Open TigerLinks

Next years team
Bookmark and Share
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
Exclamation Next years team
Anyone concerned that the offense might not be as explosive as the last two years since we have new QB?
04-15-2018 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
RE: Next years team
Yes. Hopefully our O-Line will clear running room, and our QB's will present a big enough problem that Passing game must be honored. We could be devastating with the RB's we have.
04-15-2018 09:34 AM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
not concerned, but i think we've seen enough to know this offense is not gonna be as explosive as we've grown accustomed to.

but if the defense is improved, it should balance out.
04-15-2018 09:36 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(04-15-2018 09:34 AM)bbqtiger Wrote:  Yes. Hopefully our O-Line will clear running room, and our QB's will present a big enough problem that Passing game must be honored. We could be devastating with the RB's we have.

The offense will have to grow into the season.

Hopefully by mid-year they have it figured out.
04-15-2018 09:37 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Offense may be less explosive, but might be more grinding with really strong running backs. Would not suspect a huge drop on offense and would suspect gains on defense.

Should bode for a winning season. Whether we can pull out the number of close games like last year and run out to 10-1, we will see. UCLA, Navy, Houston were nail biters that we won. Caught up with us late as we dropped nail biters to UCF and ISU.

Will be fun.
04-15-2018 09:39 AM
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
We’ve been very spoiled with 2 back to back Killer QBs

Lynch and Ferguson were really talented passers with exceptional down field vision

I have a feeling this years squad will be heavily run oriented

O-Line efficiency is going to be important to make a run for the conference title
04-15-2018 09:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TiminMem23 Offline
All American

(04-15-2018 09:23 AM)mapdude Wrote:  Anyone concerned that the offense might not be as explosive as the last two years since we have new QB?

Of course. The offense loses one of the most prolific QBs in program history and arguably the best WR in program history. QB is the most important position on the field.

Yes, the offense will take a pretty big step back. Hopefully the defense improves to counterbalance that a bit.
04-15-2018 09:44 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Yes, but i have to admit i've only seen the spring game.

Last year, we averaged 45.5 points. I bet we will be lucky to average 30 this upcoming year. Might average more like 25.

I have a feeling that tiger fans will appreciate qbs like paxton lynch and ferguson, because, imho, none of the current qbs are on that level. Yet.

I saw no improvement in david moore. He had a better start than the rest of the qbs, but then he trailed off. His best play was running for about 30-40 yards after being forced out of the pocket. He led the tigers to a TD on his first drive, but one of his passes that continued the drive would not have happened in a real game, because he would have been sacked.

Brady white didn't look any better than moore, but he did have a couple good throws downfield. It seemed like he was 1 for 10 passing to start the game.

Didn't see much of connor adair, but he didn't look that impressive.

Brady davis got heat from norvell after one play. He won't be the qb.

It's hard to tell how good the defense is, but i expect it will be better than last year especially in the secondary.

I could see the tigers with at 4-5 losses next year and not representing the west in the AAC championship game.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2018 10:01 AM by tmoneyinmphs.)
04-15-2018 09:47 AM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Some good posts.
We will have a shaky QB with a very good supporting cast from his ten teammates at the other positions.
Can not replace Miller. But receiving corps will be solid with some good playmakers.
Henderson is a stud. The other rbs are most capable.
04-15-2018 10:04 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

In comparison to last year, ferguson and miller quickly scored two touchdowns and then sat the rest of the spring game. Ferguson was on target and ready to start the season. Miller electrified the crowd with a very nice juke move and also scored one or both touchdowns.

There was none of that this year.

When we ran the ball, we got 1 to 2 yards most of the time.

Nobody really stood out offensively.

Of our top 3 receivers last year, only pollard is returning. We got some young guys though that i feel will step up as the season progresses. I'm hoping sam craft can step up, stay healthy and bring his experience to the team.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2018 10:33 AM by tmoneyinmphs.)
04-15-2018 10:08 AM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-15-2018 10:08 AM)tmoneyinmphs Wrote:  In comparison to last year, ferguson and miller quickly scored two touchdowns and then sat the rest of the spring game. Ferguson was on target and ready to start the season. Miller electrified the crowd with a very nice juke move and also scored one or both touchdowns.

There was none of that this year.

When we ran the ball, we got 1 to 2 yards most of the time.

Nobody really stood out offensively.

