Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTSA Students Vote Against Athletic Fee Hike
Bookmark and Share
Volkmar Offline
1st String

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
UTSA Students Vote Against Athletic Fee Hike
One step to trying to get on par with the rest of the FBS in facilities just took a hit.

Athletics Fee Voting Results

For – 1,439 or 23.3%
Against – 4,734 or 76.7%

Transportation Fee Voting Results

For – 1,857 or 30.1%
Against – 4,316 or 69.9%

"The fee increase was requested to enhance the students’ experience at UTSA sporting events, support recruiting student-athletes, maintain and upgrade athletic facilities, upgrade video equipment and expand staff to televise programs at Conference USA standards, and hire and retain athletic managers and trainers to support student well-being."

Some are holding our faculty partly to blame, as some faculty had "Vote No" signs in their departments. Convenient that students don't get to vote on tuition hikes, salaries, lab fees, etc.

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2018/02/story/FeeVote.html
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 07:43 PM by Volkmar.)
02-08-2018 07:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: UTSA Students Vote Against Athletic Fee Hike
I think UNT has a similar fee vote coming up. Hope it passes.
02-08-2018 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AustinFromUNT Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNT
UNT is trying to raise the student athletic fee from $12/hour to $16.25/hour. Not looking good tbh.
02-08-2018 10:28 PM
Ourland Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: G5ers
It's just my opinion, but students shouldn't be asked to fund much of anything related to athletics. After all, going to college is about getting an education. Hit up the big donors for money, or hustle up more corporate sponsors to shoulder the burden.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 02:59 AM by Ourland.)
02-09-2018 02:58 AM

SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
In texas, do these student votes have any legitimate authority or are they just opinion polls? IIRC, in some instances where these student votes have occurred, the universities have ignored the results and gone ahead with the fees.
02-09-2018 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Collin_Ellis Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Tech
(02-09-2018 02:58 AM)Ourland Wrote:  It's just my opinion, but students shouldn't be asked to fund much of anything related to athletics. After all, going to college is about getting an education. Hit up the big donors for money, or hustle up more corporate sponsors to shoulder the burden.

As a student I voted for a fee that assisted in funding end zone facility at Tech. I saw it as an opportunity to enhance facilities, recruiting, and for the football team to become more competitive. When I tell people (locally in N Louisiana) I went to Tech they immediately talk about how much Tech is doing with facilities and to improve the campus. They often mention the recent run of bowl wins etc. Point is they all talk about athletics. It is the face of the university in a lot of ways.

That said I understand what you are saying. Students are already paying a lot in most cases.
02-09-2018 08:39 AM
THUNDERGround Offline
All American

I Root For: The HERD!!!
(02-08-2018 07:41 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  One step to trying to get on par with the rest of the FBS in facilities just took a hit.

Athletics Fee Voting Results

For – 1,439 or 23.3%
Against – 4,734 or 76.7%

Transportation Fee Voting Results

For – 1,857 or 30.1%
Against – 4,316 or 69.9%

"The fee increase was requested to enhance the students’ experience at UTSA sporting events, support recruiting student-athletes, maintain and upgrade athletic facilities, upgrade video equipment and expand staff to televise programs at Conference USA standards, and hire and retain athletic managers and trainers to support student well-being."

Some are holding our faculty partly to blame, as some faculty had "Vote No" signs in their departments. Convenient that students don't get to vote on tuition hikes, salaries, lab fees, etc.

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2018/02/story/FeeVote.html

Not just defeated.... Overwhelmingly defeated. Ouch.
02-09-2018 09:12 AM

EagNBran Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
We had a vote like this a few years back at USM. Some band student didn’t like that, as part of tuition, every student paid an athletic fee. His complaints gained some traction, enough to bring it to a vote that would totally be ignored by leadership, but it failed. Shockingly enough, most people would rather get into games free all year and have however many $s taken out of their tuition that they don’t actually see. Also, the majority of our students love sports.

The band guy got a very bad rep around the school.
02-09-2018 09:24 AM
eagle04 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-09-2018 02:58 AM)Ourland Wrote:  It's just my opinion, but students shouldn't be asked to fund much of anything related to athletics. After all, going to college is about getting an education. Hit up the big donors for money, or hustle up more corporate sponsors to shoulder the burden.

IMO, it depends on how the money is allocated. If it is for facility/infrastructure improvements,etc. I would hope that most students would be for that.

Southern Miss had an enrollment of 14,554 in 2016. If there was an additional $100 worked in to their tuition, that would give the school an additional $1.5M in funds.
02-09-2018 09:45 AM
AustinFromUNT Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNT
In Texas, the student athletics fee can be raised by $1 1 time without a vote. After that the student body must vote for further raises. After each raise though, the 1 time $1 resets.
02-09-2018 10:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.