Open TigerLinks

"They all think they should be winning right away"
Bookmark and Share
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
MyBB "They all think they should be winning right away"

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...312435002/

"...But I know we’re on the right path. I know we got the right people here, right people in place, and it’s never easy,” Smith continued. “And it’s always been the same wherever I’ve been, whether it’s Tulsa, Georgia, Texas Tech, Minnesota.

“They all think they should be winning right away. They all think the coach, but I think the first thing I said when I took the job here was, ‘patience,’ and that’s what I’ve always believed in: Patience. It just doesn’t happen. So it’s been a few years now, but we’re getting there...”
02-07-2018 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: "They all think they should be winning right away"
Delusional
02-07-2018 09:46 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Quote:But Smith also lamented the mistakes made in critical moments, mistakes that this group of eight new scholarship players has been making all season long, and how Wichita State took advantage of them. How the pregame emphasis had been on boxing out and rebounding, and yet the Shockers were “manhandling us on the boards.” How “our starters just didn’t produce.” How this team is still learning “every possession is important.”

You can teach all you want, but there is a ceiling when it comes to performance because your players are not as big, not as strong, not as quick and not as skilled as any decent opponent. The players are doing as well as can be expected.

At least Tubby finally sort of accepted some responsibility and acknowledged that recruiting is important.
02-07-2018 09:47 AM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2018 09:47 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
Quote:But Smith also lamented the mistakes made in critical moments, mistakes that this group of eight new scholarship players has been making all season long, and how Wichita State took advantage of them. How the pregame emphasis had been on boxing out and rebounding, and yet the Shockers were “manhandling us on the boards.” How “our starters just didn’t produce.” How this team is still learning “every possession is important.”

You can teach all you want, but there is a ceiling when it comes to performance because your players are not as big, not as strong, not as quick and not as skilled as any decent opponent. The players are doing as well as can be expected.

At least Tubby finally sort of accepted some responsibility and acknowledged that recruiting is important.

Except he mentioned redshirting players. My freaking God, that's a 25 year ago thing.
02-07-2018 09:50 AM
stratecashomie Offline
Feelin' Blue

The quote in there about him and his staff “busting their tails” and the quote about redshirting guys shows how out of touch he actually is
02-07-2018 09:52 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2018 09:46 AM)tiger1016 Wrote:  Delusional

Or deceptive?
I guess it doesn't matter-both lead to the results we are getting. But again, Tubby's saying it's OUR fault as fans is tragically poor leadership.
02-07-2018 09:53 AM
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2018 09:40 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...312435002/

"...But I know we’re on the right path. I know we got the right people here, right people in place, and it’s never easy,” Smith continued. “And it’s always been the same wherever I’ve been, whether it’s Tulsa, Georgia, Texas Tech, Minnesota.

“They all think they should be winning right away. They all think the coach, but I think the first thing I said when I took the job here was, ‘patience,’ and that’s what I’ve always believed in: Patience. It just doesn’t happen. So it’s been a few years now, but we’re getting there...”
Have patience and we are doing it the right way are the retorts of loser coaches all over the country.

Most coaches have the decency to recruit freshman they say they’re doing it the right way and not five Juco transfers
02-07-2018 09:53 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

I was brutal with Larry for most of his tenure, but I sure softened up after I saw up close during the 1997 season that he was ill. Maybe Tubby isn't, but I am going to take the same stance with him now. I know he puts his foot in his mouth, but his recent statements suggest that maybe something isn't right. I pray that I'm wrong.
02-07-2018 09:55 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Oh good. He thinks everything is fine.
02-07-2018 09:56 AM
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2018 09:53 AM)holyterror Wrote:  

Or deceptive?
I guess it doesn't matter-both lead to the results we are getting. But again, Tubby's saying it's OUR fault as fans is tragically poor leadership.

