Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Official Game Thread: The Citadel (L 82-84)
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Official Game Thread: The Citadel (L 82-84)
Date: February 20th, 2018

Time: 7:00 PM

Opponent: The Citadel (9-18, 4-11 SoCon)

Place: Freedom Hall

Television: none

Webcast: ESPN 3

Radio online: 640WXSM.com

Citadel 2017-2018 Schedule

Citadel 2017-2018 Roster

Citadel Message Board
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 10:55 PM by ETSUfan1.)
02-18-2018 11:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
RE: Official Game Thread: The Citadel
No reason this shouldnt be a sellout.
02-19-2018 08:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
(02-19-2018 08:12 AM)brock20 Wrote:  No reason this shouldnt be a sellout.

Agreed. Citadel has put together a team with talent that can beat you if you're not ready to play. They play uptempo, fun to watch basketball

They should ALL sell out this week. Last chance to see home games from a Bucs team that we will remember for a long time. We need to send them into the tournament with the memory of great fan support behind them.
02-19-2018 08:33 AM
BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

Coach Forbes on the radio this morning :

-When asked about the regular season championship and and the SOCON tournament, Coach labeled that talk "rat poison" (partly in jest). Citadel is the next game, he said, and then we'll see after that what happens.

-Speaking of Citadel he said that the team needed to be ready for the junk defenses that they threw at them the last time and be ready for the dribble drive penetration that Citadel used so effectively the last time. He also said that ETSU's poor shooting at that game was just an off night sort of thing.

-Spoke briefly about WCU game, saying that other than the way too many turnovers, ETSU played fairly well.

-When asked about Payne coming off the bench, he said that he couldn't remember a player that he had coached who took care of business on and off the court more thoroughly than him. As an example he said that he has never had an academic meeting in regards to Devontavius.

-Coach noted that 7 of the normal rotation of 10 players that they used played last year. Of course, that probably would have changed if Rodriguez had not been injured. Which makes me think once again that fans may be in for something special next year as Forbes never seems to miss an opportunity to express regret that Rodriguez couldn't play this year.

-McCloud is still on antibiotics, but seems to be feeling better. Coach hopes that by this weekend or, at least, by the tournament he may be back at full strength.

-When asked about changes in what the team needs to do coming into this home stretch, Coach said they just need to play better. He and his staff aren't adjusting the offense or defense, they just want the team to execute better what they have already been doing.

-I believe Coach said that Peter will walk out on the court on senior day. His phone was a little bit buzzy, so I'm not absolutely sure of that. He said that the season had worn down Peter.
02-19-2018 10:07 AM
Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(02-19-2018 10:07 AM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  Coach Forbes on the radio this morning :

. . . He said that the season had worn down Peter.

Early in the WCU game, Peter had a contusion on his forehead, a pretty nice one — what we always called a "pump knot." He was keeping ice on it on the bench.

I can see how a season-long dose of banging and bumping can wear you down.

Looking forward to cheering for Peter and the rest at these last few home games.
02-20-2018 10:26 AM
brock20 Offline
1st String

any news on desonta's ankle?
02-20-2018 12:51 PM
Advertisement

PreacherPurl Offline
Bench Warmer

Y’all might want to check out Mike Young’s shot at the Bucs. It’s in Mark Weidmer’s Feb 18 column about Lamont Paris in Chatt Times Free Press.
02-20-2018 01:09 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

In a 4 game streak the Citadel got the attention of the SoCon: by beating Mercer, Furman and Wofford and doing everything possible to avoid making it 4 in a row by somehow dropping one to the Bucs.

Since that streak, the newly attentive SoCon opposition has won 4 straight over the Citadel: Chattanooga, Samford, UNCG and VMI have all beaten them.

Hopefully the Bucs will add themselves to the list of "woke" teams.

Citadel has been playing a short (in both senses of the word) roster recently with 5 guys averaging about 30 minutes or more.

