Not unexpected...

03-19-2018 07:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: JEIII exploring the L...
He'd be crazy not to go through the process. As long as he doesn't sign with an agent he's good to come back, and it will be a great experience regardless.

03-19-2018 09:31 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
How could anyone who saw the last 5 games think he is not a first round pick?

Sarcasm!

03-19-2018 11:06 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-19-2018 11:06 PM)doss2 Wrote:  How could anyone who saw the last 5 games think he is not a first round pick?

Sarcasm!

He'll be a roll player in the NBA. Though he struggled with his jumper late in the season he's been a good jump shooter his entire career. He'll be asked to come off the bench, hit open jumpers and defend. I guarantee you every NBA scout that watched UC came away impressed with his defense. He was the best wing defender UC has had hear in my lifetime. I think Imac was better 1 on 1, but when you combine Evans on the ball defense with his ability to help other and make weakside plays, nobody got to his level. I would be shocked if there is not a role for a long, 3 and D guard like Evans in the league.

03-20-2018 07:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
If he's a first rounder, he should go. If he's a second rounder, he definitely has offensive things he needs to work on that could get him into the first round next year and get guaranteed money. I really like his game but think he needs another year to improve his offense and to become more of a leader on this team. That said (or written), I don't blameEvans if he decides to go even if he's a second rounder. These guys dream of going to the league and, the way the NBA pays developing guys, he could do it while making a darned good living.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 07:31 AM by bearcatdp.)
03-20-2018 07:29 AM
bearcatjim Offline
Exquisitely Aware

I Root For: Quartinos
Donators
I know everyone thinks he’s gone but if Trevon Blueitt and Grayson Allen came back last year, then there is certainly reason to believe Evans will come back too.

03-20-2018 07:47 AM
Advertisement

Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Chad Brendel was on with Mo yesterday and he said from everyone he's talked to Evans is as good as gone. (paraphrasing)

Maybe Chad/GameTime21 will chime in on here?

03-20-2018 07:52 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
That will be a ticket to the D league. He's nowhere near ready, (particularly mentally) to handle a 72 game season. He couldn't keep up with the Nevada guys the final 11.

03-20-2018 09:02 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(03-20-2018 07:29 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  If he's a first rounder, he should go. If he's a second rounder, he definitely has offensive things he needs to work on that could get him into the first round next year and get guaranteed money. I really like his game but think he needs another year to improve his offense and to become more of a leader on this team. That said (or written), I don't blameEvans if he decides to go even if he's a second rounder. These guys dream of going to the league and, the way the NBA pays developing guys, he could do it while making a darned good living.

Agreed that he needs another year to improve his offense. But where will he learn it? Not from UC's coaching staff, that's for sure.

Cronin's an elite defensive coach, but I've yet to see anyone who improved significantly on the offensive side of the ball under him.

03-20-2018 09:39 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Prior to the advent of the D League (now G League) leaving early was often a mistake for guys who fell out of the 1st round. I don't think it is as much of an issue now, especially as the league has had several years to develop. There's a lot of former G League guys on NBA rosters now (the league frequently shuffles players back and forth). Players can hone their craft against quality talent with quality coaching without dealing with the rigors of being a student.

Frankly there's no guarantee that even if Evans stayed another year that the G League would be his ultimate destination (even if he was taken in the 1st round).

03-20-2018 09:56 AM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
I really hope he stays. K-Mart had the same decision and came back and "made" $10 million dollars by going from a late 1st round pick to the #1 pick. I doubt JE could be the #1 pick, but he can improve his position.

03-20-2018 10:23 AM
Advertisement

eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(03-20-2018 10:23 AM)scvanguard1 Wrote:  I really hope he stays. K-Mart had the same decision and came back and "made" $10 million dollars by going from a late 1st round pick to the #1 pick. I doubt JE could be the #1 pick, but he can improve his position.

Name the starting 5 from Kenyon's SR year. Now name the potential starting 5 for JEIII's SR year.

