Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

James Thompson leaving after the season?
Bookmark and Share
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Has anyone heard any inside information about his intentions after this season, his Junior year? Last year he declared for the draft but did not hire an agent and came back. While he bulked up, I think his game has regressed from an NBA standpoint. Last year he was shooting mid range jumpers and is not this year. His free throw shooting has also deteriorated. Realistically I cannot see him getting drafted by the NBA as 6'10" post up only guys are a dime a dozen.

Overseas basketball, however, is a different matter. I'm just wondering if anyone is privy to information about his future intentions.
02-17-2018 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

RE: James Thompson leaving after the season?
(02-17-2018 07:53 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Has anyone heard any inside information about his intentions after this season, his Junior year? Last year he declared for the draft but did not hire an agent and came back. While he bulked up, I think his game has regressed from an NBA standpoint. Last year he was shooting mid range jumpers and is not this year. His free throw shooting has also deteriorated. Realistically I cannot see him getting drafted by the NBA as 6'10" post up only guys are a dime a dozen.

Overseas basketball, however, is a different matter. I'm just wondering if anyone is privy to information about his future intentions.
James Thompson is a dominant post player. He would start virtually for any team in the country less a few ranked teams. However, if he wants to stick in the NBA league, he needs to develop finishing around the rim with mid range jumpers or finesse shots. He had some nice footwork on a spin move against CMU and finished with a soft hook. Comparing him to Grant Long, James is bigger in stature, i believe a better rebounder than Grant, has the same intensity as Grant, but I don't think his offensive game is as good as Grant right now. If James can improve his offensive footwork and touch on mid range shot, he'll be a 2nd Rd draft selection. The big question will be, can he improve his offensive skill under Murphy? If he doesn't think that he will, maybe he considers becoming a graduate transfer? Any school in the country would love JT4. I hope he comes back, there is no dominant player like James in this conference.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 11:25 PM by Luckeyone.)
02-17-2018 11:23 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
If I were him, I'd grad transfer to a program that could develop him...
02-17-2018 11:29 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
i agree with overseas. he needs to hit close to 3pt range to be an NBA prospect. if scouts think they can develop his shot, he'll get a chance in summer league. Richaun Holmes never shot the 3 in the MAC, but went bonkers practicing it a few summers ago and is now a successful backup.
02-17-2018 11:39 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Key is in this conference look at his games against Syracuse and Indiana he isn't ready for the NBA but maybe overseas yes he is a good player but even with him the program overall hasn't gone much over .500
02-18-2018 12:46 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Couple of thoughts:

1). Still not sure if he is a NBA draft prospect.

2). He is a very good student so why 'drop out' after 3 years without a degree? Unless he has a zillion credits from summers he won't graduate this summer so he shouldn't go anywhere (not be eligible for a grad transfer - those are usually players who have redhsirted and JT4 has not).
02-18-2018 01:33 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Murphy need to allow him to shoot more mid range shots. A lot of us seem to be saying he cannot shoot jumpers but we never get to see it. How do we know? Murphy needs to explore this. It's good for the player and would likely be good for the team. Murphy's inflexibility to do anything different is getting in the way.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018 09:05 AM by TheWoodenNickle.)
02-18-2018 09:04 AM
vannzee Offline
Special Teams

A lot of talk that JTIV will be in position to graduate.
02-18-2018 09:12 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-18-2018 09:12 AM)vannzee Wrote:  A lot of talk that JTIV will be in position to graduate.

Since I don't think JT4 is going to the NBA, I hope he stays around next year and does a graduate year in biology. I hope he doesn't pass up that opportunity.

Europe or the NBA D league can wait a year. (Please).
02-18-2018 09:24 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-18-2018 09:12 AM)vannzee Wrote:  A lot of talk that JTIV will be in position to graduate.

I think my fear is that some power conference team would love to have him as a grad transfer.
02-18-2018 09:43 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Selfishly, I want James to play at EMU because he's an unbelievable talent and exciting player.

However, if I am James, I would leave based on these incontrovertible reasons: 1) He doesn't get the exposure a player of his caliber deserves playing in the MAC on a 0.500 team. 2) He leads the conference in FG shooting % but I don't even think he's a top 10 scorer in the league because of a very poorly designed offensive system. When Grant Long played, he was the 1st option in the offense. There were several plays run to get Grant the ball down in the post. JT4 could improve his game by catching the ball and quickly attacking the basket by attempting to score or pass out of the double team depending on circumstances. Grant Long had unbelievable quicks and footwork in the post. Again JT4 needs to Improve his footwork. 3) Finally, we don't get fan support for the Basketball team. Who wants to play for 1500 when you can play in front of 15000? I attribute most of this due to untimely losses. EMU has a two game winning streak and another opportunity and winnable game (based on talent) this Tuesday at the Convo. I believe we will have a decent crowd in attendance. If we were in first place, I could envision at least 5000 in attendance.

Go Eagles!
02-18-2018 11:25 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2018 09:43 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

I think my fear is that some power conference team would love to have him as a grad transfer.

Yep, if he graduates, he's as good as gone. He'll be one of the most sought-after grad transfers in the entire nation, and will have many top programs knocking on his door. Same with Elijah Minnie.
02-18-2018 12:02 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2018 12:02 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Yep, if he graduates, he's as good as gone. He'll be one of the most sought-after grad transfers in the entire nation, and will have many top programs knocking on his door. Same with Elijah Minnie.
Seems like it would be difficult for a kid that transferred after 2 years to graduate in 4 years.
02-18-2018 12:22 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(02-18-2018 12:22 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

Seems like it would be difficult for a kid that transferred after 2 years to graduate in 4 years.

Actually Minnie has spent an additional year in college due to his transfer and I could see him elsewhere as a grad transfer.
02-18-2018 08:45 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2018 08:45 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(02-18-2018 12:22 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

Actually Minnie has spent an additional year in college due to his transfer and I could see him elsewhere as a grad transfer.

Two years at Robert Morris and two at EMU. Graduating in four years with a transfer in the middle in a challenge. Some credits may not transfer and some may not cover a requirement at the new school.
02-18-2018 08:57 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
It all depends on who is the coach next year
02-19-2018 09:09 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-19-2018 09:09 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  It all depends on who is the coach next year

I have NO inside info, but I would think that there are several important considerations:

1). Can JT4 graduate this spring?

2). How far in the MAC tourney do we go?

3). What is JT4's relationship with Murphy? If Murphy stays, is it a + or - for JT4, Minnie, etc?

Most of this is all 'locker room' type stuff. Folks in the locker room know. Outsiders do not.
02-19-2018 10:42 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

Honestly, taking the risk of going to a power 5 and regressing would be too great. I would come out if he grades out well. See if you can't get a decent NBA contract.
02-19-2018 11:01 AM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

I see him going P5 at a school who has other weapons in place and he is not needed to be the #1 target as his best bet. With a coach that draws up creative ways to get him the ball he could put up the same numbers against superior competition. He will simply not improve anymore at EMU where he is forced to work his ass off every possession just to get the ball down low. As much as I want him here another year and want him to break the rebounding and double double records it is not in JTs best interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-19-2018 11:23 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Does anyone else have reliable info that JT4 could graduate this year? Transferring anywhere would be based on whether or not he's eligible for grad transfer.
02-19-2018 11:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.