Key players are 6-7 205 Zane Najdawi (20.0 ppg on .474 from 3; 6.0 rebounds); 6-1 150 Matt Frierson (16.1 ppg on .356 from 3; 3.1 rebounds); 5-5 150 Frankie Johnson (5.7 ppg, 3.7 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 1.9 steals) who average over 30 minutes per game in recent games. 6-4 225 Kaelon Harris (10.0 points on .292 from 3, and 6.1 rebounds); 6-6 190 Leandro Allende (4.3 points on .409 from 3, 3.1 rebounds) and 5-11 170 Quayson Williams (6.8 ppg on .382 from 3 and 2.3 rebounds) average over 20 minutes.

Frankie Johnson, muscular and low to the ground like Muggsy Bogues, controls the ball all day on the dribble but can’t shoot (FG% of .333, .270 from 3). 6-7 205 Zane Najdawi is a solid all around player and scorer but as their ‘biggest’ regular player doesn’t have the muscle or length to control the middle. 6-4 225 Kaelon Harris gives them muscle going to the basket and 6-1 150 Matt Frierson is the designated perimeter shooter averaging 4.2 makes per game in conference on .356 from 3. They gave us trouble with penetration and a variety of gimmick defenses last time, which Forbes assures us he has been working on.

It’s worth learning how to play these guys because we stand a very good chance of facing them again next week in the first round of the SoCon tournament.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 01:36 PM by swvabucsfan.)
02-20-2018 01:32 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2018 10:07 AM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  Coach Forbes on the radio this morning :

-I believe Coach said that Peter will walk out on the court on senior day. His phone was a little bit buzzy, so I'm not absolutely sure of that. He said that the season had worn down Peter.

That actually sounds ominous - like his season is over. Surely that's not what he meant to infer?
02-20-2018 01:37 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

(02-20-2018 01:09 PM)PreacherPurl Wrote:  Y’all might want to check out Mike Young’s shot at the Bucs. It’s in Mark Weidmer’s Feb 18 column about Lamont Paris in Chatt Times Free Press.

Yet that's not what most impresses the Wofford coach. Said Young, who has reached the NCAA tournament from a one-bid league four times since 2010: "Lamont could have come in here and found four graduate transfers and three junior college transfers and probably had a lot better record. But he chose to rebuild his program with nice kids who represent the university with class. He's doing it the right way, and they're going to be good again really soon."

Eh, I've seen worse.

You either have a coach/program the other schools like and talk well about or you have a coach/program that is good. I'll take good.
02-20-2018 01:44 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(02-20-2018 12:51 PM)brock20 Wrote:  any news on desonta's ankle?
Saw a media report that said it was a game time decision.
02-20-2018 01:47 PM
Advertisement

Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

I'd almost rather him rest it. He didn't practice yesterday
02-20-2018 02:08 PM
Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

Desonta is dressed but is not warming up.
02-20-2018 06:35 PM
Heisman

Obi-Rapu now so cold he's afraid to shoot it. They're *wanting* him to.
02-20-2018 07:49 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Fugly

Sent from my SM-G925V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-20-2018 08:06 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

Official Game Thread: The Citadel
(02-20-2018 07:49 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Obi-Rapu now so cold he's afraid to shoot it. They're *wanting* him to.

Ice cold. Already missed two wide open shots this half.
02-20-2018 08:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BartowZone Offline
2nd String

(02-20-2018 07:49 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Obi-Rapu now so cold he's afraid to shoot it. They're *wanting* him to.

My goodness. Feel bad for the guy.
The lack of an offensive playmaker with Bradford on the bench is startling. Would’ve hoped Payne would be that guy but he has been silent.
02-20-2018 08:12 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

Official Game Thread: The Citadel
I hope Bradford will be available Friday. We need him out there now.
02-20-2018 08:13 PM
Heisman

(02-20-2018 08:12 PM)BartowZone Wrote:  

My goodness. Feel bad for the guy.
The lack of an offensive playmaker with Bradford on the bench is startling. Would’ve hoped Payne would be that guy but he has been silent.

I know. Williams taking up *some* slack - but Bradford's absence is hurting quite a large amount, shall we kindly say. They've figured out who can hurt them, and who can't.
02-20-2018 08:13 PM
Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

I don’t understand why we have quit feeding the post.
02-20-2018 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.