Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MWC to 16? NMSU and UTEP in play?
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
MWC to 16? NMSU and UTEP in play?
By Office of President | Published March 13, 2018
Chancellor Garrey Carruthers
"While at the WAC Basketball Tournament, I met with the Presidents and Athletic Directors of the WAC schools to discuss business as well as the challenges facing the Conference regarding membership. The WAC is initiating an aggressive membership campaign. Commissioner Jeff Hurd said “something was going to happen and happen soon” regarding conference alignments and realignments. One rumor was the Mountain West would become a 16-member conference with two-8 member divisions. NMSU could come into play as a new member, along with UTEP. "

NMSU Chancellor
03-16-2018 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: MWC to 16? NMSU and UTEP in play?
Would be great to see NMSU and El Paso where they belong.
03-16-2018 03:58 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
If Gonzaga (non-football), UTEP and NMSU come over that's 14. Since Hawaii is not pushing for full membership, who are the other two?
03-16-2018 03:58 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(03-16-2018 03:58 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  If Gonzaga (non-football), UTEP and NMSU come over that's 14. Since Hawaii is not pushing for full membership, who are the other two?

BYU would be one.
03-16-2018 04:02 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Doubt it. They tried it 20 years ago, it failed and BYU, Utah, TCU, SMU, Tulsa, & Rice were part of it.
Another 16 team try with worse teams?
03-16-2018 04:02 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(03-16-2018 03:49 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  By Office of President | Published March 13, 2018
"While at the WAC Basketball Tournament, I met with the Presidents and Athletic Directors of the WAC schools to discuss business as well as the challenges facing the Conference regarding membership. The WAC is initiating an aggressive membership campaign. Commissioner Jeff Hurd said “something was going to happen and happen soon” regarding conference alignments and realignments. One rumor was the Mountain West would become a 16-member conference with two-8 member divisions. NMSU could come into play as a new member, along with UTEP. "

NMSU Chancellor

Very much doubt that UTEP would want to lose contact with CUSA Texas schools and go to a conference with NMSU. UTEP wouldn’t gain but would be a loser in almost all respects that matter to Presidents.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 04:10 PM by NoDak.)
03-16-2018 04:08 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(03-16-2018 04:08 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 03:49 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  By Office of President | Published March 13, 2018

NMSU Chancellor

Very much doubt that UTEP would want to lose contact with CUSA Texas schools and go to a conference with NMSU. UTEP wouldn’t gain but would be a loser in almost all respects.

Disagree 100%
UTEP would give both testicles to leave the bohemith CUSA for the MWC
03-16-2018 04:11 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course

NMSU Chancellor

Very much doubt that UTEP would want to lose contact with CUSA Texas schools and go to a conference with NMSU. UTEP wouldn’t gain but would be a loser in almost all respects that matter to Presidents.

If the number 16 is valid I would have to believe numbers 15 and 16 would likely also come from Texas since BYU is unlikely to bring FB back to the MWC.
03-16-2018 04:12 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(03-16-2018 04:12 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

NMSU Chancellor

If the number 16 is valid I would have to believe numbers 15 and 16 would likely also come from Texas since BYU is unlikely to bring FB back to the MWC.

Doesn’t matter, UTEP would be ridiculously dumb to stay in the CUSA if they can get into the MWC. Don’t matter if UTSA and North Texas come too. Come on....
03-16-2018 04:14 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

NMSU Chancellor

I clicked the link. Now I realize this is nothing.
Anyone who reads the linked story will see what I mean.
03-16-2018 04:17 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
If they go to 16, with 2 being UTEP and NMSU, then Rice is almost certainly one of the other schools and the last spot is in play. Don't think they do anything other than add the Zags though.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 04:18 PM by Bogg.)
03-16-2018 04:17 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(03-16-2018 04:17 PM)Bogg Wrote:  If they go to 16, with 2 being UTEP and NMSU, then Rice is almost certainly one of the other schools and the last spot is in play. Don't think they do anything other than add the Zags though.

They aren’t. Read the linked article from March 3. Wishful thinking by the NM St guy.
03-16-2018 04:20 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

NMSU Chancellor

Not true. UTEP would bolt for the MW in a second.
03-16-2018 04:42 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen

NMSU Chancellor

UTEP is a helluva lot closer to NMSU than any of the Texas schools. UTEP and the rest of CUSA would both be breathing a sigh of relief.

If UTEP left, CUSA would try to snatch TXST from the SBC and the SBC would then probably reach out to an unhappy CUSA east school first or add an independent like Liberty.
03-16-2018 04:48 PM
CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green

NMSU Chancellor
Can't believe they are planning to plant alfalfa for the remainder of the Heritage farm. Water costs will be too high. Coastal is the way to go.
03-16-2018 04:50 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(03-16-2018 04:20 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 04:17 PM)Bogg Wrote:  If they go to 16, with 2 being UTEP and NMSU, then Rice is almost certainly one of the other schools and the last spot is in play. Don't think they do anything other than add the Zags though.

They aren’t. Read the linked article from March 3. Wishful thinking by the NM St guy.

Why would he go on record and have that on a website if there were absolutely no truth to it?
03-16-2018 04:52 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(03-16-2018 04:48 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

NMSU Chancellor

UTEP is a helluva lot closer to NMSU than any of the Texas schools. UTEP and the rest of CUSA would both be breathing a sigh of relief.

If UTEP left, CUSA would try to snatch TXST from the SBC and the SBC would then probably reach out to an unhappy CUSA east school first or add an independent like Liberty.

Adding Texas St does nothing for CUSA. CUSA will not replace any departing schools. 14 schools for 1 basketball bid is not working. The lesser schools the better. Losing their western outlier to the MWC would be beneficial to all involved.
03-16-2018 04:56 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(03-16-2018 04:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

NMSU Chancellor

Not true. UTEP would bolt for the MW in a second.

Maybe UTEPs fans want to bolt, but CUSA schools in Texas are needed. Taking most CUSA Texas schools to the MWC would be the best scenario for UTEP and CUSA. Not sure if that would be good for the MWC.
03-16-2018 04:57 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-16-2018 04:11 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

NMSU Chancellor

Very much doubt that UTEP would want to lose contact with CUSA Texas schools and go to a conference with NMSU. UTEP wouldn’t gain but would be a loser in almost all respects.

Disagree 100%
UTEP would give both testicles to leave the bohemith CUSA for the MWC

They would leave for an even bigger behemoth in the MWC? But that would be moot if the MWC recognizes that it has absolutely nothing to gain by expanding unless they could get Gonzaga and BYU for Olympic sports only.
03-16-2018 05:08 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(03-16-2018 04:02 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Doubt it. They tried it 20 years ago, it failed and BYU, Utah, TCU, SMU, Tulsa, & Rice were part of it.
Another 16 team try with worse teams?

The only reason it failed was two-fold.
1. Using Pods
2. When trying to use a 8 team division, there were some Mtn schools that were going to be split up.

However, with today's lineup, the MW could split into nice 8 team divisions with causing the issue from before. I do think that perhaps 16 is too big and even 14 unless we are getting some feed back from some TV networks about certain scenarios and $$ values.
03-16-2018 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.