03-20-2018 10:31 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2018 10:23 AM)scvanguard1 Wrote:  I really hope he stays. K-Mart had the same decision and came back and "made" $10 million dollars by going from a late 1st round pick to the #1 pick. I doubt JE could be the #1 pick, but he can improve his position.
He can also hurt his position. NBA draft is dramatically different from 20 years ago. Seniors are not a hot commodity, they have less room to grow.

I would love him to stay but if someone gives him a first round guarantee he'd be crazy to stay; far more risk than potential reward. Given his size, athleticism, career shooting, and defense he's clearly an NBA caliber player. He's much better than SK in every area you'd want for a 6-8th guy on your team. Only thing SK has on him is scorers mentality but you're not looking for your role players to drop 20. He seems like an ideal bench player for the type of teams who'll be drafting in the 20s. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have an 8-10 year NBA career.

03-20-2018 10:37 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-20-2018 10:37 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  
He can also hurt his position. NBA draft is dramatically different from 20 years ago. Seniors are not a hot commodity, they have less room to grow.

I would love him to stay but if someone gives him a first round guarantee he'd be crazy to stay; far more risk than potential reward. Given his size, athleticism, career shooting, and defense he's clearly an NBA caliber player. He's much better than SK in every area you'd want for a 6-8th guy on your team. Only thing SK has on him is scorers mentality but you're not looking for your role players to drop 20. He seems like an ideal bench player for the type of teams who'll be drafting in the 20s. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have an 8-10 year NBA career.

My feeling as well. To me his defense this year is going to get him drafted. He has a good track record as being an accurate spot up shooter, he was so big time on defense all season. With his size he seems like an ideal bench 3 and D guy.

03-20-2018 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-20-2018 10:43 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

My feeling as well. To me his defense this year is going to get him drafted. He has a good track record as being an accurate spot up shooter, he was so big time on defense all season. With his size he seems like an ideal bench 3 and D guy.

But is Evans fine with going to a team that sees him as a 3 and D guy? Or does he want to be more of a priority offensively? If it's the latter then he needs to come back another year.

I think we can all agree he isn't a future NBA star but I think he could be a pick in the teens with another year of development.

03-20-2018 10:56 AM
Loco Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I want him to stay for selfish reasons however Jacob needs to do what is the best for him. He can definitely play in the NBA and even if he washed after a few years, he is good enough to play in the Top Leagues overseas and make good $.

03-20-2018 11:12 AM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
I’d love for him to stay, but sending a guy to the league early doesn’t hurt recruiting.

03-20-2018 11:18 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
The two aspects of staying is he presumably will get his degree, and will be a top 25 guys coming into next year which will up his national exposure. That said, he has to seize the opportunity in the spotlight. Right now he's not a shutdown defender(as we've seen the past couple weeks), and is not an elite level scorer who can be counted on for 20 a game or close. He's a very good defender when he applies himself, and a streaky scorer.

All one needs to do is contrast where he is at compared to SK who is a guy who has struggled to stay above NBA waters God love him. Sk was so much more focused and effective his final year than the year before it was very, very noticeable. He learned from his mistakes and deficiencies and worked to reduce them. Hence, a first team all american. You can also do that in the D league, but you are not going to get pushed, or be on the national radar and tv in the process. Some guys do not adjust to not being the man every night. There's a difference. I'll sum up the reply i got talking to a couple Nba scouts down in Orlando, i asked them if they thought he needed another year, both smiled and nodded.

03-20-2018 12:03 PM
scvanguard1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincy, Oklahoma
(03-20-2018 10:43 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

I definitely agree it's different now vs. 20 years ago, and if he can get a guaranteed contract, which wasn't around when K-Mart was here, you can't pass up guaranteed money.

03-20-2018 12:19 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

Evans didn't prove to be a 1st round pick while playing. He gets to prove himself in the pre draft camps. If he can't, he'll be back.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 12:29 PM by bearcatdp.)
03-20-2018 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.