Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

198 arrested for food stamp fraud in Jacksonville
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
198 arrested for food stamp fraud in Jacksonville
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jack...fraud-ring

Quote:Sheriff Mike Williams announced Tuesday the results of a multi-agency, undercover investigation into the exchange of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits for cash and, in at least one case, cocaine.

From 2012 to 2017, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office detectives, working with federal and state agencies, documented more than 22,000 fraudulent transactions involving $3.7 million in taxpayer money.

"These people are selling or stealing money from hardworking taxpayers right here in our community, and they are abusing a program that is meant to help people," Williams said.

Quote:Attorney General Pam Bondi said her office will be prosecuting those felony cases.

"These schemes are very active in our state, and I look forward to my office holding these defendants accountable," Bondi said in a statement, applauding law enforcement for their efforts. "It is because of their diligence and hard work that this scheme was put to an end."

Investigators said those with SNAP/EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) cards would give their PIN number to the buyer, and that money would then be deposited into their accounts.

Williams said, in most cases, the food-stamp recipient received 50 cents per $1 of SNAP benefit used. Each transaction was recorded.

The operation originally focused on operators of brick-and-mortar stores, but investigators learned that many of the perpetrators became mobile business -- such as meat, seafood and produce vendors -- so they could apply to the U.S Department of Agriculture to accept SNAP benefits. Williams said they sold very little merchandise, as most of their volume was exchanging SNAP benefits for cash.
03-18-2018 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: 198 arrested for food stamp fraud in Jacksonville
#GOOD
03-18-2018 10:31 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
That is exactly how the Dept. of Agriculture fraud prevention is supposed to work. I just wonder why it took five years to build a case against these people.
03-18-2018 11:06 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(03-18-2018 11:06 PM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  That is exactly how the Dept. of Agriculture fraud prevention is supposed to work. I just wonder why it took five years to build a case against these people.

My exact thoughts.

At least after $500,000 worth was taken, something should have been done.
03-18-2018 11:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
This is neither here nor there but if this country hadn't wasted soooooo much money on cradle to grave crap like this, how much further would we be in the cosmos ? We went to the moon nearly 50 years ago! I could have been one of those trying to find answers among the stars. Instead, I work 100 hours a week to support a bunch of people who hate my guts.
03-18-2018 11:15 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-18-2018 11:15 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  This is neither here nor there but if this country hadn't wasted soooooo much money on cradle to grave crap like this, how much further would we be in the cosmos ? We went to the moon nearly 50 years ago! I could have been one of those trying to find answers among the stars. Instead, I work 100 hours a week to support a bunch of people who hate my guts.

it's a blast, isn't it.....

now you know why I told corpshite 'murica and the IRS to go fk themselves.....

there's more than one way to skin that cat.....
03-18-2018 11:22 PM
Advertisement

thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(03-18-2018 11:22 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-18-2018 11:15 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  This is neither here nor there but if this country hadn't wasted soooooo much money on cradle to grave crap like this, how much further would we be in the cosmos ? We went to the moon nearly 50 years ago! I could have been one of those trying to find answers among the stars. Instead, I work 100 hours a week to support a bunch of people who hate my guts.

My cat poofy just went and ran and hid when I read that....lol....(btw - he is better company than any liberal. At least he catches rats and doesn't defend them)
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 11:24 PM by thespiritof1976.)
03-18-2018 11:24 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-18-2018 11:24 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  

My cat poofy just went and ran and hid when I read that....lol....(btw - he is better company than any liberal. At least he catches rats and doesn't defend them)

lol at "poofy" scurrying to the litter box......
03-18-2018 11:26 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(03-18-2018 11:26 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-18-2018 11:24 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  

lol at "poofy" scurrying to the litter box......

Well, when I found him, he was a scrawny malnourished and abused young cat that some POS dumped to fend on his own. I saw he was a bunch of fur and now his name refers more to his expanding waistline.

He is a roach and rat and other misc. bug killing machine. Sadistic too. I come home and there is a roach wing here, a wing there, the entrails are there, the head there, I mean, damn, he abuses and has fun with it.

Oh, and you know what the planned follow up manned mission was going to be after Apollo ? A planned manned fly-by of Venus in the mid 70's. Instead, I have to work till 2am, sleep on the couch in the office for an hour or two, and then do it all over again.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 11:34 PM by thespiritof1976.)
03-18-2018 11:30 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

For anyone interested (and I want to weep when I see what could have been):

Planned manned fly-by of Venus

[Image: mvfcutaway.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 11:33 PM by thespiritof1976.)
03-18-2018 11:32 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

As a kid, my family was on Food Stamps. We never abused it. Both of my parents work. It is just a few people like these guys spoil it for others who do not break the laws and all that. It makes me sad to see stupid people doing this instead of using that help to feed their kids.
03-19-2018 02:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(03-19-2018 02:47 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

As a kid, my family was on Food Stamps. We never abused it. Both of my parents work. It is just a few people like these guys spoil it for others who do not break the laws and all that. It makes me sad to see stupid people doing this instead of using that help to feed their kids.