Yep. Deflecting blame by calling the fans unrealistic. He knows exactly what he's doing
02-07-2018 09:57 AM
WColt45 Offline
Tigris Fanaticus

I Root For: West TN Normal
Who was it that said fans would be the next to get thrown under the bus by Tubby? Good call. Now we all shouldn't expect to win in year 2. What he fails to mention is that he ran off most of the existing talent we had on the team and had to scramble by signing JUCOs and no help is on the way with incoming recruits. We don't expect a national championship, or even a NCAA bid really, but we do expect to beat ECU and not lose by 20 on our home floor to anyone. In the end, the coach is responsible for the product that is put on the court and what is on the court is subpar to what Memphis should be. No offense to the players, because they're playing their hearts out, but Tubby shouldn't have put them in this position in the first place. He's blamed everyone except himself and the other coaches sitting next to him.
02-07-2018 10:08 AM
Advertisement

EricSigEpTNBeta183 Offline
1st String

(02-07-2018 09:50 AM)jgardne Wrote:  
(02-07-2018 09:47 AM)Stammers Wrote:  

Except he mentioned redshirting players. My freaking God, that's a 25 year ago thing.

Connor Vanover? It would be what’s best for the program. Even more so now that you see the product that will be on the floor next year. Redshirt the kid and get him bigger/stronger for the 2019-2020 season.
02-07-2018 10:23 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(02-07-2018 09:57 AM)ksigtigerdood Wrote:  Yep. Deflecting blame by calling the fans unrealistic. He knows exactly what he's doing

Or Tubby has no mirror.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 10:25 AM by Tigers2B1.)
02-07-2018 10:24 AM
TigerK Offline
Hall of Famer

THIS
02-07-2018 10:32 AM
TigerK Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2018 10:08 AM)WColt45 Wrote:  Who was it that said fans would be the next to get thrown under the bus by Tubby? Good call. Now we all shouldn't expect to win in year 2. What he fails to mention is that he ran off most of the existing talent we had on the team and had to scramble by signing JUCOs and no help is on the way with incoming recruits. We don't expect a national championship, or even a NCAA bid really, but we do expect to beat ECU and not lose by 20 on our home floor to anyone. In the end, the coach is responsible for the product that is put on the court and what is on the court is subpar to what Memphis should be. No offense to the players, because they're playing their hearts out, but Tubby shouldn't have put them in this position in the first place. He's blamed everyone except himself and the other coaches sitting next to him.

Also this!!
02-07-2018 10:34 AM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

He acts like the program was at rock bottom when he arrived. He needed 1 good recruiting class to get back to the NCAA's. He didn't do it and now blames 'expectations'.

The words I hope Dr Rudd hears from his wife "Honey, I through with the Tub, drain it..."
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 10:39 AM by midtowncowboy.)
02-07-2018 10:38 AM
Advertisement

Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
He inherited an underachieving, high talent team.
He ran off most of said talent.

He created a overachieving, lower talent team.
He has not gotten talent on par with what he inherited.

He needs to recruit more talent.
Or he needs to leave.
02-07-2018 10:50 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2018 10:08 AM)WColt45 Wrote:  Who was it that said fans would be the next to get thrown under the bus by Tubby? Good call. Now we all shouldn't expect to win in year 2. What he fails to mention is that he ran off most of the existing talent we had on the team and had to scramble by signing JUCOs and no help is on the way with incoming recruits. We don't expect a national championship, or even a NCAA bid really, but we do expect to beat ECU and not lose by 20 on our home floor to anyone. In the end, the coach is responsible for the product that is put on the court and what is on the court is subpar to what Memphis should be. No offense to the players, because they're playing their hearts out, but Tubby shouldn't have put them in this position in the first place. He's blamed everyone except himself and the other coaches sitting next to him.

Well said. I yield the remainder of my time to WColt45.
02-07-2018 10:51 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2018 10:38 AM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  He acts like the program was at rock bottom when he arrived. He needed 1 good recruiting class to get back to the NCAA's. He didn't do it and now blames 'expectations'.

This x 1 million

This old coot walked into a program with Dedric, KJ, Crawford and Jeremiah. He made no effort to keep Nick Marshall or Avery Woodson. 1st thing he did was take a vacation.
02-07-2018 10:51 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(02-07-2018 10:51 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(02-07-2018 10:38 AM)midtowncowboy Wrote:  He acts like the program was at rock bottom when he arrived. He needed 1 good recruiting class to get back to the NCAA's. He didn't do it and now blames 'expectations'.

This x 1 million

This old coot walked into a program with Dedric, KJ, Crawford and Jeremiah. He made no effort to keep Nick Marshall or Avery Woodson. 1st thing he did was take a vacation.

And I yield my time to this feller as long as doesn’t go ape poop ...
02-07-2018 10:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.