Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trey Gowdy admits he's a bad politician
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
Trey Gowdy admits he's a bad politician
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/372208...politician

At least he's honest. One lemming down. Many to go.
02-05-2018 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Trey Gowdy admits he's a bad politician
(02-05-2018 05:17 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  http://thehill.com/homenews/house/372208...politician

Too good for politics.
02-05-2018 05:42 PM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
He didn't like toting the party line when he knew it was wrong.
02-05-2018 06:00 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(02-05-2018 06:00 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  He didn't like toting the party line when he knew it was wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice if that was a requirement to hold office? That'd really mess with both Dems and Reps.
02-05-2018 06:05 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
I hope he's named special prosecutor to investigate Hillary's basement server. He wouldn't stop with Cankles.
02-05-2018 06:08 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
For several elections I held my nose and voted for a liberal House member because he had the stones to vote what he thought was right regardless of what the Democratic party thought and sometimes what the district thought, he was more liberal than his district but he was a straight shooter and never tap danced. His office was the go to if you had a veteran having trouble with VA, even if you didn't live in his district.

Democrats made noise about cutting off campaign money and running a "real" Democrat against him. He said screw it and came home. Democrats haven't won the seat since but sadly we have had a string of bought and paid fors who provide lousy constituent services and just tow the line of the pac money.

DC is going to be fecal waste pond until we get straight shooters willing to risk re-election.
02-05-2018 06:09 PM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(02-05-2018 06:05 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 06:00 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  He didn't like toting the party line when he knew it was wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice if that was a requirement to hold office? That'd really mess with both Dems and Reps.

I agree. I certainly have more respect for Trey Gowdy now than I did a year ago.
02-05-2018 06:14 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(02-05-2018 05:42 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 05:17 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  http://thehill.com/homenews/house/372208...politician

Too good for politics.

XACLY!

cb and the other 'party before country' on there knees only understand 'their' game.....

hence, #termlimits that work towards a long term logical solution....

pay 'em their worth to write solid laws and legislate on the front end....eliminate insider leveraging, and let's see how those chips fall moving forward.....

it's amazing how too many get caught up in what DJT simply exposed......

as I knew I would, I've grown tired of this bs banter......
02-05-2018 06:16 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

Alternately, even though he's said he didn't want the job, Trump could name him AG after he runs off the limp-wristed Sessions.
02-05-2018 06:16 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(02-05-2018 06:16 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Too good for politics.

XACLY!

cb and the other 'party before country' on there knees only understand 'their' game.....

pay 'em their worth to write solid laws and legislate on the front end....eliminate insider leveraging, and let's see how those chips fall moving forward.....

I'm not happy with what I've seen of term limits in Arkansas. Guys are coming in grabbing what they can fast as they can. After three terms people with mediocre resumes before becoming elected are suddenly landing great jobs in the industries they helped or worse getting in doing things designed to bolster their own business.

Term limits HAS to be tied to much tougher ethics laws is what I've learned or else they are in panic trying to snag everything they can before they term out.
02-05-2018 06:22 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(02-05-2018 06:22 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Too good for politics.

XACLY!

I'm not happy with what I've seen of term limits in Arkansas. Guys are coming in grabbing what they can fast as they can. After three terms people with mediocre resumes before becoming elected are suddenly landing great jobs in the industries they helped or worse getting in doing things designed to bolster their own business.

Term limits HAS to be tied to much tougher ethics laws is what I've learned or else they are in panic trying to snag everything they can before they term out.

Interesting perspective. I've been strongly in favor, at least conceptually, of term limits. What you've referenced is not something I've given any thought to. Thanks.
02-05-2018 06:26 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(02-05-2018 06:26 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Too good for politics.

XACLY!

Interesting perspective. I've been strongly in favor, at least conceptually, of term limits. What you've referenced is not something I've given any thought to. Thanks.

whether the state, city, or fed level, that's where 'real oversight' comes into play....

I completely agree...

it's a comprehensive change that has to happen in tandem or it won't work.....

edit: the question still remains..... is it too embeded to take a stab at 'that' reform....

I'm not holding my breath.....especially at the local/state level in oversight....
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 06:58 PM by stinkfist.)
02-05-2018 06:44 PM
stinkfist Offline

(02-05-2018 06:16 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  Alternately, even though he's said he didn't want the job, Trump could name him AG after he runs off the limp-wristed Sessions.

that's plausible....and what some of us were begging for awhile back....

you'd have to ask him.....
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 06:58 PM by stinkfist.)
02-05-2018 06:48 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(02-05-2018 06:44 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 05:42 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Too good for politics.

XACLY!

whether the state, city, or fed level, that's where 'real oversight' comes into play....

I completely agree...

edit: the question still remains..... is it too embeded to take a stab at 'that' reform....

I'm not holding my breath.....especially at the local/state level in oversight....

The ethics limitations are the critical element. Shepherd through "banking reform" and you end up in a high paying banking job when you leave or you push Medicaid "reform" and your wife owns a company that profits you've got a problem, or as we had, a guy who owned several daycares pushed deregulation of daycares and no one noticed until a kid died at one when left in a van in the summer when the driver failed to have the required alarm (when the van is turned off it makes a terrible noise, you have to go to the back to turn it off so it forces you to see if there are any kids still on the van). Term limits push you to act fast and act big instead of playing the long-game like the old time legislators did. They didn't try to get everything they needed to benefit in six years.