Almost 200 people isn't "a few"

And this is just one city.
03-19-2018 06:44 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(03-18-2018 08:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jack...fraud-ring

Quote:Sheriff Mike Williams announced Tuesday the results of a multi-agency, undercover investigation into the exchange of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits for cash and, in at least one case, cocaine.

From 2012 to 2017, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office detectives, working with federal and state agencies, documented more than 22,000 fraudulent transactions involving $3.7 million in taxpayer money.

"These people are selling or stealing money from hardworking taxpayers right here in our community, and they are abusing a program that is meant to help people," Williams said.

Quote:Attorney General Pam Bondi said her office will be prosecuting those felony cases.

"These schemes are very active in our state, and I look forward to my office holding these defendants accountable," Bondi said in a statement, applauding law enforcement for their efforts. "It is because of their diligence and hard work that this scheme was put to an end."

Investigators said those with SNAP/EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) cards would give their PIN number to the buyer, and that money would then be deposited into their accounts.

Williams said, in most cases, the food-stamp recipient received 50 cents per $1 of SNAP benefit used. Each transaction was recorded.

The operation originally focused on operators of brick-and-mortar stores, but investigators learned that many of the perpetrators became mobile business -- such as meat, seafood and produce vendors -- so they could apply to the U.S Department of Agriculture to accept SNAP benefits. Williams said they sold very little merchandise, as most of their volume was exchanging SNAP benefits for cash.

My guess is for every one of the people they catch, there's AT LEAST that many they don't.

The whole thing is a total scam.

That's EXACTLY why I think Trump's idea about the food boxes is brilliant.

Instead of my tax $$ going to buy frozen pizzas and Doritos, send a box of food and..... wait for it.... have these people COOK!

Could explain why so many are dead set against it, we wouldn't want people to actually have to put forth some effort.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/c...story.html

Don't know how to cook, take that Obamaphone and youtube a video.

It's high time we who pay the bills start expecting some accountability.
03-19-2018 07:27 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Was a big mistake when we moved from handing out commodity cheese to handing out food stamps then credit cards. We are so ******* stupid.
03-19-2018 07:34 AM
stinkfist Offline

(03-19-2018 07:27 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(03-18-2018 08:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jack...fraud-ring

My guess is for every one of the people they catch, there's AT LEAST that many they don't.

The whole thing is a total scam.

That's EXACTLY why I think Trump's idea about the food boxes is brilliant.

Instead of my tax $$ going to buy frozen pizzas and Doritos, send a box of food and..... wait for it.... have these people COOK!

Could explain why so many are dead set against it, we wouldn't want people to actually have to put forth some effort.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/c...story.html

Don't know how to cook, take that Obamaphone and youtube a video.

It's high time we who pay the bills start expecting some accountability.

no doubt....

how about the #DJTcrockpot as a label for this program.....

both sides would be happy with that tag.... 03-wink
03-19-2018 07:42 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
We used to go to the distribution center, get in line and have beans and rice and cheese and potted meats and canned goods* boxed up and drive home with a car full of food. And we never got fat. Might have helped a little that we had no xbox and played outside from sun up to sun down. MAGA.

*bread, cereals, milk, fruit...
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 07:52 AM by Paul M.)
03-19-2018 07:49 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Glad this fraud was stopped. More than likely just a drop in the bucket.
03-19-2018 08:00 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-19-2018 08:00 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Glad this fraud was stopped. More than likely just a drop in the bucket.
this
03-19-2018 08:16 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
I don't think the intention is bad regarding the program. We got cloths from the church. "Grab your CPO before you go out" was a common phrase in my youth on cold days. IMO, it could be argued that housing and food assistance discourages marriage. Just proves people play by the rules.
03-19-2018 09:28 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
87% of families getting SNAP work or did so at some point last year and will again this year..

What ever the % of abuse is you can bet it's not as much as that goes on with the DOD and many other Gov. programs. There are many forms of welfare in this country and all of it doesn't go to the poor.

Hell you can bet the farm there are land (slum)lords abusing the section 8 program. They know when their renters are abusing the system....as long as they get that government check each month. They keep their mouth shut.

I asked this question before and no one took me up on the answer....a few, actually probably 30+ % on this form received some Pell grant help while in college.....WELFARE. But since it was one of you, its not really a government handout. Those of you that did get a pell grant....I would bet a 1000 to a $1 not all of it went towards your school needs.

Then we have those that wants to spend 100s of billions on going to Mars...what a joke. I would 10x rather my tax dollars go to help feed a family than to see it wasted like that. Yes even with the abuse.

Making America Great Again should be about having enough jobs...LABOR jobs, to get families off government help. Once we do that it will be a lot easier finding those that abuse the system. But till that happens.....

I would rather feed 1000 families for a year and have 70 abuse the system than pay a billion for 10 rockets and see 20% abuse rate. Or to pay farmers (corporations) 10s of billions to not grow or to grow and not sell a crop.

Abuse is in all parts of government....
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 09:40 AM by WKUYG.)
03-19-2018 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.