Chasse caved in ...
03-25-2018 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Chasse caved in ...
If Chasse believes it is best for our program I'm all in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app
03-25-2018 07:16 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-25-2018 07:16 PM)mjs Wrote:  If Chasse believes it is best for our program I'm all in.

Yes, because former Razorback players have a long illustrious history of success at the Division 1 level.
03-25-2018 07:19 PM
TroJams Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Little Rock
If this hire was done to get the Walton's to donate money, we may now have a football team in our future...03-shhhh 05-stirthepot
03-25-2018 07:27 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
If this hire was to get a football team, I may remember that Fort Smith is a lot shorter trip than Little Rock.
03-25-2018 07:45 PM
TroJams Offline
Special Teams

(03-25-2018 07:45 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  If this hire was to get a football team, I may remember that Fort Smith is a lot shorter trip than Little Rock.

As is UCA for me. 03-idea
03-25-2018 07:51 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

If this is true, I'm thrilled. I was 100% for Darrell Walker until I was told that he acted inappropriately toward Chasse and the chancellor when he didn't get the job last time. I assumed he had "burned that bridge" by his actions. I should add that I got this info third hand, not from Chasse or Chancellor Anderson, so I can't even say for sure if the information was true. But, like I said yesterday, if Chasse can move on for the good of the program, he's a bigger man than me. Darrell could be the best thing that ever happened to this program. He is well known and liked in LR. He has NBA experience and is a successful college coach. LR is home, and he isn't going anywhere if he's successful. His name, alone, well sell tickets and give us great exposure in Little Rock.
03-25-2018 08:53 PM
Sheridan Dave Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(03-25-2018 07:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 07:16 PM)mjs Wrote:  If Chasse believes it is best for our program I'm all in.

Yes, because former Razorback players have a long illustrious history of success at the Division 1 level.

I've been on board with this program since the days of Ron K. in the early days out at Barton. Maybe time to move on. I really thought the move over the past few years was to distance our program from the Hogs but I guess big money changes that.
03-25-2018 08:55 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-25-2018 08:55 PM)Sheridan Dave Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 07:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I've been on board with this program since the days of Ron K. in the early days out at Barton. Maybe time to move on. I really thought the move over the past few years was to distance our program from the Hogs but I guess big money changes that.

I've been here since Ron K as well. Darrell is 35 years removed from being a hog. I can just view it as a "youthful indiscretion". He has had a ton of life experience as an NBA player, NBA scout, NBA coach, minor league coach, and now a college coach. I think his qualifications for the job are much more than just being a former pig. If he brings money to a program, that desperately needs it, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I hope you decide not to "move on".
03-25-2018 09:04 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-25-2018 08:53 PM)mjs Wrote:  If this is true, I'm thrilled. I was 100% for Darrell Walker until I was told that he acted inappropriately toward Chasse and the chancellor when he didn't get the job last time. I assumed he had "burned that bridge" by his actions. I should add that I got this info third hand, not from Chasse or Chancellor Anderson, so I can't even say for sure if the information was true. But, like I said yesterday, if Chasse can move on for the good of the program, he's a bigger man than me. Darrell could be the best thing that ever happened to this program. He is well known and liked in LR. He has NBA experience and is a successful college coach. LR is home, and he isn't going anywhere if he's successful. His name, alone, well sell tickets and give us great exposure in Little Rock.

And if he fails? All those Little Rock money types who offered to help pay his salary going to help pay his buyout?

(Those same people offered Mohajir the same deal. "Hire Walker and we'll pay part of his salary")
03-25-2018 09:18 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(03-25-2018 09:18 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 08:53 PM)mjs Wrote:  If this is true, I'm thrilled. I was 100% for Darrell Walker until I was told that he acted inappropriately toward Chasse and the chancellor when he didn't get the job last time. I assumed he had "burned that bridge" by his actions. I should add that I got this info third hand, not from Chasse or Chancellor Anderson, so I can't even say for sure if the information was true. But, like I said yesterday, if Chasse can move on for the good of the program, he's a bigger man than me. Darrell could be the best thing that ever happened to this program. He is well known and liked in LR. He has NBA experience and is a successful college coach. LR is home, and he isn't going anywhere if he's successful. His name, alone, well sell tickets and give us great exposure in Little Rock.

And if he fails? All those Little Rock money types who offered to help pay his salary going to help pay his buyout?

