03-20-2018 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Full Penny Hardaway press conference video
Here is another version, taken by a friend of mine.

03-20-2018 12:15 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
I have been trying to follow but any updates on his staff?
03-20-2018 12:43 PM
Eagle4Christ Offline
Thread killer

I Root For: Memphis
(03-20-2018 12:43 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  I have been trying to follow but any updates on his staff?

Tony Madlock, former Memphis point guard and Assistant Coach at Ole Miss, almost certain.
03-20-2018 12:45 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-20-2018 12:45 PM)Eagle4Christ Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 12:43 PM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  I have been trying to follow but any updates on his staff?

Tony Madlock, former Memphis point guard and Assistant Coach at Ole Miss, almost certain.

Yep, Madlock will be one. Was actually the interim HC at Ole Miss when Kennedy was fired a few weeks ago.

The other two spots still seem to be up for grabs.
03-20-2018 12:46 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
welcome back memphis! I Think this is a great hire personally, he'll rejuvinate the fans and boosters. AAC needs a top 25 memphis.
03-20-2018 12:48 PM
Advertisement

STL_Wave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
Madlock seems solid with 20+ years college coaching and has some history with top recruits.

Reaction from the Memphis fans?
03-20-2018 01:12 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-20-2018 01:12 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  Madlock seems solid with 20+ years college coaching and has some history with top recruits.

Has to be almost 100% positive. He is another one of our own. He and Penny played together at Memphis.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 01:16 PM by TripleA.)
03-20-2018 01:13 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(03-20-2018 01:12 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  Madlock seems solid with 20+ years college coaching and has some history with top recruits.

100% positive for Tony. He's a Memphis kid.

The only name I've heard floated that Memphis fans are against is Tony Barbee. Cal did his best to get Memphis to hire Barbee when he left in 2009.

The only former Cal assistant I've heard mentioned that Memphis fans are good with is Steve Roccaforte. Was an assistant under Cal at Memphis and is now the Associate HC at Va Tech under Buzz Williams.
03-20-2018 01:16 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-20-2018 01:16 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

The only name I've heard floated that Memphis fans are against is Tony Barbee. Cal did his best to get Memphis to hire Barbee when he left in 2009.

The only former Cal assistant I've heard mentioned that Memphis fans are good with is Steve Roccaforte. Was an assistant under Cal at Memphis and is now the Associate HC at Va Tech under Buzz Williams.

Yeah, I'm fine with Roccaforte, too. Haven't heard any other names lately.
03-20-2018 01:20 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis

Tony Barbee used really poor judgement when he troll tweeted Auburn after their 40 point loss. I'm no Bruce Pearl fan, but Bruce was able to do something at Auburn that Barbee could never pull off, despite the fact that the SEC is much tougher today than when Barbee was there. So Auburn wins a tough SEC, goes to the NCAA, all while one of Pearls best players is out for the season with a broken foot. I;m not sure what Barbee thought he was laughing at, because Auburn is way better off now than when he was at the helm. And when you are vying for an AC job at a premier school, it would be best not to bring that up in a laughing matter sort of way.
03-20-2018 01:26 PM
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(03-20-2018 01:26 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

Tony Barbee used really poor judgement when he troll tweeted Auburn after their 40 point loss. I'm no Bruce Pearl fan, but Bruce was able to do something at Auburn that Barbee could never pull off, despite the fact that the SEC is much tougher today than when Barbee was there. So Auburn wins a tough SEC, goes to the NCAA, all while one of Pearls best players is out for the season with a broken foot. I;m not sure what Barbee thought he was laughing at, because Auburn is way better off now than when he was at the helm. And when you are vying for an AC job at a premier school, it would be best not to bring that up in a laughing matter sort of way.

It was during the game and apparently he was tweeting while watching the UK show on Showtime. That's the story anyway.

Besides, Tony already has a better AC job than Memphis.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 01:33 PM by aTxTIGER.)
03-20-2018 01:33 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
Interesting that he only got a 3 year deal. Will that hurt recruiting?
03-20-2018 01:37 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(03-20-2018 01:37 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  Interesting that he only got a 3 year deal. Will that hurt recruiting?

I dont think it will this summer. If they dont extend him after this season then I dont think there is any doubt it would.

My guess is that they will extend him after year 1 if it isnt a trainwreck.
03-20-2018 01:43 PM
H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
(03-20-2018 01:20 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Yeah, I'm fine with Roccaforte, too. Haven't heard any other names lately.

I have no inside info, but I'm not sure Coach Roc leaves Buzz to take a similar position with Memphis.

He's already been at VT one season longer than he was at Memphis, for perspective.
03-20-2018 01:45 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2018 01:43 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 01:37 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  Interesting that he only got a 3 year deal. Will that hurt recruiting?

I dont think it will this summer. If they dont extend him after this season then I dont think there is any doubt it would.

Just kinda interesting why you wouldn't do 5 or 6 with a buyout matching whatever the 3 year one is. Gives a bigger sense of confidence to everyone.
03-20-2018 01:45 PM
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(03-20-2018 01:45 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  

Just kinda interesting why you wouldn't do 5 or 6 with a buyout matching whatever the 3 year one is. Gives a bigger sense of confidence to everyone.

Just my opinion but I'm not concerned with Penny's contract details too much. He's already a rich man.

I am much more interested in the assistant's salary pool and the recruiting budget. Also, I wonder if some of the cost cutting that's gone on over the last 2 years is reversed in any way.
03-20-2018 01:47 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2018 01:47 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Just my opinion but I'm not concerned with Penny's contract details too much. He's already a rich man.

I am much more interested in the assistant's salary pool and the recruiting budget. Also, I wonder if some of the cost cutting that's gone on over the last 2 years is reversed in any way.

I get what you are saying, but that's exactly my point. If Penny isn't worried about money, then why not agree to a longer term deal with a lower buyout if he doesn't succeed. Giving a new coach a 3 year contract to go recruit players that will be there for 4 years will hurt recruiting a bit. Granted it will be better than Tubby just because he's Penny, but you know it will come up.
03-20-2018 01:49 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(03-20-2018 01:49 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  

I get what you are saying, but that's exactly my point. If Penny isn't worried about money, then why not agree to a longer term deal with a lower buyout if he doesn't succeed. Giving a new coach a 3 year contract to go recruit players that will be there for 4 years will hurt recruiting a bit. Granted it will be better than Tubby just because he's Penny, but you know it will come up.

I think it will but, being so late in the recruiting cycle this year, I dont think its a big deal at the moment. But let me stress AT THE MOMENT. I honestly think they will need to extend him before Signing Day next year if it isnt a complete trainwreck.
03-20-2018 01:53 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2018 01:53 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 01:49 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 01:43 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I dont think it will this summer. If they dont extend him after this season then I dont think there is any doubt it would.

I think it will but, being so late in the recruiting cycle this year, I dont think its a big deal at the moment. But let me stress AT THE MOMENT. I honestly think they will need to extend him before Signing Day next year if it isnt a complete trainwreck.

Agree. The hype will help him this year. But if he underperforms this year and the admin balks at extending him ... that's going to hurt.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 01:55 PM by Stickboy46.)
03-20-2018 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.