Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

UK fans seem a little worried about Penny
Bookmark and Share
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
UK fans seem a little worried about Penny
They have a long thread on Rupp's Rafters about Penny taking the HC job and his ability to pull in the high school talent in Memphis.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threa...is.261386/
03-15-2018 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
RE: UK fans seem a little worried about Penny
Yeah, I admit not following recruiting all that closely the last few years, but hasn't Cal whiffed on some of his targets lately?

He probably needs a big class this year to keep the blue kool-aid flowing
03-15-2018 10:20 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

Not just Kentucky, a lot of other high profile basketball schools are nervous. Jonah Jordan just said he’s more certain that James Wiseman goes to Memphis even more than Lomax or Harris. [Althought He said if Marshall leave Wichita State, Lomax will get out of his LOI and be here or go prep] He’s that confident about it. He also said another former Team Penny not named yet will ask out of his school in the next 2 weeks
03-15-2018 10:26 AM
TigersTigers Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
If Wiseman goes to the Tigers then DJ out of OB will got to the Tigers. They are very good friends.

(03-15-2018 10:26 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  Not just Kentucky, a lot of other high profile basketball schools are nervous. Jonah Jordan just said he’s more certain that James Wiseman goes to Memphis even more than Lomax or Harris. [Althought He said if Marshall leave Wichita State, Lomax will get out of his LOI and be here or go prep] He’s that confident about it. He also said another former Team Penny not named yet will ask out of his school in the next 2 weeks
03-15-2018 10:29 AM
tigerblu Offline
1st String

I Root For:
03-15-2018 10:32 AM
Shooters Offline
1st String

(03-15-2018 10:26 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  Not just Kentucky, a lot of other high profile basketball schools are nervous. Jonah Jordan just said he’s more certain that James Wiseman goes to Memphis even more than Lomax or Harris. [Althought He said if Marshall leave Wichita State, Lomax will get out of his LOI and be here or go prep] He’s that confident about it. He also said another former Team Penny not named yet will ask out of his school in the next 2 weeks

Calkins wrote this morning that he would be very surprised if Harris did not follow Penny to Memphis
03-15-2018 10:35 AM
Advertisement

GopherTubby Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis
(03-15-2018 10:14 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  They have a long thread on Rupp's Rafters about Penny taking the HC job and his ability to pull in the high school talent in Memphis.

UK fans should be worried about One-and-done that is going away more than Penny.
03-15-2018 10:36 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

It's nice to be relevant in these recruiting conversations again.
03-15-2018 10:40 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-15-2018 10:40 AM)JTiger Wrote:  It's nice to be relevant in these recruiting conversations again.

B
I
N
G
O
03-15-2018 10:43 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-15-2018 10:35 AM)Shooters Wrote:  

Calkins wrote this morning that he would be very surprised if Harris did not follow Penny to Memphis

Jordan was basically saying that his confident level on Wiseman being a Tiger is higher than even Lomax and Harris coming here, not that they aren’t coming here which is likely they will
03-15-2018 10:46 AM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
(03-15-2018 10:36 AM)GopherTubby Wrote:  
(03-15-2018 10:14 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  They have a long thread on Rupp's Rafters about Penny taking the HC job and his ability to pull in the high school talent in Memphis.

UK fans should be worried about One-and-done that is going away more than Penny.

Exactly
03-15-2018 10:46 AM
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
(03-15-2018 10:29 AM)TigersTigers Wrote:  If Wiseman goes to the Tigers then DJ out of OB will got to the Tigers. They are very good friends.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. Just like we heard for the last year that D.J. would follow the Lawson's to Kansas because they are cousins. D.J. has always wanted to play for Cal.

If I had to bet money, it would be that DJ sticks with his Kentucky commitment, even after Wiseman declares for Memphis, which I expect him to do.

Cal recruited DJ hard - visited DJ I think 4 times this school year, and DJ also went to their midnight madness.