(Those same people offered Mohajir the same deal. "Hire Walker and we'll pay part of his salary")

Very good point! This choice is fraught with perils!
03-25-2018 09:35 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I have a feeling they are paying for the buyout of our last coach. His chances of "failing" are no worse than any other random coach we might hire. He will bring money and interest to our program, something we desperately need. You have a large base of support in NE Arkansas, something we don't have. You can get 25,000 out for football. We have a base of fans that likely numbers in the 100's. I think he has proven he can coach, he will bring folks out to the games, and he will bring money into our program. He is the "perfect" hire for our needs at UALR.
03-25-2018 10:37 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-25-2018 10:37 PM)mjs Wrote:  

I have a feeling they are paying for the buyout of our last coach. His chances of "failing" are no worse than any other random coach we might hire. He will bring money and interest to our program, something we desperately need. You have a large base of support in NE Arkansas, something we don't have. You can get 25,000 out for football. We have a base of fans that likely numbers in the 100's. I think he has proven he can coach, he will bring folks out to the games, and he will bring money into our program. He is the "perfect" hire for our needs at UALR.

You are not attracting NEW Fans. You are attracting Razorback fans.

There is a huge difference. New fans are likely to stick around regardless the coach. Razorback fans will last only as long as walker. Plus, the whole idea that its good to hire a coach that will retire there is silly. You don't want a coach to retire there. You want him to have a few good years and run for a better job.
03-25-2018 11:07 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-25-2018 11:07 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

There is a huge difference. New fans are likely to stick around regardless the coach. Razorback fans will last only as long as walker. Plus, the whole idea that its good to hire a coach that will retire there is silly. You don't want a coach to retire there. You want him to have a few good years and run for a better job.

The one and done formula has certainly worked for you guys (at least in football), but it was an unmitigated disaster for us. One great season and then we were left with a bunch of role players and a total rebuild this season. Having Joe Foley here for 15 years has been unbelievable for our women's program. I guess folks in Jonesboro aren't as positive about the benefits of having the same women's coach for almost 20 years.
03-25-2018 11:12 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-25-2018 11:12 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-25-2018 11:07 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

The one and done formula has certainly worked for you guys (at least in football), but it was an unmitigated disaster for us. One great season and then we were left with a bunch of role players and a total rebuild this season. Having Joe Foley here for 15 years has been unbelievable for our women's program. I guess folks in Jonesboro aren't as positive about the benefits of having the same women's coach for almost 20 years.

There is a huge difference in a Women's Basketball coach who is extremely successful and a Men's. Simply put, the odds that a Mid major women's coach gets hired out by a better program are much lower. It's far more difficult to get noticed in the Women's games

Any success in the Men's game gets you immediate eyeballs. If you have a coach in football or Men's Basketball that has been there for 15 years, you likely have a coach who has only had enough fleeting success to keep him from being fired, but not enough success to earn notice from larger programs.

It's far better for the Little Rock brand to hear people at the Final Four talk about how Porter Moser used to coach there, and Chris Beard for that matter than to have a coach that no one outside of the state of Arkansas has ever heard of.
03-25-2018 11:19 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

Chasse caved in ...
I’m going to be honest here.

This will fail.

Walker will get out coached and not bring in any super stars just like wes.

The money will never show up and the fans that were going to watch Todd Day coach a team will show up 2 times and never come back.

When it totally tanks the money will dry up and we will not be able to get rid of Joe Kline or whatever x hog we are hiring.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-26-2018 06:00 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
If it is Walker, and if Chasse is bringing him in based upon his successful D2 coaching, then he could have brought in a ton of coaches who were closer at hand and had more success even than that. And in that case the real reason is the second reason - that he is an in-state hero.

There are two BIG reasons for me not to be happy about his bringing in an in-state hero. First, he ain't my hero, coming as he does from the Sausage Factory. He is the enemy. Second, what is there in our recent track record with local heroes that should cause me to be optimistic about the move?
03-26-2018 07:26 AM
eh9198 Offline
All American

1. I hate the Razorback program, not any of the people and coaches involved in it. Doing so means you’re confusing the warriors with the war.
2. There was a time early on when many of us were excited about a coach who has done extremely well like Walker, coming in.
03-26-2018 07:52 AM
Karl B Offline
1st String

I Root For: UALR , Ark Tech
Well since we are the base and all of us don’t agree I think it’s safe to say if Walker is the coach the base is not energized. I have mixed emotions if it’s Walker. Will he actually go out and recruit and does anyone under 25 know him from the man on the moon. My kids have never heard of him and that’s a college age and two high schoolers. We’ll see, I was sure it was going to be Shertz so we’ll know for sure when they’re a an official announcement. And I wasn’t super excited about Shertz.
03-26-2018 08:49 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2018 08:49 AM)Karl B Wrote:  Well since we are the base and all of us don’t agree I think it’s safe to say if Walker is the coach the base is not energized. I have mixed emotions if it’s Walker. Will he actually go out and recruit and does anyone under 25 know him from the man on the moon. My kids have never heard of him and that’s a college age and two high schoolers. We’ll see, I was sure it was going to be Shertz so we’ll know for sure when they’re a an official announcement. And I wasn’t super excited about Shertz.

So it sounds like you had some "inside" info about Schertz. His resume sure sounded impressive. Why were you not excited about him? Not sure what folks on here are wanting. Don't we want a coach who has proven he can win on the college level?
03-26-2018 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.