I just think it is wildly improbable that an amendment would ever make it through at the Federal level.

Right now I'd settle for changing House terms to four years and Senate to eight and making them line up with presidential elections ending off the year elections. I think it would dial down the crazy because elections wouldn't be so frequent and it cuts down the pressure to constantly fund-raise.
02-06-2018 12:21 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(02-05-2018 06:16 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  Alternately, even though he's said he didn't want the job, Trump could name him AG after he runs off the limp-wristed Sessions.

I continue to think Sessions is gonna surprise a LOT of us in the near future. His job isn't to be out there making speeches, holding pressers or tweeting. Leave that to the schittalker in chief.

As I've said, Like a duck on a pond.

These wheels aturnin', those legs aswimmin.
02-06-2018 12:33 AM
stinkfist Offline

(02-06-2018 12:21 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 06:44 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 06:16 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  XACLY!

I completely agree...

The ethics limitations are the critical element. Shepherd through "banking reform" and you end up in a high paying banking job when you leave or you push Medicaid "reform" and your wife owns a company that profits you've got a problem, or as we had, a guy who owned several daycares pushed deregulation of daycares and no one noticed until a kid died at one when left in a van in the summer when the driver failed to have the required alarm (when the van is turned off it makes a terrible noise, you have to go to the back to turn it off so it forces you to see if there are any kids still on the van). Term limits push you to act fast and act big instead of playing the long-game like the old time legislators did. They didn't try to get everything they needed to benefit in six years.

I just think it is wildly improbable that an amendment would ever make it through at the Federal level.

Right now I'd settle for changing House terms to four years and Senate to eight and making them line up with presidential elections ending off the year elections. I think it would dial down the crazy because elections wouldn't be so frequent and it cuts down the pressure to constantly fund-raise.

no question the ethics issue is a monster.....

I like that last posit.....it would still require an amendment.....no differently than the 22nd amendment....you'd be changing the term periods for both and would have to extend some existing house/senate terms to achieve that synergy.....

however, that's a pretty dayum good idea relative to today's scenario....

I'm hardly a constitutional laureate, but I would assume the 2 yr limit for the house was due to what became gerrymandering.....
02-06-2018 05:24 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(02-06-2018 12:33 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

I continue to think Sessions is gonna surprise a LOT of us in the near future. His job isn't to be out there making speeches, holding pressers or tweeting. Leave that to the schittalker in chief.

I can only hope you're right....

fwiw, there's this......my head sunk when that goofball came with that posit.....it's stupid to pursue at this point.....I'll never support any form of what tricky dick created w/o a fk'n clue what he was talking about....

http://www.newsweek.com/members-congress...ana-791086

Quote:Bipartisan lawmakers are urging the Trump administration to back off of marijuana, they wrote in a letter on Thursday.

The letter, an effort spearheaded by Senator Elizabeth Warren, Democrat of Massachusetts and Representative Jared Polis, Democrat of Colorado, urged the president to stand in Attorney General Jeff Sessions' way as he attempts to roll back protections for marijuana in the United States, focusing on the president's campaign promises to leave marijuana alone. Fifty-four members of Congress signed.

"As a candidate, you stated: 'I really believe we should leave [marijuana] up to the states' and that 'it's got to be a state decision.' We trust that you still hold this belief, and we request that you urge the Attorney General to reinstate the Cole Memorandum," the letter read.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 05:33 AM by stinkfist.)
02-06-2018 05:33 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(02-05-2018 06:09 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  For several elections I held my nose and voted for a liberal House member because he had the stones to vote what he thought was right regardless of what the Democratic party thought and sometimes what the district thought, he was more liberal than his district but he was a straight shooter and never tap danced. His office was the go to if you had a veteran having trouble with VA, even if you didn't live in his district.

Democrats made noise about cutting off campaign money and running a "real" Democrat against him. He said screw it and came home. Democrats haven't won the seat since but sadly we have had a string of bought and paid fors who provide lousy constituent services and just tow the line of the pac money.

DC is going to be fecal waste pond until we get straight shooters willing to risk re-election.

I would fight for the country, not for the party. That is wrong on both sides of the asle. Tom Cotton is for the party, and not what is best for the people. Same thing with Democrats like Pelosi and Schumer. It is time to get rid of these people and elect people who are for the people and not for the party. Regan's Compassionate Conservative have died a long time ago. He would be rolling in his grave right now on how far right the Republicans have became. JFK is rolling in his grave on how far right the Democrats have gone. There is such things as a Compassionate Liberal as well. If the Compassionate R and the Compassionate D come together to passed bills that are not too far right and not too far left? We might be able to get our country back on track.
02-06-2018 07:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(02-05-2018 06:14 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 06:05 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

I agree. I certainly have more respect for Trey Gowdy now than I did a year ago.

Agree. Even though he reminds me of the spoiled brat in Harry Potter, I have new found respect for him, same as McCain and sometimes even Graham.
02-06-2018 08:19 AM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(02-06-2018 12:33 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

I hope you're right.
02-06-2018 08:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.