Thing I think Tiger fans should hope for between now and November is that Kentucky recruits over DJ. And DJ sees that maybe he won't start at Kentucky. And DJ sees all these Memphis players graduating next season, and figures he could come here and start immediately.
03-15-2018 10:51 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
I'm not sure Wiseman comes to Memphis. Everybody seems to expect Penny gets all of these kids. He will get some but Wiseman is anybody's guess. Right now he has to be considered a Kentucky lean. Jeffries is up for grabs to, but Penny has ground to make up. I wouldn't be shocked if neither one goes to Memphis. I do think we have a good shot at Lomax and Harris. Still need a big.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 11:02 AM by MemphisTigerPawr.)
03-15-2018 11:00 AM
dwash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I am amazed at how folks think Penny will no longer be able to connect to recruits. If he has been able to connect to Wiseman, DJ Jeffries, Dennis Smith, Jayson Tatum, Bam Adebayo among others...why do they think his connections powers will dissappear in college? He may not get those guys...but he will sign studs.
03-15-2018 11:05 AM
TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

rofl yea I’m sure Penny is saying that

Quote:i didn't take the time to read through every post but listen as the kids say, we good. Wiseman is a top top tier recruit and Jefferies is top tier. They understand what the difference between Cal and Penny is. Penny isn't going to stop helping them, in fact he'd probably say i want you to go to memphis but if you're not UK is the best of the best. You can't go wrong. They want the Kentucky Effect. Don't sweat losing these kids.
03-15-2018 11:10 AM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I just want the Karma train to finally get that rat b-tard and put him in jail.
03-15-2018 11:13 AM
Advertisement

BJD Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UK

Why should we worry about that?

I'm as big a UK fan as you will find and I'm not concerned about it. In fact, I think it should be done away with. If a guy is good enough to go tot he NBA out of high school and the NBA is willing to pay him, then by all means he should be able to go.

UK will still get the best of the players that go to college.

As for being worried about Penny? Not me there either. While I do believe that might mean Wiseman goes to Memphis instead of UK, so what? UK will get someone else that wants to be at UK.

No one player makes or breaks UK. We missed on Mudiay, we got Tyler Ulis instead. We missed on Trey Young, we got Shai Alexander instead. Alexander may be the best freshman point guard in the country right now. He's certainly playing the best.

I hope Penny, or whomever is the next coach at Memphis, brings Memphis back to prominence.

Memphis is a traditional basketball power. College basketball is better when Memphis is good.
03-15-2018 11:29 AM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
(03-15-2018 11:29 AM)BJD Wrote:  

I'm as big a UK fan as you will find and I'm not concerned about it. In fact, I think it should be done away with. If a guy is good enough to go tot he NBA out of high school and the NBA is willing to pay him, then by all means he should be able to go.

As for being worried about Penny? Not me there either. While I do believe that might mean Wiseman goes to Memphis instead of UK, so what? UK will get someone else that wants to be at UK.

No one player makes or breaks UK. We missed on Mudiay, we got Tyler Ulis instead. We missed on Trey Young, we got Shai Alexander instead. Alexander may be the best freshman point guard in the country right now. He's certainly playing the best.

I hope Penny, or whomever is the next coach at Memphis, brings Memphis back to prominence.

Memphis is a traditional basketball power. College basketball is better when Memphis is good.

You're much too reasonable to be posting here.
03-15-2018 11:38 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
The reason Kentucky and Duke should be worried, BJD, is that doing away with the one-and-done - this time even more so since the NBA has the G-League - dramatically levels the playing field.

Let's say the top 20 college players skip their 1-year pit stops on college campuses. The difference between the top 10 players each year - the Aytons, Bagleys, Bambas . . . - and 90th-100th players is vast. But the difference between the 30th best player and the 90th best player is not near as much.

Also, the shoe company payoffs that delivered the kids to Duke and Kentucky and Kansas and Arizona largely go away. No need for Nike and Adidas to funnel money to Anthony Davis' family when AD is not going to Kentucky anyway.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 02:10 PM by Tigx.)
03-15-2018 11:39 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
(03-15-2018 11:29 AM)BJD Wrote:  

That would come across more genuine if your ilk had not run Tubby Smith and Billy Gillespie out of town, basically because they were, wait for it, breaking ky.

To remedy that break, you lifted your skirt and showed your panties to Calipari, who, almost to a man, your ilk crucified as corrupt in 2007.

So...relax...and do not get mad, just take your medicine.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 02:08 PM by Mimi.)
03-15-2018 02:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.