBs need to know their blocking assignments so they can provide the additional time for the QB to get the ball off.

I still say the biggest issue is the OL. Garrett Best deciding not to come back has really messed with the experience and depth returning. There are talented bodies on the depth chart. They will need to grow up fast.
06-18-2018 11:55 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(06-18-2018 11:55 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  A different take on the interview. The comment by Coach stating the WR’s and RB’s need to help the QB, that the QB can’t shoulder all of the responsibility to perform.

I agree completely. WR’s all have to know their plays and routes and run them precisely. The RBs need to know their blocking assignments so they can provide the additional time for the QB to get the ball off.

I still say the biggest issue is the OL. Garrett Best deciding not to come back has really messed with the experience and depth returning. There are talented bodies on the depth chart. They will need to grow up fast.

Well that is certainly news. Wasn't he slated to be a starting tackle?
06-18-2018 12:22 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(06-18-2018 12:22 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 11:55 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  A different take on the interview. The comment by Coach stating the WR’s and RB’s need to help the QB, that the QB can’t shoulder all of the responsibility to perform.

Well that is certainly news. Wasn't he slated to be a starting tackle?

Did he graduate?
06-18-2018 12:27 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

2018 Football Season
OT: Christian Parker, brother of Corey and Collin, is out of ND after one season and is now a defensive assistant at Texas A&M. I hope he rents.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-18-2018 08:05 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary

Of all the great passing qb’s that I’ve seen; what has impressed me the most was the receivers. They catch the ball. It’s omportant. How many of you guys will be at the reunion next weekend? I’ll be there.
06-18-2018 08:58 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary

Of all the great passing qb’s that I’ve seen; what has impressed me the most was the receivers. They catch the ball. It’s omportant. How many of you guys will be at the reunion next weekend? I’ll be there.
06-19-2018 09:18 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(06-19-2018 09:18 AM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  

I don’t believe I’ve been around the program as long as you have. I agree, with my limited time following the program the WRs catch the ball, not just the ones they should. They make some tough catches as well. Very few drops. I think they have benefited from some really good coaching of late, probably throughout history as well. I hope Coach Taylor can keep it going.
06-19-2018 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.