Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monroe, Louisiana : Most Dangerous city in America?
Bookmark and Share
glsjunior74 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GSU
Monroe, Louisiana : Most Dangerous city in America?
Saw this report and was like "wow"
http://www.knoe.com/content/news/Monroe-...20903.html
03-06-2018 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
RE: Monroe, Louisiana : Most Dangerous city in America?
Not surprising, it was #2 on a similar list last year
03-06-2018 01:29 PM
cmaxwellgsu Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Huh. I figured it would be a pretty safe place as long as you weren't quacking.
03-06-2018 01:45 PM
Warhawkman Offline
2nd String

Last year was a crazy year I think there was a gang war or something. So many murders
03-06-2018 02:02 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Myrtle Beach at #13
Little Rock at #24
Atlanta at #51
03-06-2018 02:08 PM
debragga Offline
1st String

(03-06-2018 01:45 PM)cmaxwellgsu Wrote:  Huh. I figured it would be a pretty safe place as long as you weren't quacking.

For outside of the city limits that’s pretty accurate
03-06-2018 02:54 PM
Advertisement

troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
(03-06-2018 02:54 PM)debragga Wrote:  
(03-06-2018 01:45 PM)cmaxwellgsu Wrote:  Huh. I figured it would be a pretty safe place as long as you weren't quacking.

For outside of the city limits that’s pretty accurate

Is that where all the quackers live?
03-06-2018 03:06 PM
HoustonCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-06-2018 01:29 PM)debragga Wrote:  Not surprising, it was #2 on a similar list last year

How the fell does Monroe beat Chicago?
03-06-2018 03:41 PM
HighCountry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
(03-06-2018 03:41 PM)HoustonCajun Wrote:  
(03-06-2018 01:29 PM)debragga Wrote:  Not surprising, it was #2 on a similar list last year

They're judged on crimes per capita. Monroe is much smaller so even though there is less overall crime it affects a higher percentage of the population.
03-06-2018 03:51 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

It is a combination of a lot of things. A lot of the money is fleeing Monroe and moving to West Monroe and north to Sterlington. A lot of the southside of Monroe is fast food, liquor stores, pay day loans, and pawn shops so there isn't much in the way of employment.

There is a mayor that is banking on CenturyLink staying to prop up the community, so he plays small ball to get reelected. The morale of the police force is bad and too much politics so a large portion of the officers are marking time until they can get on with the Ouachita Parish Sheriffs Dept. The city went so far as to drop $80K on a consultant to figure out how to stop crime. I could have told them how to do that for a free lunch. Don't spend $800K on a study for a new civic center and use that money to build a police sub station down in the middle of the high crime area and flood it with police, day and night.

City school board is generally caught up in petty politics and more worried about naming a gym or athletic field after some relative as opposed to demanding good results. Consequently, you don't have an educated work force to attract business. We have a university in town but the students get their degree and leave because the options are not here for them to stay (again the Mayor not thinking long term), and too many folks with hands out as opposed to folks working and increasing the tax base.

There are some positives. There is an effort to revitalize downtown by the river. Some nice apartments are going in and, if they do build and new civic center, it will be the anchor. Plans for a boutique hotel are moving forward for downtown and hopefully restaurants and bars will come along with it. But, until the mayor decides to actually get tough and risk alienating his voting base, nothing much will change.
03-06-2018 04:14 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
You just described Little Rock.
03-06-2018 04:34 PM
Advertisement

InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

(03-06-2018 04:34 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  You just described Little Rock.

Then we feel each other's pain.
03-06-2018 04:36 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(03-06-2018 03:41 PM)HoustonCajun Wrote:  

Per capita mean anything to you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-06-2018 05:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(03-06-2018 04:34 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  You just described Little Rock.
And Macon, GA and so on and so on...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-06-2018 05:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Warhawkman Offline
2nd String

(03-06-2018 04:14 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  It is a combination of a lot of things. A lot of the money is fleeing Monroe and moving to West Monroe and north to Sterlington. A lot of the southside of Monroe is fast food, liquor stores, pay day loans, and pawn shops so there isn't much in the way of employment.

There is a mayor that is banking on CenturyLink staying to prop up the community, so he plays small ball to get reelected. The morale of the police force is bad and too much politics so a large portion of the officers are marking time until they can get on with the Ouachita Parish Sheriffs Dept. The city went so far as to drop $80K on a consultant to figure out how to stop crime. I could have told them how to do that for a free lunch. Don't spend $800K on a study for a new civic center and use that money to build a police sub station down in the middle of the high crime area and flood it with police, day and night.

City school board is generally caught up in petty politics and more worried about naming a gym or athletic field after some relative as opposed to demanding good results. Consequently, you don't have an educated work force to attract business. We have a university in town but the students get their degree and leave because the options are not here for them to stay (again the Mayor not thinking long term), and too many folks with hands out as opposed to folks working and increasing the tax base.

There are some positives. There is an effort to revitalize downtown by the river. Some nice apartments are going in and, if they do build and new civic center, it will be the anchor. Plans for a boutique hotel are moving forward for downtown and hopefully restaurants and bars will come along with it. But, until the mayor decides to actually get tough and risk alienating his voting base, nothing much will change.

