Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

North Texas Signing Littrell and Baker to New Contracts
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Exclamation North Texas Signing Littrell and Baker to New Contracts
North Texas is in the process of finalizing new contracts for athletic director Wren Baker and football coach Seth Littrell.

The UNT Board of Regents authorized school officials to enter into negotiations with both on new deals during a meeting late last month.

"I've said before that you win with people," Baker said. "Coach Littrell has done a tremendous job during his first two seasons. There's been significant interest from other programs, but he has remained focused on what's he building at UNT. Our student-athletes are excelling athletically, academically and socially.
Our desire is that the finalized contract terms will be competitive not only with our C-USA peers but also with peers from other conferences like the American Athletic Conference and the Mountain West."

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-gree...r-littrell

Thoughts?
03-18-2018 04:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: North Texas Signing Littrell and Baker to New Contracts
He wants to make sure the coach only leaves for a P5 job.New contract to make a move to Houston or Colorado State very unlikely.
03-18-2018 04:37 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
Meh. I'm not yet sold on Littrell. Full disclosure, yes he beat LA Tech last year --by 1 point, just like 2 other CUSA schools did-- and he won an impressive 9 games and a division championship in 2017. But, several of UNT's 9 wins in 2017 could have easily gone the other way (UAB, Army, UTSA & Tech). And it's quite remarkable that Littrell managed to win them all. The irony is, just as Skip Holtz managed to lose all of his close one's in 2017 (1 in Double OT and 3 one-point losses), Littrell managed to "win all the close one's" in 2017.

But, Littrell is also 0-2 in his bowl games, and 0-3 in post season when adding in the CUSA championship game loss. And all of UNT's 2017 losses were blowouts (Troy, FAU, FAU II, Iowa, & SMU). So, all the close wins and blowout losses tell me that Littrell really hasn't done anything to put quality space between him and most CUSA schools. Furthermore, Littrell hasn't recruited well. According to 247 Sports, Littrell and UNT had the 8th best recruiting class in CUSA this past February.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footba...ence=C-USA

So, Littrell strikes me as a guy that got very lucky in 2017, and squeezed the most he could out of a roster full of mediocre players. I truly commend him for that. In 2017, Littrell coached his team up with emotion, instead of relying on talent. And it worked. But based on the talent base and the law of averages in close games, it is not likely to happen again anytime soon for Littrell and UNT. Then the shine will wear off. So, please sign him to a long term contract. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 07:40 PM by HogDawg.)
03-18-2018 07:30 PM
Advertisement

Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-18-2018 07:30 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  Meh. I'm not yet sold on Littrell. Full disclosure, yes he beat LA Tech last year --by 1 point, just like 2 other CUSA schools did-- and he won an impressive 9 games and a division championship in 2017. But, several of UNT's 9 wins in 2017 could have easily gone the other way (UAB, Army, UTSA & Tech). And it's quite remarkable that Littrell managed to win them all. The irony is, just as Skip Holtz managed to lose all of his close one's in 2017 (1 in Double OT and 3 one-point losses), Littrell managed to "win all the close one's" in 2017.

But, Littrell is also 0-2 in his bowl games, and 0-3 in post season when adding in the CUSA championship game loss. And all of UNT's 2017 losses were blowouts (Troy, FAU, FAU II, Iowa, & SMU). So, all the close wins and blowout losses tell me that Littrell really hasn't done anything to put quality space between him and most CUSA schools. Furthermore, Littrell hasn't recruited well. According to 247 Sports, Littrell and UNT had the 8th best recruiting class in CUSA this past February.

So, Littrell strikes me as a guy that got very lucky in 2017, and squeezed the most he could out of a roster full of mediocre players. I truly commend him for that. In 2017, Littrell coached his team up with emotion, instead of relying on talent. And it worked. But based on the talent base and the law of averages in close games, it is not likely to happen again anytime soon for Littrell and UNT. Then the shine will wear off. So, please sign him to a long term contract. 04-cheers

Can't disagree with you HogDawg. Everything went our way for the most part, and we won some exciting games. I'm waiting to see of Littrell can bring in some solid linemen on both sides of the ball. But it does bode well that UNT is finally putting out some serious money for successful coaches and an AD that is lightyears ahead of the previous "dufous", RV.
03-18-2018 07:51 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(03-18-2018 07:30 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  Meh. I'm not yet sold on Littrell. Full disclosure, yes he beat LA Tech last year --by 1 point, just like 2 other CUSA schools did-- and he won an impressive 9 games and a division championship in 2017. But, several of UNT's 9 wins in 2017 could have easily gone the other way (UAB, Army, UTSA & Tech). And it's quite remarkable that Littrell managed to win them all. The irony is, just as Skip Holtz managed to lose all of his close one's in 2017 (1 in Double OT and 3 one-point losses), Littrell managed to "win all the close one's" in 2017.

You make a compelling argument, but remember, North Texas was a young team last season. We bring back the "C-USA Offensive Player of the Year" Mason Fine, and his top 3 receivers. Sure we have questions about our defense and O-line, but we have those issues last seasons too.

If North Texas beats LA Tech again and repeats as the western division champs, will you still feel the same way?
03-18-2018 09:08 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(03-18-2018 09:08 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

You make a compelling argument, but remember, North Texas was a young team last season. We bring back the "C-USA Offensive Player of the Year" Mason Fine, and his top 3 receivers. Sure we have questions about our defense and O-line, but we have those issues last seasons too.

If North Texas beats LA Tech again and repeats as the western division champs, will you still feel the same way?

Nope. I'll consider Littrell the real deal if he has another 9-win season. But I also suspect you'll see him leave if he does.

I'm not trying to dump on your parade. UNT and Littrell certainly EARNED their accolades in 2017. But even the most biased observers have to admit, the chips just fell UNT's way in all of their close games in 2017. That's very unusual for any team.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018 10:28 PM by HogDawg.)
03-18-2018 10:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.