Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MLS service being replaced by ESPN+
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The streaming subscription service for Major League Soccer for out-of-market games is going away and all the content will go to ESPN+
ESPN bought the out-of-market rights with the new contract but hadn’t picked up any of the games
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/artic...ssion=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-13-2018 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ColKurtz Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: MLS service being replaced by ESPN+
(02-13-2018 08:15 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  The streaming subscription service for Major League Soccer for out-of-market games is going away and all the content will go to ESPN+
ESPN bought the out-of-market rights with the new contract but hadn’t picked up any of the games
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/artic...ssion=true

Seems like win win for everyone. Cheaper that the previous MLS package, and ESPN+ will offer a lot more than just soccer. Plus inventory for the new ESPN app.
02-13-2018 08:43 PM
orangefan Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
This is the first announcement that actually reveals some of ESPN's vision for this new service, and I'm impressed. FWIW, soccer on television has substantially better demographics than any other major team sport, even basketball. This aligns nicely with the demographic of those most likely to rely on streaming as their major viewing platform.

Some predictions for other possible programming:
- An NBA out of market game of the day similar to Yahoo!'s package with the NHL and MLB.
- More soccer, probably international leagues like Mexico and Italy.
- International sports with small but devoted followings like cricket and rugby.
02-14-2018 10:15 AM
solohawks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNCW
I am curious as to what else will be included in ESPN +. They cannot cut ESPN 3 too much because they are getting paid per internet subscriber on that end, so if they remove all that value providers will demand not to pay the fee per internet user to ESPN.
02-14-2018 03:46 PM

Attackcoog Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(02-14-2018 03:46 PM)solohawks Wrote:  I am curious as to what else will be included in ESPN +. They cannot cut ESPN 3 too much because they are getting paid per internet subscriber on that end, so if they remove all that value providers will demand not to pay the fee per internet user to ESPN.

I think ESPN3 is destined to basically be a streaming depot for the ESPN family of networks. ESPN-Plus will be just that---an additional mostly unique network that shares little programming with ESPN other than maybe Sports Center. That said, its possible ESPN-Plus has its own version of Sports Center thats more focused on its own content arena.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 09:40 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-14-2018 05:07 PM
Attackcoog Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(02-14-2018 10:15 AM)orangefan Wrote:  This is the first announcement that actually reveals some of ESPN's vision for this new service, and I'm impressed. FWIW, soccer on television has substantially better demographics than any other major team sport, even basketball. This aligns nicely with the demographic of those most likely to rely on streaming as their major viewing platform.

- An NBA out of market game of the day similar to Yahoo!'s package with the NHL and MLB.
- International sports with small but devoted followings like cricket and rugby.

They have already said non-P5 college sports will part of the package.
02-14-2018 05:09 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-14-2018 05:09 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-14-2018 10:15 AM)orangefan Wrote:  This is the first announcement that actually reveals some of ESPN's vision for this new service, and I'm impressed. FWIW, soccer on television has substantially better demographics than any other major team sport, even basketball. This aligns nicely with the demographic of those most likely to rely on streaming as their major viewing platform.

Makes sense since the ACC, P12, B10 and SEC streams their non revenue sports. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I know I enjoyed catching App State and other G5 football games on ESPN3 but I certainly would not pay extra to watch these teams.
02-14-2018 08:14 PM

ColKurtz Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(02-14-2018 08:14 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Makes sense since the ACC, P12, B10 and SEC streams their non revenue sports. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I know I enjoyed catching App State and other G5 football games on ESPN3 but I certainly would not pay extra to watch these teams.

Sports streamed on ESPN+ are explicitly things that are not available on the ESPN cable channels. That doesn't mean that a CUSA/MAC game not picked up by one of the ESPN channels would be on ESPN+; it would end up on ESPN3(WatchESPN), thus requiring a cable subscription. No FBS football, probably little if any FCS football, or basketball games of note will be on the app. This clearly seems to be an app targeting sports that would ben on The Ocho.
02-15-2018 01:26 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(02-15-2018 01:26 AM)ColKurtz Wrote:  

Sports streamed on ESPN+ are explicitly things that are not available on the ESPN cable channels. That doesn't mean that a CUSA/MAC game not picked up by one of the ESPN channels would be on ESPN+; it would end up on ESPN3(WatchESPN), thus requiring a cable subscription. No FBS football, probably little if any FCS football, or basketball games of note will be on the app. This clearly seems to be an app targeting sports that would ben on The Ocho.

I’m not so sure. They have several years of ESPN3 data. I bet they have an educated guess as to what they can move to Plus to sell subscriptions.
They don’t make any real effort to monetize content on 3 beyond the carriage fee.
An Arkansas-Monticello vs Ouachita Baptist football game isn’t going to produce many people asking ESPN to take their $5. But a Wichita State vs UConn hoops game has two fan bases that will pay.
Sun Belt people seem really upbeat about their renewal talks with ESPN. That makes me believe Plus is a part of the deal. In 2015 AState averaged nearly 14k for ESPN3 games not counting the 134k for a home game with Mizzou. Even if only a fourth sign up to pay the Sun Belt is probably worth a minimum of $1 million in new revenue for content currently on ESPN3.
I would also bet that the $5 per month figure being thrown out is based on a single annual payment with month-to-month closer $6.50 or $7.

02-15-2018 05:21 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-15-2018 05:21 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(02-15-2018 01:26 AM)ColKurtz Wrote:  

I’m not so sure. They have several years of ESPN3 data. I bet they have an educated guess as to what they can move to Plus to sell subscriptions.
They don’t make any real effort to monetize content on 3 beyond the carriage fee.
An Arkansas-Monticello vs Ouachita Baptist football game isn’t going to produce many people asking ESPN to take their $5. But a Wichita State vs UConn hoops game has two fan bases that will pay.
Sun Belt people seem really upbeat about their renewal talks with ESPN. That makes me believe Plus is a part of the deal. In 2015 AState averaged nearly 14k for ESPN3 games not counting the 134k for a home game with Mizzou. Even if only a fourth sign up to pay the Sun Belt is probably worth a minimum of $1 million in new revenue for content currently on ESPN3.
I would also bet that the $5 per month figure being thrown out is based on a single annual payment with month-to-month closer $6.50 or $7.

Only issue I see with this scenario, UCONN and WSU being an ESPN+ game. I doubt the AAC would want or ever consider this. Goes against their P6 narrative. ECU vs USF in basketball, I could understand being on ESPN+
02-15-2018 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.