Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Paying Players
Bookmark and Share
bmf25 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Drexel
Paying Players
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021 01:34 PM by bmf25.)
02-23-2018 11:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

RE: Paying Players
Lee left to win the NCAA Tourney with a Great coach who recently won the NCAA Tourney( even though it was just stripped). Stop Trolling no one cares
02-24-2018 02:53 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

we'll see how far this goes. it doesn't involve joe paterno so the pitch forks might not come out right away. izzo and michigan state have been able to let their scandals blow over. if larry nassar was a men's basketball or football coach they would have burned down their campus months ago.
02-24-2018 05:33 AM
Water Boy Offline
2nd String

For those who might not have noticed, that is now national team player Damion Lee that bmf is talking about
[Image: 1000?mt=.jpg]

It will be interesting to see how this scandal shakes out. It kind of reminds me of doping in cycling where it is hard to really crack down because everyone is doing it. Hopefully they suspend all the offenders and let the mid-majors rule the roost for a few year - I highly doubt it though.

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it might be about COA - which Delaware offers and Drexel does not. So it was actually Delaware who was paying their players. Even with that advantage, they had two unused scholarships coming into the season. So far COA does not appear to be having a huge influence in the CAA. It will be interesting to see if that changes over time. (I believe the CAA schools offering it are UNCW, CoC, Towson, JMU, and Delaware).
02-24-2018 12:20 PM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

sean miller is probably done at arizona. i've seen duke's name floating around. if the networks get ahold of going after somebody like coach k he'll be done too.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018 05:12 PM by hiroshimacarp.)
02-24-2018 05:12 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-24-2018 04:57 PM)bmf25 Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 02:53 AM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  Lee left to win the NCAA Tourney with a Great coach who recently won the NCAA Tourney( even though it was just stripped). Stop Trolling no one cares

Bruiser might have his ethics, but he is sitting on the bench as an assistant now.

I know that you have a history of saying really stupid things, but where'd you get this one from? With all of the things the Bruiser has been criticized for, nobody has every suggested for one second that he was unethical and didn't do things the right way. I think part of the reason why he got fired at UMASS was because he wasn't willing to play the unethical games that Coach Cal played, even if they are friends.
02-24-2018 07:39 PM
J.B. Offline

(02-24-2018 07:55 PM)bmf25 Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 07:39 PM)J.B. Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 02:53 AM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  Lee left to win the NCAA Tourney with a Great coach who recently won the NCAA Tourney( even though it was just stripped). Stop Trolling no one cares

Bruiser might have his ethics, but he is sitting on the bench as an assistant now.

I know that you have a history of saying really stupid things, but where'd you get this one from? With all of the things the Bruiser has been criticized for, nobody has every suggested for one second that he was unethical and didn't do things the right way. I think part of the reason why he got fired at UMASS was because he wasn't willing to play the unethical games that Coach Cal played, even if they are friends.

I was giving Bruiser a compliment. He never had any scandals, and represented the university well. It’s a shame a “good guy” like Bruiser has to be an assistant, while the unethical coaches are rewarded by the NCAA.

I think that MOST coaches are ethical and doing things the right way. In Bruiser's case for not being a head coach, I just think his time was up. He had his chance to show what he could do, and now colleges are hiring younger guys. While I hope to see severe punishments for some of these big time programs, I think we'll find out that it's just a small few. But since they are big time programs, the NCAA will probably go easy on them and just take away past wins, rather than do the right thing and punish them for future seasons.
02-24-2018 08:08 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

I was giving Bruiser a compliment. He never had any scandals, and represented the university well. It’s a shame a “good guy” like Bruiser has to be an assistant, while the unethical coaches are rewarded by the NCAA.

I think that MOST coaches are ethical and doing things the right way. In Bruiser's case for not being a head coach, I just think his time was up. He had his chance to show what he could do, and now colleges are hiring younger guys. While I hope to see severe punishments for some of these big time programs, I think we'll find out that it's just a small few. But since they are big time programs, the NCAA will probably go easy on them and just take away past wins, rather than do the right thing and punish them for future seasons.
J.B. Offline

fredsavage Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: drexel
what's the going rate to pay athletic directors to attend men's basketball senior night?

asking for a friend
02-24-2018 10:25 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

Funny how people who wanted bruiser gone are now wanting him back. His style doesn't work anymore. The NCAA doesn't want that style either. Nothing was going to change.

And while not his fault, let's not forget he had the Jamie Harris/Kevin Phillips debacle on his watch

Sent from my XT1080 using CSNbbs mobile app
02-25-2018 08:04 AM
fredsavage Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: drexel
(02-25-2018 02:54 AM)bmf25 Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 08:08 PM)J.B. Wrote:  I think that MOST coaches are ethical and doing things the right way. In Bruiser's case for not being a head coach, I just think his time was up. He had his chance to show what he could do, and now colleges are hiring younger guys. While I hope to see severe punishments for some of these big time programs, I think we'll find out that it's just a small few. But since they are big time programs, the NCAA will probably go easy on them and just take away past wins, rather than do the right thing and punish them for future seasons.

Bruiser was able to recruit some extremely talented players, and defeat major basketball programs with little resources or support. Not only did the university provide him no support, but his own conference was constructed to benefit VCU, ODU, and George Mason.

2006-2007
Frank Elegar, Chaz Crawford, Bashir Mason, Scott Rodgers, and Dominick Mejia

2011-2012
Chris Fouch, Damion Lee, Franz Massenat, Samme Givens, Derrick Thomas

Just doesn't seem fair that Bruiser is an assistant. He quietly built a successful culture at Drexel and architected two ELITE teams.

2017 - RPI #309
2018 - RPI #246
2019 - RPI #???

players have changed

coaches have changed

the dac has changed

what's the one consistent piece .... ????
02-25-2018 09:00 AM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

(02-23-2018 11:58 PM)bmf25 Wrote:  Although I suspect Damion Lee was paid by Louisville to transfer, which essentially cost Bruiser his coaching job.

The only way Bru was getting another contract was by making The Dance, so no, losing Lee didn’t cost him his job.

(02-25-2018 09:00 AM)fredsavage Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 02:54 AM)bmf25 Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 08:08 PM)J.B. Wrote:  I think that MOST coaches are ethical and doing things the right way. In Bruiser's case for not being a head coach, I just think his time was up. He had his chance to show what he could do, and now colleges are hiring younger guys. While I hope to see severe punishments for some of these big time programs, I think we'll find out that it's just a small few. But since they are big time programs, the NCAA will probably go easy on them and just take away past wins, rather than do the right thing and punish them for future seasons.

Bruiser was able to recruit some extremely talented players, and defeat major basketball programs with little resources or support. Not only did the university provide him no support, but his own conference was constructed to benefit VCU, ODU, and George Mason.

2006-2007
Frank Elegar, Chaz Crawford, Bashir Mason, Scott Rodgers, and Dominick Mejia

2011-2012
Chris Fouch, Damion Lee, Franz Massenat, Samme Givens, Derrick Thomas

Just doesn't seem fair that Bruiser is an assistant. He quietly built a successful culture at Drexel and architected two ELITE teams.

2017 - RPI #309
2018 - RPI #246
2019 - RPI #???

players have changed

coaches have changed

the dac has changed

what's the one consistent piece .... ????

Drexel being in Philadelphia? MOVE THE CAMPUS! THINK HOW MUCH BIGGER FRYTROPOLIS COULD BE WITH THE CAMPUS GONE!
02-25-2018 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.