Of our top 3 receivers last year, only pollard is returning. We got some young guys though that i feel will step up as the season progresses.
Some good points tmoney.
I feel our WRs will be good. There are some good ones returning other than Pollard. Williams, coxie, slade- they return (with craft?)
Magnifico really needs to stay healthy . He is only returning TE with significant experience. But , there appears to be many other young and good TEs on squad. At least, one should step up and have a good year.

In nashville scrimmage, our D did stuff the run. Our rbs looked more impressive as receivers. Henderson had a beautiful run after catch on a screen play for a TD. Weaver and Taylor both made some good catches.
04-15-2018 10:31 AM
Advertisement

Newton card Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ncaa
(04-15-2018 09:23 AM)mapdude Wrote:  Anyone concerned that the offense might not be as explosive as the last two years since we have new QB?

Absolutely not. People were saying same thing spring after lynch left, spring was about like this one. Offense will be business as usual. Ps, my opinion David Moore is gonna be great. Shhhhh
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2018 10:45 AM by Newton card.)
04-15-2018 10:44 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

Yes, sam craft will be returning. I'm hoping his experience and skills (if he can stay healthy) will help out. I saw williams, slade and antonio gibson make catches. If i remember right, antonio gibson made the really tight catch for the first TD while tj carter was trying to lock him down.

Henderson didn't play in the spring game. He is another one that gets banged up a lot. The two taylors ran most of the time. I think weaver was in there too.

I think we will be ok at TE with several guys with potential. Sean dykes stepped up last year. And joey is magnifico.
04-15-2018 10:47 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

(04-15-2018 10:44 AM)Newton card Wrote:  

Absolutely not. People were saying same thing spring after lynch left, spring was about like this one. Offense will be business as usual. Ps, my opinion David Moore is gonna be great. Shhhhh

You must have some connection to david moore that you are not sharing with us.

Anyways, people feared lynch leaving until they saw ferguson throw the ball. It's not the same as this year.

The biggest concern that year was how good was the coach gonna be. NOrvell's first spring game started out like Larry Porter was the coach. Very unorganized and lots of penalties to start the game. However, the offense was moving the ball up and down the field once they got past all the bs to start the game.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2018 10:57 AM by tmoneyinmphs.)
04-15-2018 10:50 AM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

dont worry grasshoppers
04-15-2018 11:20 AM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
Personally I like David Moore’s abilities. In a scrimmage situation where they just have to touch him to get him down, you can’t gauge his ability to run the ball and break tackles, etc.

I think that we are going to enjoy having a true dual-threat QB. I expect him to win the starting job. He is not as good as South Florida’s QB last year, but he does some of the same stuff.

Just my own thoughts.
04-15-2018 12:55 PM
Advertisement

BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes...our threat of a running QB with a row of stud RBs will make opposing teams stack the box and press, that’s where if Moore can do solid passing, he can find open WRs for big chunks. We won’t be Lamar Jackson-like Louisville teams for sure but there’s a good chance of being a capable offense. I think our defense will be greatly improved
04-15-2018 01:22 PM
TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-15-2018 09:47 AM)tmoneyinmphs Wrote:  Yes, but i have to admit i've only seen the spring game.

Last year, we averaged 45.5 points. I bet we will be lucky to average 30 this upcoming year. Might average more like 25.

I have a feeling that tiger fans will appreciate qbs like paxton lynch and ferguson, because, imho, none of the current qbs are on that level. Yet.

I saw no improvement in david moore. He had a better start than the rest of the qbs, but then he trailed off. His best play was running for about 30-40 yards after being forced out of the pocket. He led the tigers to a TD on his first drive, but one of his passes that continued the drive would not have happened in a real game, because he would have been sacked.

Brady white didn't look any better than moore, but he did have a couple good throws downfield. It seemed like he was 1 for 10 passing to start the game.

Didn't see much of connor adair, but he didn't look that impressive.

Brady davis got heat from norvell after one play. He won't be the qb.

It's hard to tell how good the defense is, but i expect it will be better than last year especially in the secondary.

I could see the tigers with at 4-5 losses next year and not representing the west in the AAC championship game.

Awesome analysis as usual. Amazing how you are able make such expert analysis off 40 snaps in a spring game.
04-15-2018 01:28 PM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

Ferguson was the most talented QB we've ever had here, so a slight drop off is to be expected. But I expect the D to step up in a big way
04-15-2018 01:36 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
Norvell is going to have our offense as explosive as ever with better defense.
04-15-2018 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.