West Monroe also hurts because a lot of them want nothing to do with the City of Monroe (even though the two towns should be working together to benefit everyone). Glad there's plans to revitalize downtown though, the location has a lot of potential to be beautiful.
03-06-2018 06:43 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-06-2018 02:08 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Myrtle Beach at #13
Little Rock at #24
Atlanta at #51

Hell, half of the Little Rock murders happen within a couple blocks of UALR's baseball stadium.

Its a very fun place to play baseball...come for the baseball, stay for the lesson in how to best handle a crime scene.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2018 10:21 PM by chiefsfan.)
03-06-2018 10:20 PM
Advertisement

RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(03-06-2018 06:43 PM)Warhawkman Wrote:  
(03-06-2018 04:14 PM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  It is a combination of a lot of things. A lot of the money is fleeing Monroe and moving to West Monroe and north to Sterlington. A lot of the southside of Monroe is fast food, liquor stores, pay day loans, and pawn shops so there isn't much in the way of employment.

West Monroe also hurts because a lot of them want nothing to do with the City of Monroe (even though the two towns should be working together to benefit everyone). Glad there's plans to revitalize downtown though, the location has a lot of potential to be beautiful.

Hate to say but it's a pretty accurate description of Monroe. I hope the downtown area plans go through and are successful, there's a lot of untapped potential along the river. Monroe won't improve as long as the city keeps electing a mayor whose more concerned with giving the keys of the city to the leader of a terrorist organization than fighting crime. All he's doing is making the people who pay taxes move to West Monroe and North Ouachita Parish. The big issue that's coming down the pipe is what's going to happen with the only Fortune 500 company headquartered in Louisiana, CenturyLink, looks to bail out and move to Colorado in like 2020.
03-06-2018 10:41 PM
Golota Offline
Special Teams

It’s mainly the Southside that’s bad. Monroe like most cities crimes are in low income areas. I feel pretty safe in Monroe myself. I live in Houston Suburb and Houston is often voted the fattest city in America. I really don’t take these list that serious. The mayor does suck but Monroe has guys like Mike Echols building stuff in downtown, having restaurant come in town, some Hilton family boutique hotel is coming. Unfortunately he would never win if he ran for Mayor. Monroe metro area is good and Sterlington / West Monroe are doing well. Mayo needs to go.
03-07-2018 06:44 AM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

There is potential in Monroe, being the 2d largest city in North Louisiana. Far enough away from Shreveport to draw in folks. Unfortunately, the leadership of the city plays the typical "we need more money to help the poor folks" card that is seen in a lot of places. Instead of improving the business environment and providing a work force that would attract jobs, the city is more worried about public housing.

Mayo has been Mayor since 2001. The city has lost nearly 5000 residents (almost 10%). In that time, Sterlington has nearly doubled in size. West Monroe has stayed about the same size of just under 15,000 but if you drive over there it looks like a much larger city. Most of the people are living in the Parish.

The only thing keeping things going is CenturyLink. They can move their HQs after 2020. I don't expect them to shut it down because they have invested, and continue to invest, too much money at this site. However, I would expect them to make it a regional HQs or a North American HQs and move all the international/corporate HQ to Denver. Just my gut. Monroe lost State Farm. Monroe lost the Guide Plant. Monroe lost out on a chance for a Smart Car plant. The only good thing from that loss was the owners of the property decided to tear everything down and will market an empty lot. Building didn't lend itself to modern facilities so that might help attract something. But when you have a population where only 86% have a high school education, hard to provide a competent work force for anything.

Going to take years of some "tough love" and leadership with testicular fortitude. Unless we can get some folks with that foresight, instead of folks interested it taking a large slice of a small pie, not sure how much change will happen.
03-07-2018 07:31 AM
Cajun_lannister Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana
(03-07-2018 07:31 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  There is potential in Monroe, being the 2d largest city in North Louisiana. Far enough away from Shreveport to draw in folks. Unfortunately, the leadership of the city plays the typical "we need more money to help the poor folks" card that is seen in a lot of places. Instead of improving the business environment and providing a work force that would attract jobs, the city is more worried about public housing.

Mayo has been Mayor since 2001. The city has lost nearly 5000 residents (almost 10%). In that time, Sterlington has nearly doubled in size. West Monroe has stayed about the same size of just under 15,000 but if you drive over there it looks like a much larger city. Most of the people are living in the Parish.

The only thing keeping things going is CenturyLink. They can move their HQs after 2020. I don't expect them to shut it down because they have invested, and continue to invest, too much money at this site. However, I would expect them to make it a regional HQs or a North American HQs and move all the international/corporate HQ to Denver. Just my gut. Monroe lost State Farm. Monroe lost the Guide Plant. Monroe lost out on a chance for a Smart Car plant. The only good thing from that loss was the owners of the property decided to tear everything down and will market an empty lot. Building didn't lend itself to modern facilities so that might help attract something. But when you have a population where only 86% have a high school education, hard to provide a competent work force for anything.

Going to take years of some "tough love" and leadership with testicular fortitude. Unless we can get some folks with that foresight, instead of folks interested it taking a large slice of a small pie, not sure how much change will happen.

I use to work up in Mer Rouge a lot... At least Monroe is nicer than Bastrop but the area by campus needs a major overhaul on 80
03-07-2018 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.